mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

58 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think Cardiff is a canny city tbh. Sunderland would be moreon a level with Newport. 

I completely agree. Cardiff is a nice place to visit, has a castle in its centre, some of those old victorian shopping arcades, and a large modern shopping centre without dogshit or litter. The EU also sank a ton of money into Tiger Bay iirc. Its certainly not undefunded and shit imo.

Newport on the other hand is one of the worst shitholes Ive been to - depressing and ugly, and the place has a bad reputation for crime and violence. Even the river is tidal, so as you pull into the train station you pass over an expanse of mud flats.  All the funding in the world wouldn’t fix it (not that they get any) and they have a massive chip on their shoulder about Cardiff.

Fucked if I can see the parallels with Newcastle and Sunderland though

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Mind, some of the posts about how good Jack Clarke is going to be aren’t a million miles off that. You’d think he was 17, not 22 years old. Like there’s some guarantee of exponential improvement over the next 3 years instead of being someone who struggle to make as big an impact as Jacob Murphy in the premier league 

Aye the football opinions on RTG are genuinely deluded nonsense, they seem to not grasp there’s many many more players who have looked decent at a young age in the Championship but never make the step up to average PL quality than those who do, and it’s an even rarer group that turn into good PL players.

The Murphy example is spot on, he tore up the championship and moved to us at 23 and very much struggled. He’s worked extremely hard and turned into a useful squad player for us but that’s a far cry from the superstar the mackems think Clarke is. Jacobs identical twin who had similar potential at Norwich and at times had many questioning if we bought the wrong brother is now plying his trade in League One iirc. They constantly fucking overrate their players, as you note he’s 22 and isn’t having a season like Ryan Sessegnon had for Fulham when he was 17/18 which earned him a move to Spurs where he has seen somewhat mixed results - but again they think after a decent season at a lower level Clarke is destined to be a superstar :lol: 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye the football opinions on RTG are genuinely deluded nonsense, they seem to not grasp there’s many many more players who have looked decent at a young age in the Championship but never make the step up to average PL quality than those who do, and it’s an even rarer group that turn into good PL players.

The Murphy example is spot on, he tore up the championship and moved to us at 23 and very much struggled. He’s worked extremely hard and turned into a useful squad player for us but that’s a far cry from the superstar the mackems think Clarke is. Jacobs identical twin who had similar potential at Norwich and at times had many questioning if we bought the wrong brother is now plying his trade in League One iirc. They constantly fucking overrate their players, as you note he’s 22 and isn’t having a season like Ryan Sessegnon had for Fulham when he was 17/18 which earned him a move to Spurs where he has seen somewhat mixed results - but again they think after a decent season at a lower level Clarke is destined to be a superstar :lol: 

They only have to look at one from their own crop of players to see that potential doesn't always equal product. Patrick Roberts was the next big thing and his performances for Fulham persuaded Man City to lump £12m on the gamble he'd come good. He was sharp moved onto Celtic, then Girona, then Norwich, Middlesbrough, Derby, Troyes made 1 (one) appearance and then joined League 1 Sunderland.

Animated GIF

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Rosco said:

We should point out that its about 2100+ish days since they were last in the premiership and no sign of a return anytime soon

I was going to say like, it must be 7 seasons since we played them last :lol: They’re fucking tapped. Could you imagine the reverse? There’s not a mackem alive who wouldn’t swap the 6 in a rowuh for a reversal of fortunes 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Howay said:

Saw a post on there saying he’ll be like Chris Waddle by the time he’s 25. He was one of the best attacking players in Europe at his peak. Do they not think other clubs would notice if Clarke was anything like that good? And I’ve said on here before that I think he looks like a good player from the odd bits I’ve seen of him. But get a fucking grip. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was going to say like, it must be 7 seasons since we played them last :lol: They’re fucking tapped. Could you imagine the reverse? There’s not a mackem alive who wouldn’t swap the 6 in a rowuh for a reversal of fortunes 

No way marra I'd rather be a shit team in a shite stadium in a shitty area and in the 2nd division ........than have the mags good fortune FTM🙄

Edited by Rosco
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's so moronic it's surreal. They regard each passing day of this record as some kind of success, when in fact it is THE EXACT OPPOSITE. It's literally a measure of how shit they are.

They're also always going on about how the "6 in a row" broke us. Seemingly blithely unaware that immediately prior to this we did them "5 in a row" and quite honestly didn't even notice. :lol:

It's also a fact we've still won four more league derbies than them. Of course this would in all likelihood be considerably higher if they had the decency to stay in the top division with us instead of cowering in the lower divisions. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's so moronic it's surreal. They regard each passing day of this record as some kind of success, when in fact it is THE EXACT OPPOSITE. It's literally a measure of how shit they are.

They're also always going on about how the "6 in a row" broke us. Seemingly blithely unaware that immediately prior to this we did them "5 in a row" and quite honestly didn't even notice. :lol:

It's also a fact we've still won four more league derbies than them. Of course this would in all likelihood be considerably higher if they had the decency to stay in the top division with us instead of cowering in the lower divisions. :lol:

Ahhh, but now any derby win won't count as a real derby because of our owners. Just like no Manchester derby counted after 2008. 

Of course, if they were to win in our next meeting it'd be 7inarur, but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ahhh, but now any derby win won't count as a real derby because of our owners. Just like no Manchester derby counted after 2008. 

Of course, if they were to win in our next meeting it'd be 7inarur, but that's neither here nor there.

Well that's another thing, most of them geninely believe if they beat us next time we meet it's 7 in a row,, despite the last match being a draw. They're fucking mental man. 

Shame they're not back in League One as it'd be hilarious if our new U21 squad peppered with actual potential stars put their first team to the FUCKING SWORD.

• Like 1

The level of delusion is astonishing. The SoL has the best loaction in the country by a mile apparently.

image.thumb.png.c7d1f618f373167daafc8ef2f426759c.png

For anyone wondering, the Sheepfolds is currently an area of contiguous scrap yards last seen on Breaking Bad without the nice weather. They're planning a housing estate on this which will be an obvious improvement but maybe not befitting the best location in the UK marra. This new pedestrian footbridge they're building, to connect the Sheepfolds with Yates wine bar in the city centre or whatever, is going to be a concrete brutalist structure coming already equipped with anti-suicide fences.

image.png.589cb64a41135fef049ecf7576cf3509.png

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

This new pedestrian footbridge they're building is going to be a concrete brutalist structure coming already equipped with anti-suicide fences.

:lol:

fa050080c50af5f6d2b251cf0e8f3898.jpg

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Saw a post on there saying he’ll be like Chris Waddle by the time he’s 25. He was one of the best attacking players in Europe at his peak. Do they not think other clubs would notice if Clarke was anything like that good? And I’ve said on here before that I think he looks like a good player from the odd bits I’ve seen of him. But get a fucking grip. 

:lol: What makes it better is he’d already looked a prospect when he was at Leeds, got a big move to Spurs but it didn’t work out and he’s ended up at Sunderland. While clearly top sides do make balls ups and end up getting rid of young players who go on to do well it’s again a smaller population than those who end up as simply decent lower league players. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

The level of delusion is astonishing. The SoL has the best loaction in the country by a mile apparently.

image.thumb.png.c7d1f618f373167daafc8ef2f426759c.png

For anyone wondering, the Sheepfolds is currently an area of contiguous scrap yards last seen on Breaking Bad without the nice weather. They're planning a housing estate on this which will be an obvious improvement but maybe not befitting the best location in the UK marra. This new pedestrian footbridge they're building, to connect the Sheepfolds with Yates wine bar in the city centre or whatever, is going to be a concrete brutalist structure coming already equipped with anti-suicide fences.

image.png.589cb64a41135fef049ecf7576cf3509.png

That photo is crying out for some Stokoeshop

image.png.ec4c6b9d10cfd5d4b4ad9380ba12b21f.png

Wow, now SJP is like the death star. And it's got grey cladding, like, erm, most stadiums? Yeah, as I've said before, I wish instead of having one of the most impressive cantilevered glass roofs in the world it was made of corrugated iron like the mackems' cow shed.

I actually love the uniqueness of SJP like. The scale of it is actually impressive. Like the OP here, I walk past it 3 days a week and it still impresses.  I just hope they can pull off the Gallowgate extesnion and make it a proper horseshoe, and then it's finished for me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

They aint happy about this Euro 2028 ground malarkey.......they still think the SOL is the North East version of Tottenham Hotspur / Emirates stadium,but it shows how thick they are when in an earlier post they think West Ham ground is the next best in London

The third post had me pissing myself laughing

Screenshot (129).png

Edited by Rosco
  • Haha 3

:lol: I didn’t even know or care that SJP had been selected. They’re going on as if SJP hasn’t hosted other sporting events before, and in terms of comparisons only they would take issue with this. One of the stadiums is a historic ground that’s 10k bigger than the other and located in the heart of a vibrant, historic city brimming with famed hotels and nightlife, whereas theirs is a crumbling, cheap flat pack stadium pretty much identical to other ones like Bolton and Boros stadiums, it’s located in what’s basically the middle of fucking nowhere on the fringes of a very dull city that has nowt going for it. There legitimately no fucking choice, it’s so fucking clear and it’s not even me being biased, it’s like asking someone to pick between Rotherham and Liverpool for fuck sake. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: I didn’t even know or care that SJP had been selected. They’re going on as if SJP hasn’t hosted other sporting events before, and in terms of comparisons only they would take issue with this. One of the stadiums is a historic ground that’s 10k bigger than the other and located in the heart of a vibrant, historic city brimming with famed hotels and nightlife, whereas theirs is a crumbling, cheap flat pack stadium pretty much identical to other ones like Bolton and Boros stadiums, it’s located in what’s basically the middle of fucking nowhere on the fringes of a very dull city that has nowt going for it. There legitimately no fucking choice, it’s so fucking clear and it’s not even me being biased, it’s like asking someone to pick between Rotherham and Liverpool for fuck sake. 

case closed.

• Like 2

They don't care about us marra but I'm going 40 pages on the RTG VILLA v NUFC match thread...FTM🤣

Here's a couple of early posts

Their team looks so average, it just goes to show how poor the PL is at the moment 

Absolute shite their team no idea how they're 3rd

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rosco said:

They don't care about us marra but I'm going 40 pages on the RTG VILLA v NUFC match thread...FTM🤣

in my 20+ years posting on various iterations of this website, I can’t think of one occasion when we’ve started a thread dedicated to one of their games 

• Like 3