Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

See, is that first sentence true? As I've said, I'm no virologist, I'm thinking here from first principles, but my understanding is omicron took over because it was more contagious and out-competed delta. This was because it was more effective at infecting the upper respiratory tract, but the flip side of this was less effective at infecting the lower respiratory tract, which causes more serious consequences like pneumonia. The virus can't do both (due to its molecular anatomy), its a matter of trade offs, which suggests to me the evolutionary pressure should be in favour of the virus being more effective at infecting the upper respiratory tract whilst sparing other organ systems. I think in general respiratory viruses which are unstable tend to mutate in a more benign direction, which is why there dozens of strains that cause common cold which whilst being unpleasant, are fairly harmless. Thoughts? 

Aye, plenty of articles about

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/11/will-covid-19-become-less-dangerous-as-it-evolves

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

See, is that first sentence true? As I've said, I'm no virologist, I'm thinking here from first principles, but my understanding is omicron took over because it was more contagious and out-competed delta. This was because it was more effective at infecting the upper respiratory tract, but the flip side of this was less effective at infecting the lower respiratory tract, which causes more serious consequences like pneumonia. The virus can't do both (due to its molecular anatomy), its a matter of trade offs, which suggests to me the evolutionary pressure should be in favour of the virus being more effective at infecting the upper respiratory tract whilst sparing other organ systems. I think in general respiratory viruses which are unstable tend to mutate in a more benign direction, which is why there dozens of strains that cause common cold which whilst being unpleasant, are fairly harmless. Thoughts? 

Sadly even the latest pandemic proves that not true. Alpha was worse than OG Coviid, and Delta was worse than that.

Just need to keep our fingers crossed that we don't get a worse variant because there won't be any more mitigation and it will be carnage

25 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Honestly though, that article doesn't really address the points I made about upper vs lower respiratory infection. I'm definitely saying its impossible we could get a more dealy variant, but I can't understand how a more deadly one (that targets the lower respiratory tract) could be more infectious? Also I'm yet to see data which shows alpha and delta were more severe than the original wild type. The presence of mass vaccinations and natural immunity confuses matters somewhat of course. 

In the office today and about half the place seems to be coughing. There’s an expectation atm to come in 40% of the time (although loads of people clearly aren’t). But there’s also an understanding that you don’t need to come in if you’re at all symptomatic. So why the fuck would you? Idiots, man 

Numbers here are still very high but most restrictions will come to an end on Aptil 2nd. Weird.

I am not sure how the antivaccers and other idiots will survive because they told us that the deep state wanted to keep restrictions forever to take control over us.

17 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I am not sure how the antivaccers and other idiots will survive because they told us that the deep state wanted to keep restrictions forever to take control over us.

This is a salient point indeed. If restrictions are being lifted, what was the point from an 'authoritarian, control oriented' POV? There clearly was none, which blows their entire fucking standpoint out of the water. Also I'm now seeing some of the anti-vax people I know coming down with COVID, and it's fully wiping them out. The attempts to put a brave face on it are painful.

You were wrong, lads. That's it. You believed a conspiracy theory propagated by people who hate you, and they did you up good and proper. That's all there is to it. The scientific community, and experts, the people who spend their lives dedicated to protecting you from your idiocy and conspiracy theories, were right. See also Brexit, Trump, voting for the Tories, mental health and late stage capitalism.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This is a salient point indeed. If restrictions are being lifted, what was the point from an 'authoritarian, control oriented' POV? There clearly was none, which blows their entire fucking standpoint out of the water. Also I'm now seeing some of the anti-vax people I know coming down with COVID, and it's fully wiping them out. The attempts to put a brave face on it are painful.

You were wrong, lads. That's it. You believed a conspiracy theory propagated by people who hate you, and they did you up good and proper. That's all there is to it. The scientific community, and experts, the people who spend their lives dedicated to protecting you from your idiocy and conspiracy theories, were right. See also Brexit, Trump, voting for the Tories, mental health and late stage capitalism.

Facts don't mean anything to these idiots. They will just pivot to the next bullshit talking point

• Like 2

Starting to spread like wildfire again at our place. One lass is off and it sounds like it's kicking her all over atm. Seems like it's on her chest and she can barely breathe with it but, in reassuring news, none of the managers know the protocol so if it comes my way, I'm staying off and demanding full pay and claiming managerial ignorance/incompetence if I'm docked.

Looks like most restrictions are starting to be relaxed here over the next few weeks, vaccine passes and QR code scanning no longer mandatory, masks still required for now at least but might not be for long.

Starting to get to the point where I know a few people here who have it, which I haven't up to now. 

Protestors and anti-vaxxers of course claiming the end of restrictions is because of them which is annoying but at least they'll fuck off and stop clogging up the city centre with protests and go back to...complaining about something else probably. 

Dad rang me yesterday he's 85 he tested positive a couple of days ago he's got a cough & chest infection. He's on antibiotics & steroids for the chest infection I'm ringing him this morning for an update. He's been looking after his partner she's had it for a week & he's obviously picked it up from her. They live in in Warrington, luckily we have family members there to drop any food & meds they need. They're both triple jabbed so hopefully that'll help them fight the bastard off.

• Like 6

Fucks sake- Mrs Fist has tested positive, having no doubt picked it up from some mackem skank at work. 

I’m supposed to be meeting with a parole officer tomorrow re. my brother’s killer, and I’ll be perturbed if it gets cancelled. 

Perturbed, I tell you! 

Don't tell 'em. Infect the PO, hopefully they'll infect the murderer.

Might mean you've got to snog the PO, but don't tell me you haven't thought about it.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Don't tell 'em. Infect the PO, hopefully they'll infect the murderer.

Might mean you've got to snog the PO, but don't tell me you haven't thought about it.

Plot twist: She's a woman.

From Thailand.

• Haha 1

Day just keeps getting better Miss T had to ring in sick this morning (sore throat feeling sick) just done 3 tests all came back positive. She's obviously picked it up from school were she teaches. She said a few of her kids were coughing yesterday they've obviously passed it on to her.