José Enrique

Baggio

It appears to me that we are being kept in the dark (not surprising) as to whether there has actually been active interest in Enrique from any Club, and any bid been put in for him, or is it all just paper-talk (not surprising)

I would think that any Club would want him aboard for pre-season training although I can see the benefit of waiting 'til January to get a better deal before Enrique walks away to any Club when his contract expires.

It will be interesting to see if he shows up for training on Monday or asks for a holiday extension or time off for family matters.(not surprising if he does)

It would be interesting to know just what healthy(wealthy) contract has been offered him by us. Obviously not a one he can hardly wait to sign.

At anytime, has Enrique expressed a desire to leave Newcastle, or again is it all paper-talk?

I can see players wanting to play in Europe, but I would think that Enrique's priority is to play for his country and he could do that just as easily by putting in outstanding performences for Newcastle as opposed to any other team home or abroard.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-28983902/

LIVERPOOL will step up their pursuit of Jose Enrique this week – for fear of losing out on the Spaniard to Arsenal.

The Gunners are set to sell French left-back Gael Clichy to Manchester City, pocketing £7m.

Sources in London claim Arsene Wenger has targeted Enrique – along with Everton’s Leighton Baines – as potential replacements.

And that could prompt Liverpool to firm up their long-standing interest in the Newcastle United defender.

The Reds have been linked with Enrique – out of contract in a year – since before the end of last season, when the 25-year-old revealed he could leave St James’ Park.

United have yet to receive an enquiry or bid for the player. However, that could all change now the summer transfer market is hotting up, with many clubs returning for pre-season training in the coming week.

Newcastle remain in legal limbo over a move for Swansea City’s Neil Taylor – who could be perceived to be a potential replacement for Enrique.

But while that deal remains tied up in red tape, reports claiming Alan Pardew has turned his attention to Manchester City’s Wayne Bridge would appear to be wide of the mark.

The 30-year-old does not fit Mike Ashley’s policy of promising, young talent with a sell-on value. His wages – understood to be in the region of £80,000-a-week – are out of United’s austere price range.

Meanwhile, Pardew believes Newcastle’s forthcoming pre-season tour of the US will prove to be the perfect preparation for the coming campaign.

United play Sporting Kansas City, Orlando City and Columbus Crew later this month, and the Magpies boss said: “I know the facilities are top, top drawer.

“It’s good and accessible for our fans to see us. The training conditions are perfect, the competition will be good, and importantly we can focus completely on our job without any distractions.

“The food, language and climate won’t take any adjusting to and we can just get on with things.”

Again - he can go wherever he wants, just not to that lot. The thought sickens me.

He's obviously off regardless, so why can't a foreign team come in for him? I'd be delighted if that happened.

Lee Ryder: If Jose wants out, he must leave

PLAYING in front of 50,000 supporters every other week, going to work at one of the Premier League’s best training centres, living in one of the best corners of Europe and being paid handsomely for all of it.

If Jose Enrique has suddenly decided that it has all become a bit of a chore, then perhaps Tyneside’s love affair with El Toro has come to a sad, but logical end.

One thing is for certain, you can’t play without passion. And if Enrique is any less committed because he really wants to be somewhere else, he needs to leave – and pronto.

If the so-called brighter lights of the Emirates Stadium – and playing amid the atmosphere of Central Library – or Anfield are where Enrique really wants to be, nobody should stand in his way if the price is right. Enrique has undoubtedly been one of the best players in a black-and-white shirt in the last two seasons, yet unhappy footballers generally don’t get much sympathy from the working-class masses who brave all weathers and dig deep to support their heroes.

Of course, should Enrique genuinely want to be part of the future at St James’ Park, the lucrative contract he has had pushed in front of him needs to be signed, and quickly.

Either way, Newcastle need a quality left-back in the huge season that lies ahead.

And with Enrique’s contract up in the summer, rather than risk carrying an unhappy player, now is the time to cash in and put the proceeds towards a replacement.

True enough, Shane Ferguson has shown much promise and there is talk of Neil Taylor coming from Swansea City as a replacement. Yet experience is a key factor. It is decision time for fans’ man Jose.

Ryder at his balanced, insightful best there :(

His job is so easy

Receive email from Derek

Select All

Copy

Open new mail

Address to editor

Paste

What would you do to keep him? How would you handle the situation?

As for Fergie as a replacement, no way

Guest alex

Enrique knows exactly what the club is all about having spent several years here, so with regards to what can be done to keep him I would suggest that that ship has sailed.

Ryder at his balanced, insightful best there :(

His job is so easy

Receive email from Derek

Select All

Copy

Open new mail

Address to editor

Paste

What would you do to keep him? How would you handle the situation?

As for Fergie as a replacement, no way

Im a wee bit lost as to what that has to do with my post about Lee Ryders total lack of journalistic talent or integrity.

