Jimmy Savile

The Mighty Hog

I would agree this will get MUCH deeper, Savile (I would hope) is the outlier but the culture “at the time” will undoubtedly come under scrutiny.

I have a good friend who was/is a pro comedian, he (and his “troupe”) appeared on The Comedians show in the early 70’s and from that their agent was approached by a producer about a TV series for them, obviously they were “interested”. Agent went for it and started negotiating the deal.

Deal was all but done and the agent came to them and said as much BUT there’s a “condition”, the condition (as stated by the agent) was “one of you will have to drop your trousers for the producer”.

They refused and “another offer will come along” but it never did, and they remained club circuit. My mate always says, “I wonder what all those who did get famous in the 70’s had to do”

The old casting couch in operation.

Bearing in mind that “at the time” being gay was illegal and if even that was as brazen in the 70’s as in my mates tale, the heterosexual side of the coin must have been at least just as rampant, I would reckon.

There’s laws to protect folks these days, there weren’t then. Even in my own working life (late 70’s), the culture of what’s sexual harassment these days was just office high jinks in those days, (at work no-one would think nowt of patting a nice lasses/woman’s backside if they were bent over for example, cue squeal/”hey man” and laughter all round, and btw the women gave as good as they got an all). Given that was “the culture” in a “normal” working environment, goodness knows what the culture was in “celebrity/TV/Radio world”.

It sounds trite to say it - and probably as easy to snigger - but that's horrific . Im too young to remember much beyond Benny Hill levels of 'cheekiness' but the concept that people 'in power' could wantonly call upon varying degrees of sexual gratification in return for potential employment is something I struggle with .

It seems obvious that the entertainment industry was/is kinkier than most when it comes to this .

Bringing it into current times , it begs the question what has Jack Whitehall done/had to do to justify his airtime ?

[wolfy disclaimer]I'm not trying to suggest anything here, just stating my opinion[/wolfy disclaimer]

A lot of people are coming forward anonymously/not so anonymously and giving their Jimmy Savile stories...now I'm not doubting molestation took place which it undoubtedly has, but it seems that there are a fair few bogus stories about catching him in on the act.

The anonymous musician this morning who claimed he walked in on Savile having sex with a 12-13 year old, and rather than reporting it he asked where the studio was before going home and telling his parents. Utter bollocks like. Same with Julie Fernandez suddenly realising Savile was 'molesting' her in front of an entire group of people when she was on Jim'll Fix iT.

I'm really struggling to understand just how a man could cause so much pain to so many people and it simply be swept under the carpet. My gut reaction is that the likes of Julie Fernandez are only deciding now that they were abused when it could well be the case they just don't remember correctly and their view has been coloured by the recent speculation and lid blowing. Could this be a reason nothing was done at the time of actual molestation - it was simply too much to comprehend?

Now Gambaccini seems to have brought necrophilia into the ongoing allegations, this whole affair is one total and utter abhorrent mess. I can't understand how with all this seemingly overwhelming evidence the man was given a knighthood - surely if any allegation of rape etc would be looked at before such an honour is bestowed upon an individual?

I hope all the internal investigations lead to convictions because this is a horrific coverup to have taken place. Truly horrific. I truly hope it's been swept under the rug because people have deemed it to be too unlikely, because if conscious decisions have been made to protect Savile then it's just inhuman.

Savile was said to have been highly intimidating and dropped in threats about having IRA contacts do any journalists close to exposing him . Been reading how he organised annual charity walks over there and think that its highlyplausible he had comtacts. Like I say, im convinced this has many many dark corners to turn yet. When you see the Theroux docu he has Louis' home address etc. sitting out in view and when quizzed was cowardly nonchalant .

Savile was said to have been highly intimidating and dropped in threats about having IRA contacts do any journalists close to exposing him . Been reading how he organised annual charity walks over there and think that its highlyplausible he had comtacts. Like I say, im convinced this has many many dark corners to turn yet. When you see the Theroux docu he has Louis' home address etc. sitting out in view and when quizzed was cowardly nonchalant .

Look at Keys and Gray for a recent example of what "stars" could (or thought they could) get away with, even today.

Actor charged with rape of teenage boy in London

A television actor has been charged with the rape of a teenage boy.

The actor, who has not been named, allegedly attacked the 14-year-old at a theatre in the London area.

He is also accused of three other sex attacks and an "assault by beating" at a London school, Scotland Yard said.

The actor will appear in court on 6 November.

Jimmy Savile: Former pop star Gary Glitter arrested by police

Former pop star Gary Glitter has been arrested on suspicion of sex offences by police investigating Jimmy Savile abuse claims.

Glitter has previously been jailed for child sex offences in Vietnam.

He has been taken from his home into custody at a London police station.

Police are investigating allegations that the late TV presenter Savile sexually abused some 300 young people over a 40-year period.

Met Police confirmed that officers from Operation Yewtree had "arrested a man in his 60s in connection with the investigation".

Scotland Yard has said it is following about 400 lines of inquiry as part of the operation - which is looking into claims Savile, who died last year aged 84, abused scores of young girls and some boys.

Police described former BBC DJ Savile as a "predatory sex offender"

How did he get away with this? I mean it's on screen, millions were watching it.

http://www.thesun.co...d-me-on-tv.html

It was the 70's, nipping or grabbing a "legal age" lasses arse was "a bit of fun" in those days as a one off, but it's the fact he went further serially that is the problem. There'd be millions of folks around in the 70's getting arrested if that was sexual assault.

It was the 70's, nipping or grabbing a "legal age" lasses arse was "a bit of fun" in those days as a one off, but it's the fact he went further serially that is the problem. There'd be millions of folks around in the 70's getting arrested if that was sexual assault.

Aye, was talking to my dad about it. The 70s was an age before you could be famous for nowt. These guys were superstars, literally untouchable.

If Robbie Williams walked up to a lass and nipped their arse they would probably get moist. If John Terry did it he'd be in court. Public persona counts for a lot

His nephew has just been interviewed on 5live talking of his devout Catholicism with Nicky Campbell suggesting to him that in relation to his charity work he may have believed "he'd squared his account before meeting his maker"

The main thing that came to point though was how everything he did was basically a front for his 'tsunami of filth'