The dignified cabbage’s 1000th game

Dr Gloom

The only reason not to sack him is to save money on the pay-off. It’s the usual stand-off between the owner and the fans in the hope that results will improve. Which they’re not going to.

• Like 1

Lilywhites goalkeeper Freddie Woodman made a string of second-half saves, the best of which was to deny Karlan Grant, to leave Bruce's Baggies winless in eight games in all competitions.

Bruce, who has overseen just eight wins out of 31 matches since he replaced Valerien Ismael at The Hawthorns in February, has spoken about needing to keep "bashing away" to improve results.

The ex-Newcastle United, Aston Villa and Birmingham City boss made six changes from the side beaten by Swansea on Saturday as they visited a Preston team that was winless in six games at home so far, and who had managed to score just three goals in 11 league games this season.

On a shit run? Just face a Steve Bruce side and you’re guaranteed points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

On a shit run? Just face a Steve Bruce side and you’re guaranteed points.

"On a Bruce" should be vernacular for being on a shit run.

Steve Bruce: Maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

Steve Bruce, West Bromwich Albion M:

"It’s not in my nature to surrender and go meekly. I know I’m not everybody’s cup of tea, especially the supporters, but given time I still think I can take this club where it wants to be." (October 2022).

Steve Bruce, Newcastle United M:

"I know I’m not going to be everybody’s cup of tea – I can understand that – but I will be doing the best I possibly can for the club. (September 2021).

"I'm not going to be everybody's cup of tea, but I will, with my experience, hope that I can keep the club just ticking along." (September 2021).

"I’m never going to be everybody’s cup of tea and I accept that, unfortunately. But that’s the way it is.” (May 2021).

"I'm not everybody's cup of tea. Judge me over time." (July 2019).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

How can you get to that age having spent so long in football and be so thin skinned?

I played semi pro at 17 and got called worse than shit (probably true) most weeks. 

Did it bother me? Did it fuck I was £45 a week mate

• Haha 2