Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Disappointed with the last few films I've watched. Had really high hopes for them too.

The Hurt Locker had little story to it. It was really effective in building tension, but played out as a sequence of exciting events rather than a film with anything to say.

In The Loop had the opposite problem of too much story. The series is excellent at getting half an hour of big laughs out of innocuous things in politics, but few of the laughs were anything more than chuckles here because they'd blown the scale up too much to make it cinematic.....having said that, it still shits all over any other recent comedy from a great height. Some fantastic stuff about going from discussing the initiation of war in Washington, to helping a mentalist with their wall in the constituency. The standard's just been set too high in the TV show.

You seen 'The Box' yet?

Disappointed with the last few films I've watched. Had really high hopes for them too.

The Hurt Locker had little story to it. It was really effective in building tension, but played out as a sequence of exciting events rather than a film with anything to say.

In The Loop had the opposite problem of too much story. The series is excellent at getting half an hour of big laughs out of innocuous things in politics, but few of the laughs were anything more than chuckles here because they'd blown the scale up too much to make it cinematic.....having said that, it still shits all over any other recent comedy from a great height. Some fantastic stuff about going from discussing the initiation of war in Washington, to helping a mentalist with their wall in the constituency. The standard's just been set too high in the TV show.

You seen 'The Box' yet?

Nope.

I took heed of yopur rating though.

Going to see the new Herzog one tomorrow night :(

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Roger Ebert had it in his top 10 for 2009 and his best of the decade (it came out in the US ages ago). I wouldn't go that far personally, but it's pretty damn entertaining. Werner Herzog doesn't often get this much money to spend on a film so he largley plays it safe with a formulaic crime drama, but the moments where he breaks away stick out a mile and make for some of the most enjoyable moments I've had in a packed out mainstream cinema screening (I kept getting digged in the ribs for laughing too loud while the place seemed to be stone silent)....the number of people walking out in disgust only made it more enjoyable for me.

The distended moment where he stares out the Iguanas, the dead gangster breakdancing (to the music Herzog used before at the end of Stroszek where the chicken dances for change), when he threatens the life of an octogenarian, the piss take of a

happy ending as it goes from absolute desparation on all fronts to nicely tied up reolution in a single scene......and then goes back again two scenes later

. Worth twice the admission fee, if you like films to laugh in the face of convention.

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Roger Ebert had it in his top 10 for 2009 and his best of the decade (it came out in the US ages ago). I wouldn't go that far personally, but it's pretty damn entertaining. Werner Herzog doesn't often get this much money to spend on a film so he largley plays it safe with a formulaic crime drama, but the moments where he breaks away stick out a mile and make for some of the most enjoyable moments I've had in a packed out mainstream cinema screening (I kept getting digged in the ribs for laughing too loud while the place seemed to be stone silent)....the number of people walking out in disgust only made it more enjoyable for me.

The distended moment where he stares out the Iguanas, the dead gangster breakdancing (to the music Herzog used before at the end of Stroszek where the chicken dances for change), when he threatens the life of an octogenarian, the piss take of a

happy ending as it goes from absolute desparation on all fronts to nicely tied up reolution in a single scene......and then goes back again two scenes later

. Worth twice the admission fee, if you like films to laugh in the face of convention.

Agreed 100%, Cage and Herzog clearly off their tits and having fun with it.

'Old Boy' again. still great.

'Phonebooth'. 6.5/10

Phonebooth's budget must have been next to nothing.

It's got a fair bit of talent in it mind. Farrell, Holmes, Whittaker, Herc off the Wire etc.

from IMDB...

Michael Bay considered directing. When he met with the writer and producers, the first thing he asked was "How can we get him out of the phone booth?"

superb :icon_lol:

B) I listened to the Kermode/Mayo New year's special again the other day with Dr K's top ten rants of 2009, his tirade against Transformers 2 and Bay in particular is a work of art.

Nowhere Boy - biopic of John Lennon's early life, where he seems to have an Oedipus stylee attraction to his Mum - very uncomfortable viewing. Not recommended by me at least - 5/10.

Push - not great but mildly enjoyable - I like lasses with thick eyebrows and the lass in it (Camilla Belle) has some pair on her.

In other perv related news which I can just about get away with as she's now 16, I think Dakota Fanning will be top quirky totty in a couple of years time.

Nowhere Boy - biopic of John Lennon's early life, where he seems to have an Oedipus stylee attraction to his Mum - very uncomfortable viewing. Not recommended by me at least - 5/10.

That Aaron Johnson was the wrong choice for Lennon as well. Unless John Lennon spent most of his early life working out and swaggering.

I agree, cringeworthy at times.