José Enrique

Baggio

I really hope we try and keep him personally.

totally agree. thought he was developing into a decent player last season. however, i take the point about his wages maybe being a possible barrier to that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Not-even-Jose-Mourinho-could-save-crazy-Newcastle-says-Jose-Enrique-article137345.html

Not even Jose Mourinho could save 'crazy' Newcastle, says Jose Enrique

Published 23:40 29/08/09 By Brian McNally

Toon star Jose Enrique has branded Newcastle United a “crazy club“ that not even Jose Mourinho could manage.

The Spanish defender insists that if the Magpies player exodus continues and suitable replacements aren’t found before Tuesday’s transfer deadline not even a manager of Mourinho’s immense talents could make a difference.

Enrique said:“I think all the senior players here say the same: we need some new players.

“I believe in Chris Hughton and have confidence in him. But Mourinho could come here and would have the same problem, we don’t have many players.”

Enrique insists that he wants out of the Championship, but is adamant that, despite the talent drain, he doesn’t want out of St. James’ Park.

Unlike some of the club’s departed stars, Enrique has pledged to stay and repay the fabulous loyalty of the Toon Army, almost 44,000 of whom packed into St. James’ for the last home game.

Now as he prepares for the Bank Holiday visit of Leicester there are suggestions that the gate could even go close to 50,000 after caretaker Hughton guided Newcastle to four successive wins.

Enrique added: “Things at the club were crazy here last season, but I have to think it’s not my problem.

“I just have to play, and play well. If all the team think like that and we sign some new players, we can get back to the Premier League.

“The support at Newcastle is unbelievable. The fans here are incredible, the best in England.

“Would a team in the Spanish Second Division get 44,000 fans for a game? No way.

“There is no chance of a team in the First Division in Spain getting 44,000, except Real Madrid and Barcelona.”

Enrique admits he left Villarreal to play Champions League football with international stars such as Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins and finds playing in the Championship a challenge he did not expect.

But he insists he has the stomach for a Championship promotion battle even if his Spanish-speaking friends Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Xisco are sold.

He revealed: “When I signed for Newcastle there were many famous names here - Michael Owen, Oba Martins and others.

“I thought I would be playing Champions League football here, now I play in the Championship. It’s strange!

“All the time I read in the papers that I will go here or there, but I’m happy here. I want to get this club back into the Premier League.

“I listen to talk about a lot of players coming and going but I want to stay no matter who leaves.”

Enrique has great faith in Hughton’s approach to the game and the caretaker has indicated that he has turned down job offers to try and win a permanent contract at Newcastle.

Hughton revealed: “I have had offers to go elsewhere. Certainly, there have been enquiries. But I haven’t been tempted one little bit, simply because of the position we’ve been in.

“Not at any stage have I thought about walking away. In the time I’ve been here, either as temporary manager or coach, there have been difficult times.

“The difficult times were that we were at the wrong end of the Premier League table, the problems with trying to sell the club.

“Certainly, for me to walk away from all that would have just added to the problems. Yes. I still fancy the job. I would be happy to be in control of this group of lads for as long a period as the club wanted me to be.”

Whata-guy :lol:

If we keep him this division is an absolute piece of piss for him and he's a massive asset to the team. And you suspect that Hughton has possibly turned down manageiral positions to stay here with the complete mess that is NUFC, so fair play to him there, he could have left us in an even bigger mess!

Very early on, but probably our best player so far this season or certainly one of them! Whilst I was hoping for progress on signings today, to hear both Taylor and Enrique re-iterate their commitment to the cause is refreshing....though I'm not naive enough to think there's no chance they won't be playing elsewhere come 5pm Tuesday :lol:

Really surprised he hasn't been linked with a move away (has there been any?). Had a few shaky moments mid season but like you say massive asset in our side.

Every so often he gets linked with a move back to Spain, i think Atletico Madrid were mentioned most recently. But suprisingly none of their clubs seem to have put a serious bid in.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Really surprised he hasn't been linked with a move away (has there been any?). Had a few shaky moments mid season but like you say massive asset in our side.

Every so often he gets linked with a move back to Spain, i think Atletico Madrid were mentioned most recently. But suprisingly none of their clubs seem to have put a serious bid in.

Or worryingly, we could be sitting in a Given type scenario where 3 or 4 players know they're going its just being left to the last minute to move them.

Or worryingly, we could be sitting in a Given type scenario where 3 or 4 players know they're going its just being left to the last minute to move them.

I think the way things are now nobody knows what's happening to them until suddenly they're told off you go! Theres been a few interviews now with Hugton and players where they basically say from day to day they haven't got a fucking clue whats happening!

So i agree with you that there could easilly be more players going, i just doubt that they have any idea yet!

As people have said it's really refreshing to hear these things from one of our best players. TBH I wasn't sure about Enrique when he first came but it seems he's got better and better and although this league may not be the perfect stage to improve Enrique I'm sure that he'll become better and better.

Knowing this mental club I know not to assume that Enrique will definatly be staying but this is encouraging. As the boy said we need new players!

Makes such a nice change to see a player bought in from abroad have this sort of attitude.

Given this interview, it'll interesting to see if he stays put. If he doesn't then it would just confirm once again that players are being sold, regardless of what the manager or fans, or even in the odd case the player himself, wants.

As people have said it's really refreshing to hear these things from one of our best players. TBH I wasn't sure about Enrique when he first came but it seems he's got better and better and although this league may not be the perfect stage to improve Enrique I'm sure that he'll become better and better.

Knowing this mental club I know not to assume that Enrique will definatly be staying but this is encouraging. As the boy said we need new players!

Were you formerly known as 'I R Toon Fan?' What happened? Forgot your password? :lol: