mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

33 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Am reading through the hidden thread to see their reactions and IMO it was more muted than usual (mostly because anyone who posted in the thread was roundly attacked by 5 or 6 other posters because Sunderland were playing too and no one should even be thinking of our game).

Came across this though:

image.thumb.png.5841e315f591d77ce311abf7fb055fa3.png

I just want to take a moment to call this out for what it is. It's cowardice. Fear. Terror, even. The reality he is putting forward is that we have ceased to be a football club anymore, and are now something different, thus negating our rivalry with them. We are no longer Newcastle United.

He's right that the rivalry has died in terms of the true meaning of the word. We are now untouchable to them in a very real sense - after a certain point this will be cemented for all time IMO, not that we're quite there yet. He knows this, we know this. It is no longer a rivalry not because we are no longer Newcastle United, but because they are so comprehensively outclassed by every aspect of our club, that the word no longer has meaning. There aren't 3 clubs in the North East anymore, there is one + a few smaller outfits like Gateshead, Blythe and Sunderland.

He can try to reframe this however the damn hell he wants, but he is fucking terrified of the day he can't keep reality out anymore. The day we line up against and then absolutely obliterate them. Truthfully we are already doing this, we are obliterating them in relative terms every day of the week - but eventually it'll come through on the football pitch. This is why they don't want promotion. This is why they want to tell themselves that this is no longer a rivalry. This cowardly, weak, pathetic response from them dressed up in "humanitarian concerns" is transparent and obvious. Die on your fucking feet Sunderland fans, you lying, dismal, cringing excuse for a supporter base.

Quoting this for when you've sobered up! :razz:

• Haha 8

That said Rayvin, it's probably not fair to lump in their whole supporter base with a handpicked quote from someone with a clearly poor grasp on reality.*

* - Just kidding and giving you more ammunition to not apologise.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Am reading through the hidden thread to see their reactions and IMO it was more muted than usual (mostly because anyone who posted in the thread was roundly attacked by 5 or 6 other posters because Sunderland were playing too and no one should even be thinking of our game).

Came across this though:

I just want to take a moment to call this out for what it is. It's cowardice. Fear. Terror, even. The reality he is putting forward is that we have ceased to be a football club anymore, and are now something different, thus negating our rivalry with them. We are no longer Newcastle United.

He's right that the rivalry has died in terms of the true meaning of the word. We are now untouchable to them in a very real sense - after a certain point this will be cemented for all time IMO, not that we're quite there yet. He knows this, we know this. It is no longer a rivalry not because we are no longer Newcastle United, but because they are so comprehensively outclassed by every aspect of our club, that the word no longer has meaning. There aren't 3 clubs in the North East anymore, there is one + a few smaller outfits like Gateshead, Blythe and Sunderland.

He can try to reframe this however the damn hell he wants, but he is fucking terrified of the day he can't keep reality out anymore. The day we line up against and then absolutely obliterate them. Truthfully we are already doing this, we are obliterating them in relative terms every day of the week - but eventually it'll come through on the football pitch. This is why they don't want promotion. This is why they want to tell themselves that this is no longer a rivalry. This cowardly, weak, pathetic response from them dressed up in "humanitarian concerns" is transparent and obvious. Die on your fucking feet Sunderland fans, you lying, dismal, cringing excuse for a supporter base.

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not apologising for the truth :nufc: 

I had indeed had a few when I wrote that though, and it disturbs me a bit that you could tell :lol:

Rayvin last night:

Rayvin this morning: "it disturbs me that you could tell I was drunk"

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

My thoughts exactly, it is beyond reprehensible.

He spelt Blyth with an "e"

I fucking knew I spelled that wrong - I even googled it afterwards cos it felt wrong. But then I think google returned the results for the word blythe and my inebriated brain just didn't sweat the details from that point :lol: 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I fucking knew I spelled that wrong - I even googled it afterwards cos it felt wrong. But then I think google returned the results for the word blythe and my inebriated brain just didn't sweat the details from that point :lol: 

You'll be pleading the Alex defence next !!! (it was the autocorrect m'lud)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not apologising for the truth :nufc: 

I had indeed had a few when I wrote that though, and it disturbs me a bit that you could tell :lol:

unapologetically lucid. you should drunk post more often 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Came across this though:

He's right that the rivalry has died in terms of the true meaning of the word. We are now untouchable to them in a very real sense - after a certain point this will be cemented for all time IMO, not that we're quite there yet. He knows this, we know this. It is no longer a rivalry not because we are no longer Newcastle United, but because they are so comprehensively outclassed by every aspect of our club, that the word no longer has meaning. There aren't 3 clubs in the North East anymore, there is one + a few smaller outfits like Gateshead, Blyth and Sunderland.

"Annannuvvafing, Your mam's a hoower!"

Love it when Rayvin hits the drink

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Should’ve just asked Fish, he grew up there. :lol:

• Haha 3

What is sports washing anyway? I've been lurking here for years, but had to sign in to ask this.

I understand the concept, but in practice the idea just doesn't bear out. If Saudi are trying to improve their image on the world stage, buying Newcastle is not helping with that. If anything more people are talking about their human rights abuses as every time Newcastle are brought up a bunch of jealous butthurt Newcastle hating tools start banging on publicly about their transgressions bringing even more attention to the Saudis, possibly even to people that maybe were not aware. To me this doesn't seem at all like a "sportswashing" situation and more like a prestige endeavour and local rivalry with other Middle East and Gulf nations.

Every time I see sunderland fans banging on about this crap it just comes of as a huge amount of cope. Like Rayvin said in his beautiful soliloquy their entire world is crashing down and this is the only way they can cope with the increasingly large chasm between us. Over my 30 or so years of being a Newcastle fan it seems sunderland fans have been unable to present an identity of their own without it in some way being tied to hating Newcastle and its funny and tragic at the same time.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just tired of hearing the term "sportswashing". Of all the criticisms being thrown around like "oil money" and "buying the league" it seems like the most ridiculous and implausible idea.

Edited by SouthAussieMag
  • Like 15