Steven Taylor

JawD

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was his heart really in the right place?

His pointless soundbites in the chronicle and constant pointing at others to counter his own deficiencies was all about promoting brand Captain Geordie IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

"I want to win trophies and get a championship ring. For me to do that in England would be very difficult but I can come here and potentially be part of something special."

"They couldn't have given me the security I wanted but the Portland Timbers bent over backwards [to get me] and gave me that loving feeling."

"It's a new lease of life for me out here, I wake up every morning in the sunshine and it makes me feel even better. I've got a buzz back, my happy feet back."

"Since I was 18 there were chances to leave [Newcastle] throughout my career. I never felt that it was the right time to go. But I always felt as if I was in a comfort zone."

"[At Portland] We've got a chance to win three or four trophies. The place is incredible as a city."

"I see myself out here long-term. I'm getting my visa sorted now and I'll apply for my green card."

Taylor is a few weeks away from making his Timbers debut - and he also has a trip to the White House to look forward to, as part of the squad who won the MLS Cup last season.

"I've got my suit all measured up," he says. "To get the opportunity is amazing. I wake up a very happy man right now."

Happy feet and already visiting the seamstress. Let the soundbites roll in. :D

Shame on him if he always thought he was in a comfort zone with us. Unless he's referring to the club treatment room of course, where I imagine he was very comfortable.

Quite frankly I always liked Saylor and I think if it hadn't been for his numerous injuries he would have been a great asset to our team. The fact he was once on the fringe of playing for England tells you he had something to shout about. I wish him luck in Portland.

A good friend of mine some years back played for Portland, Clyde Best, some of you younger ones probably never heard of the former West Ham striker.

Quite frankly I always liked Saylor and I think if it hadn't been for his numerous injuries he would have been a great asset to our team. The fact he was once on the fringe of playing for England tells you he had something to shout about. I wish him luck in Portland.

A good friend of mine some years back played for Portland, Clyde Best, some of you younger ones probably never heard of the former West Ham striker.

How do you know Clyde Best?...even for you Noelie, that's random....

It was like this Paddock Lad; Clyde Best and a lot of players came over to the States to play in the then NASL(North American Soccer League) and quite a few stayed after the league collapsed.

I got to meet Clyde when he came to play for the California Surf whose home field was at Angel Stadium in Anaheim where I live, and he also played for the indoor Los Angeles Lazers along with Mike Mahoney who I also knew quite well. When his pro career ended Clyde started turning out for the British & Dominion Soccer Club for who I played and we became good friends. He and Mahoney started a janitorial business which Clyde kept going but Mike got a job as a beer delivery truck driver. I got them an interview where I worked to see if they could get the office cleaning job, but they didn't.

The team was in an over 35 league(mind you I was in my 50's) and along with Clyde off and on the team were Peter Wall(Liverpool-Crystal Palace), Paul Cahill(Portsmouth), Gerry Ingram(Blackpool- Preston-Bradford), Jimmy Hinch(Plymouth- Tranmere-York City-Sheffield Weds), John Craven(Blackpool- Crystal Palace) all players who stayed after the Pro-league went kaput. Peter Wall actually became manager of the California Surf and then manager of the LA Lazers.

Clyde eventually went back to Bermuda, Peter Wall, Gerry Ingram, and Mike Mahoney went back to England. I believe Jimmy Hinch is living in France. Paul Cahill is still here and runs an egg supplier business. John Craven died here a few years back.

I have a photograph of the team with Clyde, Gerry, and me, on it but I don't know how to post it. I could send it to an email address if anyone's interested.

That's great Noelie, thanks for sharing. There's a few names you mention I remember from 70s football stickers, Clyde Best is definetly the most famous though, apart from "Mick Mahoney super goalie na na na na" :nufc:

Try scanning the photo if you've got one, or maybe taking a photo of the photo?..

Shola was also on the verge of playing for England...

Good luck? He's robbed a living from us for years.

Well yeah, but we were the ones giving him contracts.

I'm mostly just happy he's gone, maybe the elation from that coloured my comment too rosily.

It was like this Paddock Lad; Clyde Best and a lot of players came over to the States to play in the then NASL(North American Soccer League) and quite a few stayed after the league collapsed.

I got to meet Clyde when he came to play for the California Surf whose home field was at Angel Stadium in Anaheim where I live, and he also played for the indoor Los Angeles Lazers along with Mike Mahoney who I also knew quite well. When his pro career ended Clyde started turning out for the British & Dominion Soccer Club for who I played and we became good friends. He and Mahoney started a janitorial business which Clyde kept going but Mike got a job as a beer delivery truck driver. I got them an interview where I worked to see if they could get the office cleaning job, but they didn't.

The team was in an over 35 league(mind you I was in my 50's) and along with Clyde off and on the team were Peter Wall(Liverpool-Crystal Palace), Paul Cahill(Portsmouth), Gerry Ingram(Blackpool- Preston-Bradford), Jimmy Hinch(Plymouth- Tranmere-York City-Sheffield Weds), John Craven(Blackpool- Crystal Palace) all players who stayed after the Pro-league went kaput. Peter Wall actually became manager of the California Surf and then manager of the LA Lazers.

Clyde eventually went back to Bermuda, Peter Wall, Gerry Ingram, and Mike Mahoney went back to England. I believe Jimmy Hinch is living in France. Paul Cahill is still here and runs an egg supplier business. John Craven died here a few years back.

I have a photograph of the team with Clyde, Gerry, and me, on it but I don't know how to post it. I could send it to an email address if anyone's interested.

Further to the above, here's Noelie and assorted ex football stars. He's the Noel Kelly in the front row. The tanned bastard.

162a4f07e681f7b4adbb90dad93b0e92.jpg

Not sure how big the picture is, difficult to tell on my phone, but hopefully it works out alright.