Howe's Brazil Black and White Army v Fat Franks Right Wing Red Wall Bluedippers

wykikitoon

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Difference here is he's had two shortlived managerial jobs. One where he was just gifted all the riches and talents of Chelsea, and another where he was battling for promotion at Derby. We've barely seen enough to call him a manager, never mind a good/bad manager.

He needs to learn but I can’t help but feel his ego is standing in the way. The Derby job was a good one for him to learn in, the way they were very attacking but lacking defensively is likely what cost them hopes of promotion, the following season his loan stars went back to their parent clubs and he might have been forced to be a little more pragmatic and learn that side of the game but he fucked off. I think he clearly wasn’t ready for the Chelsea job, I get why he took it and honestly he likely won’t ever be the caliber of manager that normally manages those sides anyway. 

It would seem like from then he’s been applying solely to PL roles, like Palace, us, and now Everton. Maybe it’ll click for him, but as others have pointed out his Chelsea side was leaky defensively despite the players he had and now he has worse defenders, I guess we will see if he’s learnt. I’m not massively concerned at them giving Brentford a kicking, Brentford have been rodded like that in the 4 games leading up to that one and have been dire for 3 months or so now. 

14 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So, after lengthy deliberations, this is my best go at selecting Tuesdays team. Unfortunate on Joelinton, but we have to hope Willock can find the net.

1EB05FAD-B99D-4AC6-95B7-5E4BED827EC6.jpeg

yup, I think the big decisions are whether it’s Fraser or Joelinton who misses out and whether Howe has the guts to drop the captain  

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Howay said:

I think Lascelles is going to start tbh. I’d prefer Schar but I think Howe will go with Lascelles. 

Apparently even though he's a giant Burn isn't all the dominant or impressive in the air. Lascelles has been found wanting a few times this season in challenging for headers in the box, but he's still better than Schar in the air. So given the aforementioned and the fact that Lascelles is the captain I'd be very surprised if Howe didn't start him along with Burn. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Apparently even though he's a giant Burn isn't all the dominant or impressive in the air. Lascelles has been found wanting a few times this season in challenging for headers in the box, but he's still better than Schar in the air. So given the aforementioned and the fact that Lascelles is the captain I'd be very surprised if Howe didn't start him along with Burn. 

Good point but Howe also wants us to play out from the back, which Lascelles can’t do 

5 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Was he not at West Ham the year they went down with about 4 future England regulars? Or had he moved to Chelsea before that?

”He’s never had relegation battling experience” is the kind of argument knackers in the press make when they’re touting Allardyce for jobs btw :wink:

Think Lampard was already at Chelsea. I seem to remember a lot of people saying they’d signed the wrong midfielder, alluding to Carrick. The latter and Joe Cole went down with them I think. Was the greatest striker in the history of football not relegated with them too? 

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

And dropping Joelinton, the form he is in seems utter madness. I see CT hasn’t changed after all these years …

He’s still got it in him but his contrariness is on the wain 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

So you’re selecting Willock The Waster based solely in the hope he scores.

Im definitely not his biggest fan, but we have 5 games in the next 30 days and we need someone who has the ability to score goals other than ASM.

As we now (supposedly) have a stronger defence and stronger midfield, that may allow him to play closer to Wood when we are attacking and get goals.

Again, the stronger midfield and defence could mean we are less reliant on Joelintons new found midfield work.

I don’t think there’s any easy answers tbh but the possibility of extra goals trumps all else if we are to avoid relegation.

Edited by Christmas Tree
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

So, after lengthy deliberations, this is my best go at selecting Tuesdays team. Unfortunate on Joelinton, but we have to hope Willock can find the net.

1EB05FAD-B99D-4AC6-95B7-5E4BED827EC6.jpeg

Are Bruno, Burn and Targett related? 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Good point but Howe also wants us to play out from the back, which Lascelles can’t do 

Well Burn is supposedly very comfortable on the ball, so he might think on balance that Burn and Lascelles make the better partnership, even if Lascelles doesn't have the ball carrying and passing abilities of Schar. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Im definitely not his biggest fan, but we have 5 games in the next 30 days and we need someone who has the ability to score goals other than ASM.

As we now (supposedly) have a stronger defence and stronger midfield, that may allow him to play closer to Wood when we are attacking and get goals.

Again, the stronger midfield and defence could mean we are less reliant on Joelintons new found midfield work.

I don’t think there’s any easy answers tbh but the possibility of extra goals trumps all else if we are to avoid relegation.

We certainly need someone to play closer to Wood,but Willock hasn’t looked interested this season.He proved last season he could score goals,or was it just a period where everything he touched turned to gold.If he is selected to play up close to Wood,he certainly hasn’t earned it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

We certainly need someone to play closer to Wood,but Willock hasn’t looked interested this season.He proved last season he could score goals,or was it just a period where everything he touched turned to gold.If he is selected to play up close to Wood,he certainly hasn’t earned it.

Who else supports Wood from central midfield and scores goals we need to survive if Willock doesn’t? 

edit - Ideally we’d have Lingard in that role but that didn’t happen. Hopefully Willock can rediscover last season’s form with Bruno behind him. We need him to. Someone’s got to contribute goals from midfield. If we’re clutching at straws he looked much better in the second half against Leeds. I’ve got a feeling we might see him start a few games.

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yup, I think the big decisions are whether it’s Fraser or Joelinton who misses out and whether Howe has the guts to drop the captain  

If Willock plays, which he doesn't deserve, then I think Shelvey is the one dropped.

Fraser and Joelinton both stay in the starting lineup by both busting their arses pressing which howe loves and we need in the side. Add that Joelinton can probably communicate with Bruno better since we don't know how good his English is.

Willock offers very little if he isn't scoring and he doesn't look much like doing that.

Joelinton, Shelvey, Bruno is our midfield 3 for the season now I think. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If Willock plays, which he doesn't deserve, then I think Shelvey is the one dropped.

Fraser and Joelinton both stay in the starting lineup by both busting their arses pressing which howe loves and we need in the side. Add that Joelinton can probably communicate with Bruno better since we don't know how good his English is.

Willock offers very little if he isn't scoring and he doesn't look much like doing that.

We’ve got to find a way to get someone running off Wood though. He’s been so isolated in the two games he’s played so far - the midfield three were nowhere near him. If those are the the three we go with one of them has got to play higher up the pitch. Could be a more advanced role for Joelinton now Bruno has arrived, I guess. 

I agree that Willock has been shite this season compared to last year at least he can finish. Maybe he’d look better with Bruno behind him? He looked a bit better against z Leeds. The less said about big Joe’s finishing, the better 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We’ve got to find a way to get someone running off Wood though. He’s been so isolated in the two games he’s played so far - the midfield three were nowhere near him. If those are the the three we go with one of them has got to play higher up the pitch. Could be a more advanced role for Joelinton now Bruno has arrived, I guess. 

I agree that Willock has been shite this season compared to last year at least he can finish. Maybe he’d look better with Bruno behind him? He looked a bit better against z Leeds. The less said about big Joe’s finishing, the better 

I think having more control in midfield solves that problem on its own.

if Bruno is able to do what we’re told he can, AsM and Fraser won’t have to drop as deep to collect the ball, joelinton will have time to run forward too, rather than press, win ball and reset to have to do it again right away.

53 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Bruno’s english in that video the club released of his arrival sounds better than big Joes. But dropping Shelvey should be a given.