Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I can’t imagine we were ushering him out the door so the player must have made it clear he wanted to go. But there’s bound to have been other PL clubs where he’d be going in as No.1 so to go to Old Trafford knowing he’s not going to start is strange.

They have a massive pile up of fixtures between now and the World Cup so I think he is more likely to get games there than here. It is a shame but I believe that everything has its time and maybe that is the way it is with him. Manchester United still also has a lot of stock world wide which will raise his profile a bit. I don't think it is the best or the worst decision he could be making. 

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

ManUre have done us if these details are correct. Firstly they wanted to screw us over on Lingard. Now they want him on loan for free (ish) and probably won't buy him in the summer. Plus if Pope gets injured or has a drop in form he is far superior to Darlow.

Bad deal for NUFC.

Somewhat devil's advocated but a good proportion of our fan base (not saying you were one of them) didn't see GK as a priority this summer and therefore were more than happy with Dubravka as first choice and Darlow as back up. Now that we've signed an improvement on Dubravka suddenly Darlow is no longer good enough as an understudy. 

I'm aiming this more at the knuckle-draggers on Twitter & Facebook rather than here, but it's a valid observation.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

If De Gea has any more Brentford performances Dubravka should get the gig full time. That was unbelievable, but he's been on the decline a while hasn't he?

Precisely, and rumour has it Ten Hag doesn't rate DDG. 

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

I can’t imagine we were ushering him out the door so the player must have made it clear he wanted to go. But there’s bound to have been other PL clubs where he’d be going in as No.1 so to go to Old Trafford knowing he’s not going to start is strange.

It is very strange. I can only imagine hes been promised something as it makes no sense to go from being a bench warmer to being a bench warmer

3 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

ManUre have done us if these details are correct. Firstly they wanted to screw us over on Lingard. Now they want him on loan for free (ish) and probably won't buy him in the summer. Plus if Pope gets injured or has a drop in form he is far superior to Darlow.

Bad deal for NUFC.

Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if hes turned toxic and Howe is desperate to get him out asap

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Do you mean personality or dropping death farts in the changing room? 

Either way- get rid :lol:

The latter. Been at the sauerkraut innit

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Bad deal for NUFC.

Whatever you think of the deal at least now we know that any incoming funds or reduction in wages will be put to use in improving the squad.

For me Dubravka hasn't been at his best since returning from major injury. I have no qualms with him wanting to leave instead of playing second fiddle to Pope who has hit the ground running. Manure are competing on more fronts so Dubravka will get more game time there as second choice, plus there is the slim possibility of being able to win his place as first choice. He's already 33 years old, and whilst many goal keepers play deep into their 30s even more don't, especially those with injury problems. Pope is 3+ years younger, has fit immediately into the team and looks better than Dubravka - on balance no matter how you look at it we've done a good bit of business in the keeping department. Sure it would be preferable to have more quality in reserve but we're not there yet in terms of squad depth. The money from this can be much more effectively used elsewhere on the pitch.

• Like 2

We've only ever seen Darlow play mostly with a disorganised rabble in front of him, he'd be playing behind an organised defence this time if called upon. Trust the coaches tbh.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 2

If Dubravka improves Man U then it's bad business for us as they are the team we should be looking to displace given their ability to implode. If there's one club I hate in the prem it's Man U, I delight at their demise. I hope Ten Hag is another failure on their list of burned managers and that their latest signings flop under the pressure. 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He had a full season behind a decent Rafa defence in the Championship. He's bang average 

Bang average is pretty much what you'd expect from a second choice keeper at the mid table PL club.

• Like 2

There was a thread on twitter (which I can't now find) talking about Pope with all sorts of Fish-esque analysis/graphics for all sorts of different facets of all GK's, it showed Pope way ahead of Dubravka and just about everyone else btw, interestingly Darlow was also on it and also ahead of him in many areas (marginally mind)

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He had a full season behind a decent Rafa defence in the Championship. He's bang average 

Until we can offer European football and the realistic chance of getting to the latter stages of the domestic cups most seasons then that’s probably what we’re stuck with. 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season