Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

39 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Anyone looked into vaccination for kids?

My 11 year old has been offered one. He has already had covid at Christmas, (runny nose).

As it seems to dwindle off after a few months and the weathers better and he’s already had Covid, is there much point?

My eldest grandson (16) who lives with us is due to get his 2nd jab next week. 

Lots of people now catching it twice in 3 months. Quarterly vaccinations for whole populations aren't feasible so the future is probably going to be masks in crowded places, regular testing and mandatory isolation when COVID positive.

In everywhere but the UK that is...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Anyone looked into vaccination for kids?

My 11 year old has been offered one. He has already had covid at Christmas, (runny nose).

As it seems to dwindle off after a few months and the weathers better and he’s already had Covid, is there much point?

Newcastle almost guaranteed safe- pisses the bed like a battalion of pensioners on a stag do. 

Son offered free vaccine against global virus- drier than a nun’s nasty. 
:CT:

• Haha 5

My old man tested positive this morning, so chances are my mam will get it too.  Decent chance I might have picked it up from them, but my LFR is negative so far.  Was hoping we'd all dodge it 😠

We had a work do last Thursday. 12 out of the 15 caught it due to some super spreading bastard. Some who had had Covid as recently as January. That said, pretty much everyone had no symptoms or mild symptoms.

I was one of the 3 that didn’t get it but I’m either putting that down to the amount of sauce I had or the fact that I tested positive for 14 days in December. 

It is tearing through London and tubes, pubs, restaurants are all packed this time round. Not really sure what the solution is.

Wife still has it, and because we've only got a few LFTs left I'm only gonna test if I start to feel shit, which hasn't happened yet. She had 48 hours of feeling crap but has just been snotty since then. 

They're close to having to close down the year group at her school cos so many of the teachers have it. 

8 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

We had a work do last Thursday. 12 out of the 15 caught it due to some super spreading bastard. Some who had had Covid as recently as January. That said, pretty much everyone had no symptoms or mild symptoms.

I was one of the 3 that didn’t get it but I’m either putting that down to the amount of sauce I had or the fact that I tested positive for 14 days in December. 

It is tearing through London and tubes, pubs, restaurants are all packed this time round. Not really sure what the solution is.

The impact on hospitals by the sounds of it is very low.  Surly if people are getting flu symptoms and people are sensible then we are doing the right thing?  I dunno.

I have been the only one here catching it so far. Wife and both kids still getting negative test results.

I could probably test myself out of isolation tomorrow but do still have minor symptoms. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Lots of people now catching it twice in 3 months. Quarterly vaccinations for whole populations aren't feasible so the future is probably going to be masks in crowded places, regular testing and mandatory isolation when COVID positive.

In everywhere but the UK that is...

Is that feasible long-term though? I mean possibly forever? Two bastard years of this now. Nearly everyone I know has had it now, vast majority symptoms of a mild cold, some more akin to influenza. Don't know anyone who has become seriously ill requiring treatment, and this includes CEV people in their 70s and 80s. Questions I'd like to know, not being a virologist, is there anything fundamentally different to covid-19 to other endemic coronaviruses that poses a long-term threat to us? Or will this just join the group of viruses, including other coronaviruses, associated with the common cold? The main difference I can tell at the minute is it seems to be much more contagious than other cold viruses and for some reason you can get repeatably re-infected within a short space of time. Why is this and why has it happened? 

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

The impact on hospitals by the sounds of it is very low.  Surly if people are getting flu symptoms and people are sensible then we are doing the right thing?  I dunno.

