Carroll

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle striker Andy Carroll will be denied the chance to make his England debut against France next week due to a groin injury, according to a report on Sunday morning.

The Sunday Mirror details how Carroll, who played 90 minutes in Newcastle's 0-0 draw with Fulham on Saturday, is ready to withdraw from Fabio Capello's squad for the friendly international.

If confirmed, the news will come as a cruel blow to a player who has scored seven goals in the Premier League this season to earn senior international recognition for the first time.

Carroll spoke on Saturday of his pride at earning a call-up and his hopes of winning a first senior cap when France visit Wembley on Wednesday.

"It's a real honour to be selected for England," Carroll said. "It obviously shows I am progressing on the pitch and it is fantastic that Mr Capello has given me this opportunity to be involved with the senior England team.

"If it comes [a first cap], it will be a great feeling for me - but not just me, it will be for my family as well - but we will see what happens. I will be delighted if I do, but it will not stop me doing my job for Newcastle United."

Carroll's fitness worry could result in a recall for Bolton striker Kevin Davies, who was omitted having won his first cap in the 0-0 draw with Montenegro in Euro 2012 qualifying in October.

It also means that the prospect of Jay Bothroyd becoming the first Cardiff City player to be capped by England is even more likely. The 28-year-old was a shock inclusion in Capello's squad after enjoying a prolific run of form in the Championship.

The likes of Michael Gray and David Nugent have won caps while playing in the second tier under previous England managers, and Cardiff boss Dave Jones hopes Capello continues to look outside of the Premier League.

"We're hoping he starts or he gets some part of the game because we do believe that he has earned it," Jones told BBC Radio 5 Live. "There are some good players down in the Championship and it would be a shame if they are overlooked because of the division they are playing in.

"Jay thinks he should be there anyway so that's not a problem. It's a lift for Jay, it's a lift for the whole club - myself and the staff. I don't think he was expecting it. We hoped it would happen because he has been in good form."

England manager Fabio Capello has confirmed that Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Kieran Gibbs will start against France on Wednesday.

Carroll returned to training on Tuesday after missing a session on Monday due to a groin injury, but Capello has revealed that he has no concerns over the controversial Newcastle striker's fitness.

Sunderland midfielder Henderson will also make his first senior-team appearance from the start, while Arsenal's Gibbs is in line to kick-off against France.

Capello told a press conference shown live on Sky Sports News: "Carroll is fit and will play tomorrow. He will start in the first XI, like Henderson and Gibbs."

Wait

But midfielder Jack Wilshere will not make an England start because he is being sent back to Arsenal after sustaining an injury in Tuesday's training session at Wembley.

"Wilshere is going home because he will not be fit for tomorrow," said Capello.

The Italian is not worried about Phil Jagielka after the Everton defender missed training on Tuesday due to a fever, while he is also not overly concerned about an injury suffered by first-choice goalkeeper Joe Hart.

"Jagielka has the flu, but we think he will be okay for tomorrow," said the England boss.

"Hart, the doctor is waiting to decide what happened. But we think it will not be a big problem."

Asked whether he was concerned about allegations surrounding Carroll's personal life, Capello said: "No. I think you have to help him because he made a mistake but he is really young.

"I think everyone makes mistakes during their life and you have to help the young ones.

Focus

"He's a good player and I think he will understand, to stay with the senior (squad) will be really important for him because all the people, the newspapers, journalists will be focused on his life. I think he will improve."

Capello admits Carroll will take on more responsibility as a senior England player.

"Yes, I hope so," said the Italian. "He needs to improve things in his private life now because it's really important.

"I spoke with him about what you have to do on the pitch (on Tuesday morning). This afternoon I will speak to him about his private life.

"I didn't select him in the last game we played because the FA, myself and Stuart Pearce decided it was not okay to select him. I think this was really important for him and for us. Since then I think he learned something about this."

Capello also spoke in praise of another new cap, Henderson, and urged the crowd to support the emerging players even if they find it difficult to adjust to senior international football immediately.

"The three players (Carroll, Henderson and Gibbs), we have to support them if the performances are not okay," he said. "It's really, really important. Also, the senior players like Rio Ferdinand, Gareth Barry and Steven Gerrard have to help these players."

From SSN

fuck sake why did they let him go at all if they were concerned.

Carroll will be fuming, i would be.

They can't stop him going. He has to report for duty and to be assessed if the FA say so. Doesn't apply equally to Man Utd players like.

As long as he's ok to play Im quite looking forward to seeing how he does, especially bearing in mind there should be some quality footballers around feeding him.

Hope he gets a hatful.

Aye I'm looking forward to an England friendly for the first time since the days of Sportsnight.