Sol Campbell?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or he never had any intention of signing for Newcastle.

Just like the last time.

He would be better off here than Notts Country, surely...

defo, but I doubt Ashley offered anything worthwhile and Newcastle isn't as pretty a club to look at considering the slow but sure exodus of players away from the club, even so Notts County I mean really, we must have offered him nothing :S

If the rumours are to be believed, isn't his missus from Newcastle? That was one of the driving factors for the move?

If that's the case, we cant even attract someone who actively want to live in the area. It's not like we'd have to pay over the odd to lure him away from London.

Just like the last time.

defo, but I doubt Ashley offered anything worthwhile and Newcastle isn't as pretty a club to look at considering the slow but sure exodus of players away from the club, even so Notts County I mean really, we must have offered him nothing :S

Perhaps, but I imagine he could have been offered a pay as you play deal or on the borderline of 20k. He would obviously reject that considering he was would have been used to 70k at Arsenal and not much of a cut back at Portsmouth.

To be honest at the moment what player in there right mind wants to come here at the moment, like you have said he would have been offered pennys and it just shows the chance of a take over looks less likely, atleast county are trying to build there club not take it apart brick by brick.

Just like the last time.

Perhaps, but I imagine he could have been offered a pay as you play deal or on the borderline of 20k. He would obviously reject that considering he was would have been used to 70k at Arsenal and not much of a cut back at Portsmouth.

I don't think he'd be asking for as much in the way of wages if he wants to settle in the area as he ends his career. It's either the regime being tight or NC throwing money at him.

Just like the last time.

Is that the time he did want to sign and Roeder turned down the chance to sign him based on age and injury record you're on about again?

I don't know why you seem to have such a problem with Campbell, Roeder came out and said he'd turned down the chance to get him, one of the reasons being age and he then went and signed somebody the same age or older i seem to recall leading to ridicule on here.

Just like the last time.

I don't think he'd be asking for as much in the way of wages if he wants to settle in the area as he ends his career. It's either the regime being tight or NC throwing money at him.

Most likely both tbh, Sven will be desperate to capture him as he's obviously a big signing for Notts and it would be good press for both him and the area, and obviously the current regime are cutting corners and probably don't see Campbell as a worthy capture. I'd take him, considering Taylor could walk in the next few days.

Edited by ChriszyD

Just like the last time.

Most likely both tbh, Sven will be desperate to capture him as he's obviously a big signing for Notts and it would be good press for both him and the area, and obviously the current regime are cutting corners and probably don't see Campbell as a worthy capture. I'd take him, considering Taylor could walk in the next few days.

Aye, probably. Not sure which is more depressing.

Sol Campbell turned down offers from the Barclays Premier League and abroad, and agreed to join Sven Goran Eriksson as player-coach at League Two club Notts County.

Aston Villa and Ajax both launched late bids for the 34-year-old centre-back, urging Campbell to delay his decision for another 24 hours, but he went ahead with the move to County after passing a medical.

The club’s new owners are believed to have met Campbell’s wage demands for £60,000-a-week so he could be reunited with his former England boss Eriksson.

AEK Athens were the only other club prepared to pay that much, but Campbell

rejected a move to Greece as well as offers from Hull, Newcastle, Basle and several clubs in Turkey.

Although Villa and Ajax were also offering him a good package to continue playing at the highest level, he has dropped down to join the early League Two leaders.

Villa are weighing up several other options in their search for a centre-back but feel that Campbell’s old Portsmouth teammate Sylvain Distin is overpriced at £6m.

Meanwhile, County are also trying to persuade Sheffield United’s transfer-listed striker Billy Sharp to drop to League Two.

I think we were right to pass if that was what he was looking for.

Seems ridiculous to me that a player who should already be financially secure for life has dropped down to League 2 just for the money.

I find it hard to believe they are paying in £60k per week.

That said, I bet Svennis is on a fucking fortune there.

Edited by alex

I find it hard to believe they are paying in £60k per week.

That said, I bet Svennis is on a fucking fortune there.

You mean to suggest he's gone there for other reasons than his love of Notts County? :icon_lol: