Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Urghh man, wash your mouth out, the UK office was genre defining and I can still watch it cos it just got the zeitgest right. Seinfeld has definitely aged quite badly mind. 

If you think Seinfeld has aged badly, how do you explain the fact you wear the same jeans and shirts as him.

When The Office first came out I used to watch it, then watch the re-run later in the week. Apart from it being that good (imo) some of the bits were that inappropriately cringeworthy (deliberately so) that it was only humorous the second time round. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

If you think Seinfeld has aged badly, how do you explain the fact you wear the same jeans and shirts as him.

Same applies to him 

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's funny but thinking about it, in the UK often after a seminal comedy the actors go on to do great things, like the Office, Royle family, Auf Wiedershen for instance. I can't think of anything decent any of the cast Cheers did except some films by Woody Harrelson maybe. Danson in Curb perhaps, but that's a cameo. Seinfeld the same, some people like Veep with Julia Louis-Dreyfus I suppose (and yes, I'm aware most on here don't rate the original). Alan Alder maybe in Mash.  Oh, and Will Smith after Prince of Belair, very much an exception though. I guess you can just retire after a hit US comedy. Okay, probably just talking shit outloud the more I think about it. :lol: Kelsey Grammer is an unfunny arsehole, we'll leave it at that. 

Woody Harrelson is a top actor, imhotyvm. Good comedic timing, was phenomenal in True Detective, etcetera. Seinfeld is an odd one because he's widely regarded as one of the best technicians in comedy, but away from Bee Movie (less said about that) I can't think of any movie he's been in. He's still a great comedian and has earned a fucking fortune off Seinfeld and his comedy. But the show was just a vehicle for him and his stand up.  You could go back to Mork and Mindy and say Robin Williams went on to great things too. 

I like Seinfeld and Cheers, and Frasier too. I wouldn't say they necessarily stand the test of time, but when they were broadcast, they were superb. 

26 minutes ago, Renton said:

Urghh man, wash your mouth out, the UK office was genre defining and I can still watch it cos it just got the zeitgest right. Seinfeld has definitely aged quite badly mind. 

As I said, probably a generational thing. I was doing my GCSEs when it came out, so the frame of reference is missing for me. By the time I got into office work circa 2009 it just wasn't the same.

I will say David Brent is probably his least insufferable character, minus Derek. At least he was the awful character saying awful shit. All subsequent characters, he's been the one calling it out as abhorrent like the hero, despite the fact he wrote the awful shit they say in the first place.

I will always prefer it's always sunny to any other American sitcom.

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

As I said, probably a generational thing. I was doing my GCSEs when it came out, so the frame of reference is missing for me. By the time I got into office work circa 2009 it just wasn't the same.

I will say David Brent is probably his least insufferable character, minus Derek. At least he was the awful character saying awful shit. All subsequent characters, he's been the one calling it out as abhorrent like the hero, despite the fact he wrote the awful shit they say in the first place.

I will always prefer it's always sunny to any other American sitcom.

We had the always Sunny discussion here before, I missed it first time round. I started watching it at the start of last year, I quite enjoyed it but after a while the characters were just ALL so grotesque without any redeeming qualities I  just mentally switched off. Might get round to finishing it one day I guess, I'm probably more than half way through. Been very few decent comedies recently here or in the US rec. I like Sharon Horgan's stuff, that's about it for me. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

We had the always Sunny discussion here before, I missed it first time round. I started watching it at the start of last year, I quite enjoyed it but after a while the characters were just ALL so grotesque without any redeeming qualities I  just mentally switched off. Might get round to finishing it one day I guess, I'm probably more than half way through. Been very few decent comedies recently here or in the US rec. I like Sharon Horgan's stuff, that's about it for me. 

That's the whole point of the show to be honest, they are pieces of shit who always get what's coming to them. The punch line is always them getting their just desserts. The episode when they go to a water park and Frank and Charlie pretend they have AIDS to skip the queues is truly hilarious - especially the end of the episode.

That said, there is an episode called Mac loses his pride (season 10 I think), which is phenomenal IMO - intentionally serious and quite emotional, and really well done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

The peak is the Fat Mac season

The bloopers for the Fat Mac season are probably some of the best of the entire series. Rob McElhenney trying to keep his shit together wheeze eating pizza and crisps breaks me every time.

It still has some great moments after that season, but it became a bit more formulaic from then on - just became another American sitcom, but with more swearing and horrific behaviour. The episode on the latest season where the whole joke was meta as it was blatantly just them wanting to see how many times FX would let them get away with saying the word cunt in one episode.

Also, the one where they ripped the piss out of that pro chess player cheating by having a vibrator up his arse - by drugging frank and shoving a dildo up his arse :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned they’ve brought back Quantum Leap :lol: 

Oh, boy.

Quantum Sleep, as my mate used to call it 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 5

Will give it a go this weekend that.

Watched the final Sex Education. It was good to see them addressing current issues.  But I think they had too many characters.  Gillian Anderson was still smoking despite made to look hanging like.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Stop Larrimah is a good watch. It's just landed on Netflix. It's a true crime doc, two parts, which tells the story of the town where

@sammynb

@toonotl

@OTF

@LongTimeAdmirer

...all live. All are heavily featured. It's about when one of them killed @RobinRobin

There's only 11 people live in the town and one of them gets murdered. What a fucking bunch of characters. I'm gonna cut them a lot more slack on here from now on.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Last Stop Larrimah is a good watch. It's just landed on Netflix. It's a true crime doc, two parts, which tells the story of the town where

@sammynb

@toonotl

@OTF

@LongTimeAdmirer

...all live. All are heavily featured. It's about when one of them killed @RobinRobin

There's only 11 people live in the town and one of them gets murdered. What a fucking bunch of characters. I'm gonna cut them a lot more slack on here from now on.

As if those East Coasters could kill me. 

Pop Tv No GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Haha 2