Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

You're misunderstanding if you think I or other people are saying he's a bad player. I'd put him second behind Wilson, but as talented as ASM undoubtedly is he does have clear flaws to his game. Flaws that allowed us to buy him in the first place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

You're misunderstanding if you think I or other people are saying he's a bad player. I'd put him second behind Wilson, but as talented as ASM undoubtedly is he does have clear flaws to his game. Flaws that allowed us to buy him in the first place. 

This. He's our best player after Wilson, and will remain so for a while yet, but the club will have bigger ambitions from now on, we'll be buying much better quality players from hereon in. The top coaches want to build a powerful team where every player is a cog in the wheel. They don't want one man bands so ASM wil have to show he can adapt his game as required by whoever comes in. There's no doubting his ability. 

• Like 1

until January, when we won't possibly replace him, as he is the one player that can consistently cause mayhem and unlock defences, i can't see us having any option. i mean he is basically the best dribbler in the league and his end product is improving. the trouble is the rest of the team are so limited they can't get the best out of him (nt of course including Wilson).  

35 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

This might be controversial but I think we should play our best players from now until the end of the season. I know, it’s a mad old opinion.

totally agree. the new coach will realise he hasn't really got much of an option really. 

Don't think we can be 100% certain on our opinions of what players can and can't do until we see them with a competent manager at the helm. If Lewis gets some coaching he might be a decent Left Back. Almiron might return to the kind of performances we saw under Benitez. Saint Maximin might be utilised in such a way as to allow him freedom without asking any tracking back from him.

Hell,  Joelinton might be a useful player in the right system, for all we know.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Don't think we can be 100% certain on our opinions of what players can and can't do until we see them with a competent manager at the helm. If Lewis gets some coaching he might be a decent Left Back. Almiron might return to the kind of performances we saw under Benitez. Saint Maximin might be utilised in such a way as to allow him freedom without asking any tracking back from him.

Hell,  Joelinton might be a useful player in the right system, for all we know.

Don’t push it

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Don’t push it

his best position was as a second forward able to release other players into the spaces he'd take up. trouble is this was when he was coached by a decent coach. old cabbage head hasn't helped him. not that i'm saying he's much cop or suited to the premier league. 

When you were little, your mother gave you 10 euros every day, whether you spent either on sweets or to help others...

In my family, I have always been taught the value of sharing. Whenever I had a little money, I used them with my friends to buy sweets and share them in class or simply for friends who did not necessarily have those ten euros to go to school every day. So, I didn't end up with anything in the end but it was always in the sharing. We are very religious in the family, we give without waiting in return

What place does religion hold in your life?

It's my whole life to be honest, it's really important. I pray every day, I go to church once or twice a week, it has a very big place. Even in my behavior with people and on the ground. God is merciful so we will say in forgiveness. Obviously, sometimes we know it's difficult, especially when you have complicated events and things, or when people are trying to harm or hurt you. It's complicated to forgive but with values and what happens in religion, I try to have forgiveness a little easier in certain situations. These are values that have been instilled in me from an early age. It remains ingrained in me.

It seems that very early on, you had language and motor skills, is it true?

It's true. Besides, my mother tried to get me to do an IQ test to see where I was in relation to it, and I had a fairly high IQ. I don't know if he's still there (laughs) but I know it's helped me a lot, in a lot of areas and in everything I do that is extra sporty, it helps me understand much faster and adapt more quickly.

We can not always have the necessary perspective, especially when we are young, it is very difficult to be able to question ourselves, to understand certain situations. Thinking about the consequences and a lot of things really helped me when certain things happened in my life. I instinctively had this way of thinking, of making sure that these things didn't happen again.

Is it anticipation?

That's it, that's anticipation. I was in the Paris region. Accidents can happen very quickly, I had to pay attention to my acquaintances and everything around me. Even more so with football. When I arrived in Saint-Etienne, it was quite complicated, because we know, as soon as there is a little money, it often turns the head of a lot of people. There were a lot of things to deal with and I managed to solve these small problems.

Did you consider yourself gifted?

