Carroll

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would also be nice to see Carroll doing more from outside the box. Not that I'm loving how he's playing, but most of his goals seem to come from headers or knockdowns from corners inside the box, would be nice to see him take a shot from distance on occasion.

It would also be nice to see Carroll doing more from outside the box. Not that I'm loving how he's playing, but most of his goals seem to come from headers or knockdowns from corners inside the box, would be nice to see him take a shot from distance on occasion.

He did yesterday, didn't go too well :icon_lol:

He has the tools though, can certainly strike a ball.

He's easily good enough to play for England, if the likes of Davies can get in, Heskey can get his million caps etc then he has to be in there. He's much better than Crouch these days as well.

Problem is the FA seem to shy away from calling up so called troublesome characters, the likes of Barton/Pennant/Bowyer etc in their heydays all seemed to have to play much better than everyone else to get near a call up.

I dont think Pennant has been anywhere near an England squad on ability alone.

Its interesting to see the media wanting him to play though despite being a bad boy. I suppose they will just use it against him when he has bad game.

Barton should be in contention as well but I think he has too much of a past.

I'm liking how Carroll is progressing but i don't think he has the same eye for goal that the likes of shearer has, to be fair very few have and certainly no one in the current england setup

having said all that, carroll for england would give england something that its lacked in a long time, someone who was willing to run for 90 mins and chase everything

Glenn Roeder warns Fabio Capello over Andy Carroll

Former Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has urged England boss Fabio Capello to think twice before awarding Magpies striker Andy Carroll his debut.

Roeder warned that the in-form 21-year-old will not fulfil his potential unless he changed his lifestyle.

Carroll's impressive season has been marred by off-field problems.

"I'd select him but I'm not saying he should play. I'm not certain he's sending out great signals to young players," Roeder told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he is picked the signals for me would be 'I can do what I want it doesn't matter, as long as I play well I've got a chance to play for England'. The standards should be much higher than that.

"He's a great lad around the training ground, coaches love working with him, but by living the way he is he's not fulfilling the potential that he could possibly fulfil by having just a bit of a quieter life."

The 6ft 3in Newcastle forward has impressed the likes of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this season and has a strong chance of being picked by Capello for the friendly against France on Wednesday 17 November, especially with fellow strikers Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent injured.

He made his Premier League mark with a hat-trick against Aston Villa and has so far scored six goals in 11 league outings, including Newcastle's winner against Arsenal on Sunday in front of the watching Capello.

But he was ordered to live with Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan as part of his bail conditions after an alleged assault charge.

He also pleaded guilty to a separate assault charge after an incident at a Newcastle nightclub and was fined £1,000.

Carroll's former England Under-21 team-mate and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott believes the Newcastle striker will get his international chance "sooner rather than later".

"He's shown he can do it in the Premier League and he's a fantastic prospect," Walcott told BBC Sport.

"He's a handful to play against and I'm sure if he gets the opportunity he will take it with both hands."

Newcastle team-mate Joey Barton has urged Capello to judge Carroll on his form, saying: "Sometimes you need the players who don't always toe the line.

If Capello picks the squad as he said he would when he first became manager (i.e players on best form), then there is no doubt, in my mind, that Carroll, Nolan, and Barton should all be selected

"They need to start picking players to win matches. The frustrating thing for me is that England pick the good guys for the World Cup because they won't cause any problems, but every other national team picks the players who are simply the best in their position.

"I'm not telling Fabio Capello how to do his job, but for me it is a no-brainer to have Andy Carroll in his squad because he has everything to be the archetypal English centre-forward."

Thanks Glenn, I'm sure this will help :suicide:

:D

It would be good if Capello would sit him down and tell him that if he gets in any more trouble then he won't be considered for selection.

More likely that Capello will just completely ignore him. This is assuming that he does get a call up.

He's right about his lifestyle like.

Aye but it's hardly a necessary statement is it? I know he'll have been approached by the journo, but it takes less effort for him to maintain some class and say "I think Carroll is a great prospect, I certainly think he deserves a chance given his recent form." He doesn't have to say he's a bad example for kids, does he?

I think he's after a little limelight tbh

He's right about his lifestyle like.

Aye but it's hardly a necessary statement is it? I know he'll have been approached by the journo, but it takes less effort for him to maintain some class and say "I think Carroll is a great prospect, I certainly think he deserves a chance given his recent form." He doesn't have to say he's a bad example for kids, does he?

I think he's after a little limelight tbh

I think you're right, I was just making a slightly different point really. I think this role model thing is bullshit anyway.

I reckon Nolan hasn't straightened him out a bit, times gone by he'd never have got the girls home, he'd have been locked up for scrapping.

baby steps

Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart;

Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Chris Smalling, John Terry;

Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jay Bothroyd, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch.