Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I thought the protagonist was absent in the Dark Knight

What does that even mean? Classic Fishism. :o

I agree with Gemmill re: super hero films and CGI. Which is why Kick Ass was such a refreshing change, highly recommended. Oh, and him off our friends in the North was the Baddy (not Daniel Craig or Christopher Ecclestone, the other one).

Pretty straight forward really, I didn't think that the Hero-character was really evident. The big performances were by the antagonist and the supporting cast (Gary Oldman etc.)

typical Renton :unsure:

Not really, genuinely didn't know what you meant, you have a tendency to use three words when one will suffice as well you know. Probably guilty of it myself like.

Anyway, I thought the last Batman film was massively over-rated in any case, and that includes Ledger or any of the other villains. Then again, I think the genre has been flogged to death.

I agree with Gemmill re: super hero films and CGI. Which is why Kick Ass was such a refreshing change, highly recommended. Oh, and him off our friends in the North was the Baddy (not Daniel Craig or Christopher Ecclestone, the other one).

Pretty straight forward really, I didn't think that the Hero-character was really evident. The big performances were by the antagonist and the supporting cast (Gary Oldman etc.)

Just so we are clear here, Protagonist can be used to describe the hero but a protagonist isn't always a hero.

So yeah Renton's correct - it was a fishism.

Just so we are clear here, Protagonist can be used to describe the hero but a protagonist isn't always a hero.

ok, in this film who was the protagonist?

Batman/Bruce Wayne felt almost a sub-plot, when he was on the screen he was hardly a driving force in the plot. Two-Face/Harvey Dent seemed to be more integral to the plot as was the Joker.

so no, not a Fishism, Sammy ma boy

Batman/Bruce Wayne felt almost a sub-plot, when he was on the screen he was hardly a driving force in the plot. Two-Face/Harvey Dent seemed to be more integral to the plot as was the Joker.

I don't think Harvey Dent or the Joker were the titular "Dark Knight" like.

Protagonist = Principal character. In Greek drama the "first" actor.

Jean Paul Belmondo in À bout de souffle is not a "hero" but he is the protagonist, just like in the Dark Knight the underlying story is whether Batman actually is a hero or not. He's dark, moody and deadly - just because he kills and maims criminals is he any less a killer because they are criminals?

Fish's original statement seemed pretty straight forward like. I can't be arsed to figure out if it's also correct, but it certainly doesn't strike me as ridiculous. Then again it's hard for a lot of people not to like a well played, funny anti-establishment type and Bale always comes across as a bit of a cunt to me (still good actor) so maybe it was a losing battle from the off.

I know the interweb is a pedants dream, but I don't think I was being particularly off mark when I said that the protagonist was absent. I think it was obvious that I meant that while there clearly was supposed to be a protagonist, I didn't feel like that which we got was the protagonist we were expecting from the film. I thought it clear that I meant the role and portrayal of Batman was weak and as such, the protagonist was absent.

I know the interweb is a pedants dream, but I don't think I was being particularly off mark when I said that the protagonist was absent. I think it was obvious that I meant that while there clearly was supposed to be a protagonist, I didn't feel like that which we got was the protagonist we were expecting from the film. I thought it clear that I meant the role and portrayal of Batman was weak and as such, the protagonist was absent.

Nope, that still doesn't make any sense to me. It sounds like you're saying there wasn't a central character from whose viewpoint the film was based on. There was, it was Batman. Whether Bale acted him well or not, or the director focussed enough on him, is another matter. You just wanted to shoehorn a big word into the conversation, admit it. :o

Nope, that still doesn't make any sense to me. It sounds like you're saying there wasn't a central character from whose viewpoint the film was based on. There was, it was Batman. Whether Bale acted him well or not, or the director focussed enough on him, is another matter. You just wanted to shoehorn a big word into the conversation, admit it. :o

Renton has to look up word in dictionary and goes on the offensive. :unsure:

Protagonist isn't a big word

I genuinely meant that the role and portrayal were so weak as to be a sub-plot to the story. Where generally you'd presume the protagonist to be integral to the main story, at no point did I feel Batman/Wayne was anything but a plot device to move another characters story along.

but I'm honestly bored of this now.

I saw Centurion the other night. Good cast, plot and action with some great shots of the highlands (although it's a pity that they didn't have the readies to film it a bit better). And McNulty's in it. :o

Up in the air - higly recommended. It felt a bit manipulative in parts, but it was nice to see a Clooney film with an honest (and very downbeat) ending. 9/10

Up - not sure what to make of this, actually found it pretty depressing at the start which doesn't feel right for a Disney film. Still, it soon became an enjoyable action cartoon of the kind kids enjoy. 7/10.

Up in the air - higly recommended. It felt a bit manipulative in parts, but it was nice to see a Clooney film with an honest (and very downbeat) ending. 9/10

Up - not sure what to make of this, actually found it pretty depressing at the start which doesn't feel right for a Disney film. Still, it soon became an enjoyable action cartoon of the kind kids enjoy. 7/10.

Were you high after :) ?

Disappointed with the last few films I've watched. Had really high hopes for them too.

The Hurt Locker had little story to it. It was really effective in building tension, but played out as a sequence of exciting events rather than a film with anything to say.

In The Loop had the opposite problem of too much story. The series is excellent at getting half an hour of big laughs out of innocuous things in politics, but few of the laughs were anything more than chuckles here because they'd blown the scale up too much to make it cinematic.....having said that, it still shits all over any other recent comedy from a great height. Some fantastic stuff about going from discussing the initiation of war in Washington, to helping a mentalist with their wall in the constituency. The standard's just been set too high in the TV show.

'Old Boy' again. still great.

'Phonebooth'. 6.5/10

Phonebooth's budget must have been next to nothing.

It's got a fair bit of talent in it mind. Farrell, Holmes, Whittaker, Herc off the Wire etc.

'Old Boy' again. still great.

'Phonebooth'. 6.5/10

Phonebooth's budget must have been next to nothing.

It's got a fair bit of talent in it mind. Farrell, Holmes, Whittaker, Herc off the Wire etc.

from IMDB...

Michael Bay considered directing. When he met with the writer and producers, the first thing he asked was "How can we get him out of the phone booth?"

superb :(