I felt it because I was interested... it's still the case today, I'm interested in a lot of things, a lot of sports. I look at politics, a lot of things. I am interested in all areas, I like to touch everything, I read a lot. I like to look at the journey of people like the one who runs Tesla or amazon's gentleman, Jeff Bezos. It's curiosity. It's the fact of knowing, of asking me how they thought to get to where they are today, to understand their history, how it was with their family etc ... I am very interested in that.

How did you live? Because you could seem out of step with people your age...

I was misunderstood. Without throwing flowers at myself, I often saw a little further. This is not necessarily very good because people often like to live from day to day. And I was already thinking about my life, what I wanted to do, where I was going to be. It may have served me well with some people, but it's always been my way of thinking and that's what made me manage to find that perfect balance.

You start football at 5 years old. At 7 years old, you tell your mother: "one day, I will be a professional footballer", and she tells you to work at school to have a beautiful job. Is that true?

This is the perfect example of what I told you, there are things that I could anticipate. People were looking at me: "He's crazy, what is he saying?" While I knew very well what I was saying. It was a motivation. A man's word is important. When we say something, it is to stick to it, otherwise it is better to abstain. This has always been important for me, even as a young man, I didn't like to say for example: "we're going to make a game, I'm going to beat you 5-0" and in the end take 5-0. I never liked that feeling so I always tried to take the time to think anyway before speaking. And when I was pretty sure of myself, just to talk about it. It came from watching my brother play, seeing people older than me playing and seeing that I had faculties superior to people older than me. It's a bit of all that in fact that, over time, by dint of playing, of continuing to play, really allowed me to have confidence in myself. And to tell me that if I have a higher level than these people - who are two, three, four or five years older than me - that if I continue to work and I manage to get ahead, I will put myself in the best position to become a high-level footballer.

If I make you watch tennis, do you think you can go pro in five years?

To be honest, if I put my all in, I know I'm capable of ... It's more complicated tennis, in the sense that you really have to have exceptional qualities with your hands. However, I have never really been very skilled with my hands. But it's a very good example, because it's been 2/3 months since I started playing tennis, it's also to help me in my game, my supports, the fact of being explosive, to start at any time from the back of the court. It allows me to be really physically ready. That's what I do next door. People who have been playing tennis for several years and see my current level after three months of tennis, they are all a little surprised. They wonder how I did, knowing that I never really played tennis, to have this level in just three months.

From 10 to 14 years old, you play acbb and start to be known in Île de France for your qualities, when you are only 8 years old. Did you already feel some popularity?

In tournaments, when you finish top scorer or player, when you arrive at the next tournament, you know that others have known about it, and if they have not known about it themselves, it is the coach who will talk about it: beware of this player, he was better player of this or that tournament, we must be careful. So we talk, we discuss the best assets. And by dint of talking about the best players, we knew all the best players of each club, so I felt it, I heard it in relation to what the players were going to say.

Would you change things in relation to that, precisely?

It's a bit complicated to manage, even more so when you're young. Because it can allow you to overplay, but also to thwart, to mismanage things. It's not easy to be expected by everyone, but I always try not to focus too much on that and focus on my performance. Even if it won't work all the time obviously. But that's how I felt good and I used it to be a strength.

All your educators were very demanding. What did they ask of you more than others?

As a gifted, you think about a lot of things. I asked myself a lot of questions: why he is like this with me, and not with others, why there he was me, when I did not really see the interest. It's quite complicated to manage at times, but usually I could feel a little. And that's what was happening all the time, I could feel when the coach was really kind to me and he really wanted deep down the best for me.

When you were young, you were a fan of Henry and you inspired Zidane and Ronaldinho for the dribbles, three very different personalities...

For me, the mix of these three players is the best player of all time.

Except that he does not defend, this best player...

When you look at Messi and Ronaldo with all the golden balls they have, it's the players who defend from time to time but you don't ask them to do it the whole game. We know that at this level defending is essential but for artists like this we will close our eyes a little on some defensive folds because we know that they will bring us many other things and that they must keep juice to bring us these things.

Before signing a first pro contract, you take IQ tests on an idea of your mother. She wants you to be focused on studies. Your IQ is rated at 145. How did you experience it?

Very bad. It is very difficult. There is a lot of pressure. Saying "Allan is a gifted person, he has such an ease" and getting to the test are totally different things.

You must be present.

Exactly. Because if we talk about Allan as a gifted and you end up with a very bad test, we will say that it was a bluff. There was a lot of pressure and once I was there, I wanted to do things directly. I didn't go there by dilettant. I was in a state of mind "you're there so show what you know how to do".

How did your mother react when she saw that you were really above the rest?

She didn't really need a test to find out. She was convinced of that. And the test was really his weapon to tell me "look at what I told you, you know what you have to do, put yourself fully in the studies and football must be secondary".

Is that what you did?

No. It was complicated for my mother. For her, I really had possibilities in many areas: creating a new project, ideas, my mother saw a really different path for me. And I was obsessed with my religion, football. That's all I was interested in.

Has your relationship with your mother changed after that?

It deteriorated a little in the sense that for my mother it was not necessarily the right decision. She knew everything that football was going to bring, what it was going to bring back and she wasn't wrong. Because she was very tested by everything that happened, it's criticism, ill-intentioned people, we are very exposed, it's full of things. We are no longer in the 'Allan in anonymity'. I was the Allan who has to pay attention to everything he does, you can't do anything anymore. Death threats, criticism, it goes far too far. My mother already saw much further for me when I was little. I was thinking about a lot of things. My mother used to tell me all the time. Football is a small world of sharks. She preferred that I stay on the school side to avoid a lot of problems. And the thing she didn't want too–that's why I'm saying our relationship has deteriorated a bit–is that I had to leave the house. Going to Clairefontaine at 13, then Saint-Étienne...

You escape him...

That's it, I didn't see my mother anymore so obviously I was like that with her, I was still sleeping with her...

Until what age?

Late... to be honest...

That is?

13/14 years... I was still in my parents' bed

What for?

I liked to tease my parents, I was often hyperactive. Going to their room, bothering them or sleeping with them, it was often a way to reconcile or make me forgive for all my nonsense of the day. We watched movies together, I tried to distract them, to enjoy as much as possible the moments spent with them and even more when I knew I was going to leave the house early enough.

You signed your first pro contract in July 2013, becoming the third youngest player in Sainté's history at 16 years, 5 months and 17 days. What state of mind were you in?

It's a dream come true, it means that everything I said when I was younger—and I keep saying—has happened. I had quite a few people who came. The people who knew me, who had heard me speak, were a little stunned. They said to themselves "he's been talking since that time, but he turned pro, and even faster than you might have thought."

What is your opinion on the management of young professional players?

For me, there is a real problem in understanding, for me there are so many good players that we take less time. I give a simple example: in Germany or England if for example there are 5 cracks, these 5 cracks we will really take care of because we know that we may wait two or three before having others. And even beyond this way of thinking, everyone is treated a bit the same way. What I mean is that in France, there is a lot of favoritism. When you have qualities, you have things you can afford that others can't. I know that at the time, there were a lot of things that were allowed to happen.

Like what, for example?

All. For example, when you arrive late because you're the best, we're not going to tell you much. I didn't really see the evil because I had never been made to understand that it was important that I arrive early.

Some coaches put on blinders, is that what you mean?

Yes clearly, I saw it. You arrived for two minutes, no one is going to come and tell you anything. While a replacement who arrives late, strangely, he is told something. When we play, you take advantage of the system a little too much and that's where you can settle into a slightly negative spiral. But again I was young, we were young at that time. And when I talk about understanding it's understanding, being more attentive, not being in the stupid and mean system, if you know what I mean. When a child does something, makes a mistake or has the words not to be right, you have to try to understand. What happened in his family, what happened today, why was he not in his match? All these things are super important, I found them by simply going to play abroad.

On February 8, 2014, you extended with Sainté until 2019, but did not play again of the season with the club. How did you experience this period?

Many people were not satisfied with my extension, compared to what happened financially. My extension was a problem, people asked why I was earning so much at that age, said that I didn't deserve it, that it wasn't normal. There was also everything that was happening at the agent level. Again I was smart enough to understand what had happened, but it was a good war. I didn't expect it, I didn't think I was going to be extended. When it happened, I just had to deal with it, but it was a very difficult time for me. I found myself in an office with people much older than me, who put a lot of pressure on me, who told me that I was never going to play again, that they were going to send me to the 3rd or 4th division. I was young, it was complicated to hear these things, but again, I had the intelligence of mind to know that all this was not true. The most important thing for me, once I saw that things were going to happen like this, was to find a way out.

You signed five years in Monaco but went on loan for two years to Hanover. At the beginning of April, the coach is fired, another one arrives and you have a car accident. You hit a tram and present false papers. You'll be left out of the team and won't play any more of the season, right?

No.

What happened then?

The accident came much later. When the new coach arrived, we were in a complicated situation. He came to see me. He told me that if I wanted to play again, to be able to express myself, to have playing time, I had to extend my loan for a year. In this way, I was going to be able to register a little in the long term. That way, if we went down, I was going to be able to register a little in the long term. So obviously, I was going to be concerned and I was going to give everything not to go down, because if I extended my loan, I was going to live with them the descent. I was also asked to lower my salary, I said no. And that's when all the little problems came together, because I wasn't playing anymore and football is my whole life. I play football to play, to be in the stands or on a bench and watch others play. Psychologically, it was very complicated, I had a lot of worries.

Still, there is going to be a happy event: the birth of your daughter. What has fatherhood changed about you?

All. My way of thinking. Everything changes.

Your children, how do they live this popularity?

My son doesn't feel it too much at the moment, he's still young. My daughters don't like it too much, to be honest. I hadn't imagined that there would be people who would kneel in front of me or cry, give me their phones. All these things I hadn't thought about, because I wouldn't have thought I would be so well known. I really try to make them understand that you should not listen to everything that is said, that I am not a person like everyone else, that I go to the bathroom like everyone else, I do everything like everyone else, so that they are really aware of the reality of life. There's what all people say – it's the most beautiful, it's the strongest, it's like this, it's like that – but there's a reality too. We are all like everyone else and the disease affects everyone. It's all well and good to have a few 0s on your account but there are things much more important than that for us.

And if one of your children were to play football, how would you react?

(Sigh) I don't really want to, to be honest. With everything I've been through and the impact football has had on me, I don't really want them to play football to be honest. Afterwards, if that's really what he wants to do, I'll follow him. Because the most important thing for me is that he is happy. But if I had to choose I wouldn't be in favor of him playing football.

On August 8, 2017, you become the most expensive recruit in the history of Nice. At the time you admit that if football had not worked, you would have wanted to do like your mother (kindergarten principal). What for?

These are projects that I still have at the moment and I will obviously use football to achieve these goals.

What is this project?

It's very simple, it's giving the chance to some children who are gifted or not, to be better supervised to give them as many chances as possible to succeed in their lives.

You walk a lot to the emotional, to the stimulation, what stimulates you?

I've always loved people who told me no, I love it. Because it allowed me to turn that no into a yes. You say I can't succeed? Ok, we'll see. And push my limits. That's why I always think about it: the only limit is the one I impose on myself, and the only failure would be to give up.

You arrive in Nice. There, you meet Patrick Vieira. What were your reports?

To be honest, I've seen it again lately, so it makes me laugh. First thing he said to me was: "It's okay, are you happy to see your favorite coach?" He's a person I like, I knew he also had a lot of pressure. And sometimes it's kind of the same thing, it's to feel that the person is a little too you, when there was no real point in being one.

Do you think you are a tough player?

No, not at all. Until proven otherwise, very few coaches can come and say that I exploded a bomb in a locker room. From that moment on... and I see it even more, you would have to question Steve Bruce to know if I was complicated to manage, so no. Difficult to understand about some things perhaps, but complicated to manage, not at all.

How would you describe your character?

Maybe very stubborn. I don't like, I hate hypocrisy, it's something that has caused me a lot of problems, especially in this environment. For example, a coach who comes to me and says, "Allan, that's great what you did in training, keep doing this or that race, it's going to pay off." If I hear him or see him say something totally different to another person, it's something that will really bother me. I give this example because that's what happens a lot in the world of football. I believe that when you are able to do that with a person you can do it with anyone.

Why do you play football in the pros: for fun, for emotion or performance?

(He thinks) At the very beginning, it was for fun, I didn't care too much about the rest. The only thing I wanted was to have fun, have fun and in fact that pleasure turns more and more with performance. When I arrive in Newcastle with all the French who failed at Newcastle - a few have succeeded, but many have also failed at Newcastle - I am told that I have made the worst choice of my career, that I will not succeed, not play... However, I was superbly welcomed in Newcastle, the fans gave me a lot of love. And when I see my team in delicate situations where of course we risk the descent every season, you can only think about pleasure, you are forced to think by performance. And that goes through statistics.

And it was in Newcastle that you became aware of this?

I am becoming aware of it in Nice, but it is in Newcastle that I will start to apply it. I really give everything, it's complicated, but people who really know football know very well that what I do in Newcastle is... I don't do things easy. I have not yet had the chance in any case to evolve in a team with 10 top players, players who are all in international selection. Of course, the day I have this chance I know very well that in terms of stats and in terms of performance, everything will change.

It's amazing in the sense that this choice is also yours, right? When you sign, you know the players who will make up the team...

That is a very good question. It's my choice because I've always thought about playing time. My goal was not to end up directly at Arsenal, Bayern in the big clubs, and not to play. That was not my goal. I always tried to do with what I had. No big club came to me and said: "Hey, you're going to be the star, I'm going to make you play every weekend". In this case, Newcastle gave me this chance with very good quality players but I knew I was not going to play with Messi, Mbappé or Ronaldo. Full of Newcastle players, I know very well that if we put them in a quality team, they are players who will have a different performance. But it's a choice on my part, and it's a reality I don't regret. It's a strategic choice in the sense that the qualities, I know I have them. No one will be able to take it away from me. I know I have a lot to learn, a lot of areas where I can progress, starting with the more defensive area. In Newcastle, I am asked to defend a lot, to repeat the efforts. I start from very far away because I have a lot of defensive retreats to do, it allows me to expand my game.

How do you consider dribbling?

I look at players like Zidane. You understand that, even with simplicity, a beautiful pass can also be a dribble. There are several ways to eliminate an opponent: a one-two, a run, good ball control. For me, the first touch is super important. On your control, you can eliminate an opponent.

Do you consider yourself a dribbler?

Less than before to be honest. But yes, because everything I do is in order to help my team or my partners. When I go dribbling or fixing, it's to free up spaces, because I know very well that now I am known, so I often have catches with two, three or four. If there are four players on me, I still have the intelligence of mind to tell myself that I necessarily have free teammates, and my partners have understood this.

Everything I do is to help my team, whether it's a run, a dribble, whatever, it's for the same purpose.

Would you be able to do what Cristiano Ronaldo did when he arrived in Manchester?

Right now, I don't know...

What for?

It's very simple, I know that if I start to be the Allan who plays simple and doesn't dribble, with our way of playing against attack, I'm not going to bring what it takes to my team. So right now, I'm going to say no. But if I'm in a team with a Kylian Mbappé, Dembélé, Pogba or Modric around me, I'm not going to waste my time dribbling in my surface. I will think about efficiency. My game is going to be even simpler.

What did England bring you? It's more like your overall vision: no judgment but a lot of enthusiasm...

That's exactly it. In France, we are much more in the judgment. You're going to arrive with a big car or have a big car in front of your house, people are going to be there: "ah but it's not normal, how did he do to get that, he made a credit." While in England, we will be happy for you, we will look, we will come to take pictures, they will even be in the request: "How did you get there, give me advice etc ..." So yes the English state of mind - not on everything huh, because I like France of course - but on this side, I found myself a lot with the way of thinking of the English.

How do you view your start to the season?

That is not enough. It is not enough because I say it again, I know very well that with my qualities, I must do more. I know that if I can be more decisive, with everything that is happening at Newcastle, I know that when things are different, that I will be even more so. Again, it's a mentality, a state of mind and I have to keep that mindset there.

>> The Premier League is to be followed on RMC Sport

The acquisition of the club, how did you experience and learn?

I knew it was going to happen. When was the question? I knew it would be in 3 to 5 years when I arrived, and I don't think anyone could know, at least not the players. But before I signed - that's why I was very interested in coming to Newcastle - I was told that a lot of investors were interested and wanted to buy the club. When the takeover was formalized, there was a lot of talk about it. Obviously, it changes everything, we are the richest club in the world. Investors have a lot of plans for Newcastle, they want to do a lot of things, we are already seeing the changes.

What are they?

In the speech, the mentality, the kitchen, the training center, the pitches, everything. It means that they really have a state of mind where they want to invest, they will invest. That's what the fans deserve.

How do you see the future in Newcastle? Are you afraid for your place?

Until proven otherwise, I know that I am part of the project and that investors are in a state of mind to do things right, and not only with me. At this level, I don't worry about that. I'm up for it, I love it. This can only be a good thing for me.

How can the buyout make you change dimension?

I have never been seen before in a team that plays at the top of the table, that plays to win all the cups, that plays to finish at the top of the championship, that plays to win the C1. When I talk about this, I don't just mean for me, we see it with the young people who go out and who will play for Barça, we know that they are in better conditions than if they started in a slightly less strong team, in D2 or other. The more players you have who are strong around you, the better you look to everyone.

What could it change for you?

If I dribble to make the pass to a Kylian Mbappé or an Ousmane Dembélé, I know very well that there is a very good chance that it will end up with a goal. And if you finish with a goal every weekend, it's more the same return. I know that people will talk more about me in the same way, when in the end not much will have changed. These players will have finished the actions, quite simply.

Do you look at the lists of the French team? How do you live them from England?

It's not easy because I have a lot of friends there. It's the top level so I know very well that being in this team will allow me to show a lot of things. I think I can bring a lot of things even if they are already well stocked, with a lot of talent.

Do you think you have the level for the French team?

That is a certainty. I think I have the level. There are good players but as we can see, many of them have had the chance to be called. And I think I have the level to be called up to the French team.

What are you missing?

If I am not called, it is necessarily because I am missing something. I think I still have to work, because there is quality, whether we are talking about Mbappé, Dembélé, Griezmann, Benzema, a top-level team. There is still a long way to go, but I know I am approaching it. I will try to make the choice of the coach more and more complicated, that's the only thing I can do.

What could you bring to this team?

In very closed games, with my quality of dribbling, speed, vision of the game, I know that I could free up a lot of space for players like Kylian, Benzema and so on.

Do you still nurture this ultimate dream, to play with Mbappé, Benzema..?

Always. That will not change.

And once it is reached?

We're going to look for another one.

What, for example?

Win a big title together or play in the same team. It's up to me to make my little man of the way and to be able to show what I can do.

When can we expect to see you in the French team?

Honestly, this is a question that should be asked of the coach. Me in any case, I will put all the chances on my side to be called up and I will continue to work, because there is the World Cup. I know very well that with what will happen at Newcastle in the coming months and years, I will be more and more in a good position to join the French team. But it goes through work and if I'm not caught yet, it's because I have to work more. So I'm going to keep working.

Rémi DUMONT, Mathieu FAURIE and Mathieu BONNEAU

Edited by Kid Dynamite

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the drivel on here (from the same people too)... Since he's been here, he's been at worst, the 25th best player in the league based on the WhoScored ratings provided and he did that at arguably the worst performing team in the league.

19/20:

19:20.png

20/21:

20:21.png

21/22:

21:22.png

Edited by Clarko

2 hours ago, Clarko said:

Some of the drivel on here (from the same people too)... Since he's been here, he's been at worst, the 25th best player in the league based on the WhoScored ratings provided and he did that at arguably the worst performing team in the league.

19:20.png

20:21.png

21:22.png

dog-fo.gif

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

So at his best, every club had at least 2 players better than him on average.

No... At his best (19/20 season) he was rated the 15th best player that season...

1. De Bruyne
  2. Pereira 
  3. Traore
  4. Mahrez
  5. Mane
  6. Salah
  7. Sterling
  8. Rashford
  9. Maddison
  10. Kane
  11. van Dijk
  12. Martial
  13. Willian
  14. Antonio
  15. Saint-Maximin

The bar has been set pretty low, but I have no idea how you managed to misinterpret a set of lists that poorly.

Edited by Clarko
  • Haha 4