Newcastle United v. West Ham (St James' Park, Wednesday 5 January 2011 — 1945 kickoff)

dbsweeney

Irrespective of that it's a good thing we've got Stevenage in the Cup this weekendwith all the injuries, to be honest though I'm not that arsed about a cup run this season.

I kinda agree, but for the fact we've been saying that for four seasons running now.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Tiote is ok. He was absolutely immense again last night.

Can't find any news about him.

Nufc.com suggests hamstring strain but that was just a guess by them I think.

I'm not converted by any stretch, but what I do like about Pardew is that he's pretty bullish in interviews. Where Hughton was guarded and toeing a line, Pardew is a lot more positive.

At the end of the day, it means very little if the results aren't there, but if you read his comments from last night on nufc.com, you come away feeling like good things are about to happen.

Hope Tiote is ok. He was absolutely immense again last night.

Can't find any news about him.

Nufc.com suggests hamstring strain but that was just a guess by them I think.

Pardew says hamstring in his post match comments, but no mention of severity.

Got to give Pardew credit for starting with that forward line though, even if he was partly forced into it. I think most would've started with Ranger.

Got to give Pardew credit for starting with that forward line though, even if he was partly forced into it. I think most would've started with Ranger.

The pub were raging at Pardoo for not starting Ranger when it came on SSN before.

A bit of hard work against Liverpool seems to have won the fans over, but he must be gash in training to be almost as low in the pecking order as Xisco.

His miss would back up that view..

I'm not converted by any stretch, but what I do like about Pardew is that he's pretty bullish in interviews. Where Hughton was guarded and toeing a line, Pardew is a lot more positive.

At the end of the day, it means very little if the results aren't there, but if you read his comments from last night on nufc.com, you come away feeling like good things are about to happen.

Talking about Tiote -

“I’d say he isn’t quite ready yet (to move to a “bigger” club), not as much as Andy (Carroll) would be anyway,”

:huff:

Talking about Tiote -

“I’d say he isn’t quite ready yet (to move to a “bigger” club), not as much as Andy (Carroll) would be anyway,”

:huff:

Pipe down 'Pards'.

Edited by ewerk

The pub were raging at Pardoo for not starting Ranger when it came on SSN before.

A bit of hard work against Liverpool seems to have won the fans over, but he must be gash in training to be almost as low in the pecking order as Xisco.

Think he's a canny impact sub as well which might have had an effect on Pardew's thinking, i.e. someone to bring on to change the game if needs be. One thing I've noticed about Ranger though is when he has his back to goal, he's almost too concerned with fighting with the CB and ignoring the ball being played into him. Not sure if that makes sense but it happened a few times when he came on.

Talking about Tiote -

:nufc:

:huff: Didn't see that bit.

Think he's a canny impact sub as well which might have had an effect on Pardew's thinking, i.e. someone to bring on to change the game if needs be. One thing I've noticed about Ranger though is when he has his back to goal, he's almost too concerned with fighting with the CB and ignoring the ball being played into him. Not sure if that makes sense but it happened a few times when he came on.

Think we've been spoiled on that score with Carroll. He wins everything. Noticed Best and Lovenkrands disappointing similarly tbf. Trying to turn the man and just hope the ball would run for them.

Think that's true to an extent, but also think the stick he has had on this thread is ridiculous (not from you personally). Ranger's introduction last night coincided with the whole team falling into disarray, with Nolan and Barton apparently at each others throats. I don't think Ranger was responsible for this though, but as a result he was much more isolated upfront than Best had been. His miss was awful, but then again I have seen worse from the likes of Les Ferdinand, so it might just have been one of those things. As it was, Colo and Harper (neither who have been mentioned n this thread as far as I can tell) were utterly immense in stopping West Ham getting a consolation goal.

Best's performance last night was the most surreal thing I have seen at SJP this season, and that's saying something. It wasn't just his goals, he seemed to be the whole package. That said, it was one game. He'll need to do this a few times to convince me. Because of his age, and if he can improve his attitude, my money is on Ranger ultimately being the superior player to Best. After all, I thought Caroll was dogshit a couple of years ago and looked what happened there - so far Ranger has shown me more talent than Carroll did before our relegation.

Think that's true to an extent, but also think the stick he has had on this thread is ridiculous (not from you personally). Ranger's introduction last night coincided with the whole team falling into disarray, with Nolan and Barton apparently at each others throats. I don't think Ranger was responsible for this though, but as a result he was much more isolated upfront than Best had been. His miss was awful, but then again I have seen worse from the likes of Les Ferdinand, so it might just have been one of those things. As it was, Colo and Harper (neither who have been mentioned n this thread as far as I can tell) were utterly immense in stopping West Ham getting a consolation goal.

Best's performance last night was the most surreal thing I have seen at SJP this season, and that's saying something. It wasn't just his goals, he seemed to be the whole package. That said, it was one game. He'll need to do this a few times to convince me. Because of his age, and if he can improve his attitude, my money is on Ranger ultimately being the superior player to Best. After all, I thought Caroll was dogshit a couple of years ago and looked what happened there - so far Ranger has shown me more talent than Carroll did before our relegation.

I missed that, what happened?

It was nowt really. It was near me and I thought Barton actually showed good attitude because he was (to my mind) having a go at players, including Nolan for switching off, i.e. basically saying it might be 5-0 but that's no excuse to stroll about. Or words to that effect :huff:

No big deal, anyway.

Steven Taylor was excellent last night btw.

Can't really say anyone had a poor game last night like. Lovenkrands' overall play wasn't great but he scored and got an assist so you can't complain too much. Nights like that don't come often and we've had 3 in a season; despite all the arseache surrounding the club, I'm enjoying us this season.

Agreed. I think he actually a very good communicator thus far with the media. I especially liked his insider tid bits about Best asking repeatedly to play.

Surely that's a good thing? Thought it was class when I saw it on the tele, and exactly the attitude that will keep us up this season.

At each others throats? :huff:

exactly