There’s lots of hidden knock on effects like patients having to isolate which puts a (seemingly unreported) strain on beds as you need private rooms to do that. It’s still a 10 day period in the Newcastle trust. I tend to agree with what you’re saying though. I just wish stuff like mask wearing was mandated. We’ve been very blasé in this country and paid a pretty terrible cost. But it’s almost like that hasn’t happened for a lot of people. What a country 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

I’ve genuinely stopped paying attention to this now. The December Omicron surge was the last time I was cautious. Feels quite insignificant now compared to the looming Third World War. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trooper said:

I think a big mistake was made not offering children the vaccine before lifting all the restrictions 

I think a lot of the good, early gains made in respect of the roll out were undone by the whole ‘freedom day’ clamour. That and we’re a nation of selfish bastards 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Is that feasible long-term though? I mean possibly forever? Two bastard years of this now. Nearly everyone I know has had it now, vast majority symptoms of a mild cold, some more akin to influenza. Don't know anyone who has become seriously ill requiring treatment, and this includes CEV people in their 70s and 80s. Questions I'd like to know, not being a virologist, is there anything fundamentally different to covid-19 to other endemic coronaviruses that poses a long-term threat to us? Or will this just join the group of viruses, including other coronaviruses, associated with the common cold? The main difference I can tell at the minute is it seems to be much more contagious than other cold viruses and for some reason you can get repeatably re-infected within a short space of time. Why is this and why has it happened? 

10-15% of covid patients having long-COVID is the main difference. If this was a self limiting virus for 5 days then we could just start treating it like the common cold. But some people are genuinely still fucked 2 years after catching it

Is there anything to suggest that the proportion of long COVID sufferers (from new infections, I mean) might decline as the new strains of the virus get progressively less serious, or is that just something that's going to come with the territory for as long as we're dealing with it?

31 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

10-15% of covid patients having long-COVID is the main difference. If this was a self limiting virus for 5 days then we could just start treating it like the common cold. But some people are genuinely still fucked 2 years after catching it

Still a lot of questions. Does omicron, seemingly being milder, cause less long covid or less severe long covid? Are people who have repeated infections likely to get long covid? The data around long covid seems quite scant so far, but anecdotally I get the impression it is related to severe first time infections. I'm happy to still wear a mask etc, but given the infectivity of the omicron new variants, it is feeling pretty pointless. Anybody who isn't immune (for whatever reason) is going to get this, possibly multiple times. 

Edited by Renton

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

Is there anything to suggest that the proportion of long COVID sufferers (from new infections, I mean) might decline as the new strains of the virus get progressively less serious, or is that just something that's going to come with the territory for as long as we're dealing with it?

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't find any reliable data on it. 

33 minutes ago, Renton said:

Still a lot of questions. Does omicron, seemingly being milder, cause less long covid or less severe long covid? Are people who have repeated infections likely to get long covid? The data around long covid seems quite scant so far, but anecdotally I get the impression it is related to severe first time infections. I'm happy to still wear a mask etc, but given the infectivity of the omicron new variants, it is feeling pretty pointless. Anybody who isn't immune (for whatever reason) is going to get this, possibly multiple times. 

Definitely no link to the severity of the acute covid infection. Some of the worst long covid cases we've seen in clinic had fairly mild initial infections. Likewise, some of the people who were in intensive care with it have fully recovered

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

The problem is, new strains can become more dangerous as much as they can become less serious.

That’s the risk we’re taking by just letting it run rampant with zero semblance of any mitigations in place.

6 hours ago, Toonpack said:

The problem is, new strains can become more dangerous as much as they can become less serious.

That’s the risk we’re taking by just letting it run rampant with zero semblance of any mitigations in place.

Ask and you shall receive:

Deltacron

Also, kids from 5 upwards are entitled to the vaccine in Oz.

13 hours ago, Toonpack said:

See, is that first sentence true? As I've said, I'm no virologist, I'm thinking here from first principles, but my understanding is omicron took over because it was more contagious and out-competed delta. This was because it was more effective at infecting the upper respiratory tract, but the flip side of this was less effective at infecting the lower respiratory tract, which causes more serious consequences like pneumonia. The virus can't do both (due to its molecular anatomy), its a matter of trade offs, which suggests to me the evolutionary pressure should be in favour of the virus being more effective at infecting the upper respiratory tract whilst sparing other organ systems. I think in general respiratory viruses which are unstable tend to mutate in a more benign direction, which is why there dozens of strains that cause common cold which whilst being unpleasant, are fairly harmless. Thoughts?