As for keeping him, we cant and nobody could blame him. At risk of "doing a Leazes" all professional footballers should make it their aim in life to play at the top level. If their current club cant match that ambition then you cant blame the player for wanting out.

A journalist wouldnt be sneered at for leaving the "Wansbeck Advertiser" to go to the Times, the same logic applies. Players need to be ambitious, they need to play at the highest level they can manage, in Enriques case thats CL and hes not going to get that here.

So basically, the only thing we could do to persuade him to stay would be lie through our teeth about how we're ambitious and how we'll be buying some top players to play alongside him.

Trouble is he'll have heard it all before and be wise to that.

Enrique knows exactly what the club is all about having spent several years here, so with regards to what can be done to keep him I would suggest that that ship has sailed.

I'd put Collo, Jonas & Barton in the same ship. These are heads that will be easily turned - conveniently so for the club's top brass, because they are larger earners, as they look to further reduce running costs.

Wenger said today that he sees Gibbs as Clichy's replacement (which if true is mental as Gibbs gets injured every time he plays). So in theory that might be Arsenal out of the running for his services at least...

haha Ryder "yet unhappy footballers generally don’t get much sympathy from the working-class masses who brave all weathers and dig deep to support their heroes" .

Give owa y placcy bag . Why didn't he go the full hog and put 'TOON TOON. hey im TOON D@Ft me man.' at the end . Embarrassed .

I'm not sure what Enriques done wrong aside from saying he'd talk to the club when we're safe.

He hasn't said he won't sign a new contract,he hasn't said he wants to leave. He's just weighing up his options. If ManUtd come in for him tomorrow he'd be off. That's the same with any of our squad though.

Regarding Arsenal, I don't think Wenger would spend £6m or so on a player who only has a year to run on his contract. Especially as Gibbs/Vermaelen can play there.

the way I see it:

The new contract they’ve offered him isn’t better in real terms, yet they’re making out that it’s Enrique not wanting to deal with them. The anti-Enrique vibe and “we’ve done everything” is just PR spin.

The new pay structure has to be strict and they don’t want him as an exception and the wage structure is a lot less than the club previously use to pay.

The asking price is £12m hence “no offers have been received”.

NUFC will play a game of poker holding out until the transfer window shuts. The last thing they want is to have him leave for nothing next summer and might have to accept £4m by late August.

Its as clear as it could be that the offer on the table is good, otherwise he would have been off already. If the offer was £40k then any club would have been in for him. The delay IMO is because the clubs circling not only have to meet a high asking price but also pay a very high wage.

In which case the club are trying to keep him. If they want to sell him then they have to do it early otherwise they will have no bargaining strength at the end of the window. I reckon he is off but I do think the club want him to stay.

I reckon he will either sign for Barca next week for 10mil or he will stay and see out his contract but if we are sitting healthy in January and pushing for europe he might sign a new deal then.

Sunday Sun

LIVERPOOL will step up their pursuit of Jose Enrique this week – for fear of losing out on the Spaniard to Arsenal.

The Gunners are set to sell French left-back Gael Clichy to Manchester City, pocketing £7m.

Sources in London claim Arsene Wenger has targeted Enrique – along with Everton’s Leighton Baines – as potential replacements.

And that could prompt Liverpool to firm up their long-standing interest in the Newcastle United defender.

The Reds have been linked with Enrique – out of contract in a year – since before the end of last season, when the 25-year-old revealed he could leave St James’ Park.

United have yet to receive an enquiry or bid for the player. However, that could all change now the summer transfer market is hotting up, with many clubs returning for pre-season training in the coming week.

Newcastle remain in legal limbo over a move for Swansea City’s Neil Taylor – who could be perceived to be a potential replacement for Enrique.

But while that deal remains tied up in red tape, reports claiming Alan Pardew has turned his attention to Manchester City’s Wayne Bridge would appear to be wide of the mark.

The 30-year-old does not fit Mike Ashley’s policy of promising, young talent with a sell-on value. His wages – understood to be in the region of £80,000-a-week – are out of United’s austere price range.

Meanwhile, Pardew believes Newcastle’s forthcoming pre-season tour of the US will prove to be the perfect preparation for the coming campaign.

United play Sporting Kansas City, Orlando City and Columbus Crew later this month, and the Magpies boss said: “I know the facilities are top, top drawer.

“It’s good and accessible for our fans to see us. The training conditions are perfect, the competition will be good, and importantly we can focus completely on our job without any distractions.

“The food, language and climate won’t take any adjusting to and we can just get on with things.”

Nowt new really

:D

Literally nowt new - that article is a week old and was posted on the previous page.

:) Reet, Im not posting when still waking up again

I reckon he will either sign for Barca next week for 10mil or he will stay and see out his contract but if we are sitting healthy in January and pushing for europe he might sign a new deal then.

I reckon you plucked that club and figure out of thin air.

I reckon you plucked that club and figure out of thin air.

The thin air between his ears, where his brain should be.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt