Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

36 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Except they don't play in the same position. You're comparing registas and trequartistas here (apples and oranges for the old folk).

They do play in the same position, midfield, though maybe not the same role. Diego, glory to His name, has even mentioned that Veiga has played in a DM position before, so stick that in your Potatoe Pipe and Spud it.

On 21/03/2023 at 19:49, Diego21 said:

Something interesting about Veiga is that although his position is attacking midfielder, this season he has played as a defensive pivot, but also as a winger and even in a couple of games as a center forward.

And everywhere he has played well.

And my central point was that the fee for McTominay is likely to be much higher than it is for a more highly rated foreigner with perhaps a higher ceiling. 

• Haha 5

I'm not going to refute either of them (and I admit that I've also seen little of Veiga), but it is true that he has played as a defensive midfielder on several occasions this year.

In fact, since the end of January more or less his fixed position has been with Celta de Vigo playing in 4-4-2 and with Veiga being one of the team's two midfielders.

Maybe Veiga and McTominnay can play the same position. In fact, they sure can, because they are, even though their functions would be different.

In my opinion, McTominnay is a stopper or a player who plays exclusively in a defensive position, and for me he is clearly a position to reinforce in the team because we don't have anyone with those characteristics.

Veiga would be a more creative player, who (at the moment) tends to go on the attack and is not mature enough to keep the position.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I find it fascinating to hear the Fish educating us on players HE'S NEVER FUCKING SEEN.

What simple thread are you failing to FUCKING FOLLOW?

McTominay - not currently great, probably a low ceiling, will be overpriced

Veiga - currently performing well, potentially a high ceiling, not overpriced

I've seen McTominay and he's midtable, at best. Diego says Veiga is rated, is performing well and is available for £35m.

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I find it fascinating to hear the Fish educating us on players HE'S NEVER FUCKING SEEN.

It’s still marginally better than his assessments of players he has seen.

• Haha 8

Something that I hope Ashworth is working on is the free agent market because there are really interesting players at zero cost. Obviously they will ask for a transfer bonus for them... But it is a market that can be very 'affordable' and the best thing is that the agreements can be closed right away.

-Ndicka (CB/Frankfurt). He is one of the best centre-backs for the future. A player who, if he did not finish his contract, would leave his club for 30-35M. He is too young. He plays the ball very well... The 'problem' is that he's a left-footed center back, and we have Botman there as a great investment. Typical player that as soon as he signs a PSG or similar, he will be selected with France.

-Tielemans (MC/Leicester). There is not much to say. We all know him. At his highest level he is a very good player. I think it would be good to have someone with his profile because he can play alongside Bruno, but also because he has characteristics to replace him when he's not around.

-Thuram (Winger/GladBach): He is a physical beast and a versatile player above. He can play on both wings, but also as a center forward. I see him very well to complement the squad. Another similar option could be Bamba (Left Winger).

-Grimaldo/Guerreiro/Bensebaini: Three very good options for the Left Side. I would be sorry to have to sit Burn out, but I think it's a very good position to strengthen with players other than Burn himself. These three that I mention have experience in Europe. Let's say that Grimaldo and Bensebaini are on the rise and still have some room for improvement (in fact, I think that Grimaldo could be a player who wants to try to sign Barcelona and that this will lead to the national team) and perhaps Guerreiro is already going a bit further. decline and its best years are over..

-Aouar (MC/OL) ¡: Bruno's partner in the Lyon midfield. They understood each other very well. The old dream of Arsenal, who has tried to sign him in recent years. What better than to steal a player from them again?

There are players who might not get us up to the starting level of the team, but can serve as players number 16 or 17 on the roster. Doucouré, Soyuncu (if Lascelles leaves), Coufal (as a substitute for Trippier and better than Manquillo and Krafth),

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s still marginally better than his assessments of players he has seen.

You can clam the fuck up, that's what you can do.

the good place ya basic GIF by NBC

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Diego21 said:

Celta de Vigo President have said today that 4 of the Top10 Premier League teams have asked info about Gabri Veiga (In Spain some weeks ago the press said that Newcastle, Arsenal and Man United scouters were in the stands to see the pplayer) and that they only sell veiga for his realase clause (35M£)

And he said too that he knows some of the offers that clubs hava made to the player and Celta can't keep him, so he expected to sell the player in 30th June. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm shocked, i tell you. shocked

The entire English football media giving them a pass on it no more than two months ago is the most galling aspect of this fuckin debacle. No real surprise there, but can you imagine the outcry if we’d tried to pull that shit? :cuppa:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alex said:

They’d have to be absolute bargains. Otherwise those cunts can get tae fucking fuck. 

It’s not just the transfer fee that will be the problem. A lot of their most saleable players are on huge money and will find it difficult getting the same terms elsewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The entire English football media giving them a pass on it no more than two months ago is the most galling aspect of this fuckin debacle. No real surprise there, but can you imagine the outcry if we’d tried to pull that shit? :cuppa:

their new yank owner was like peter risdale on coke 

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s not just the transfer fee that will be the problem. A lot of their most saleable players are on huge money and will find it difficult getting the same terms elsewhere.

Yeah. Definitely. That’s the other side to giving people those ultra long contracts. Apart from it making it hard to shift them, they already had the issue of it being very difficult to shift those from the previous regime who are on daft money. So it compounds that. PL is right too. It’s mad how little scrutiny they’ve been under, with even those lengthy contracts I’ve mentioned being portrayed somewhat as Chelsea being clever. Rather than the huge risk it actually was. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

100%. 👍 I'd go further to be honest, I'd strip the cunts of every title/cup they won under him. It's bizarre, (not really), the free pass they've been given full stop. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

100%. 👍 I'd go further to be honest, I'd strip the cunts of every title/cup they won under him. It's bizarre, (not really), the free pass they've been given full stop. 

You have people like Simon Kuper, who’d been critical of our takeover / new owners. Apart from never having questioned Abramovich, he doubled down on it after the invasion of Ukraine and subsequent freezing of assets. I think he phrased it something like Abramovich having a ‘make no enemies’ policy or something like that. As though he was sone benign businessman, instead of being one of the gangsters who propped Putin up. He was either very naïve or, more likely, desperate to justify his obvious hypocrisy. It totally ties in with the prejudice you’ve mentioned before towards clubs / regions like ours too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

You have people like Simon Kuper, who’d been critical of our takeover / new owners. Apart from never having questioned Abramovich, he doubled down on it after the invasion of Ukraine and subsequent freezing of assets. I think he phrased it something like Abramovich having a ‘make no enemies’ policy or something like that. As though he was sone benign businessman, instead of being one of the gangsters who propped Putin up. He was either very naïve or, more likely, desperate to justify his obvious hypocrisy. It totally ties in with the prejudice you’ve mentioned before towards clubs / regions like ours too. 

If the actual state froze the assets of our club because our owner was an ally of, in real terms, an enemy foreign state, I don't think there's a cat in hells chance we get quite the same sympathy or free pass Chelsea got and are getting. I'd be amazed if they didn't call for our immediate relegation/deduction of points and if we'd won anything then that would be under pressure to be stripped from us. Just look at the difference in the tone of Man United's potential takeover or how they are with Liverpool. The regional bias is very strong and obviously not limited to just football. 

• Like 3

And as I've said before, the retrospective rule changes nodded through to avoid the embarrassment of punishing Man Utd and Liverpool for Tevez and Mascherano. 

• Like 3

Would love us to take a chance on Enzo Le Fée from Lorient. All rounded midfielder who would be the perfect replacement for Longstaff IMO and with a price tag of 15-20m it would be low risk. The lad is a baller

What price would McTominay need to be for most fans to be OK with us signing him? I've seen all the stick that McTominay and Fred got when Solskjaer and the geography teacher who replaced him were managing the club, but both have looked very decent in recent times. It's not a fluke for example that McTominay keeps timing his runs into the box to score goals. Not saying he's the next Lampard, but he does seem to score a decent amount of goals for a defensive mid, so he's not merely a stopper. I can however understand the impulse to turn your nose up at a player you are assuming isn't good enough for Manure, if they're willing to get rid. I don't think it's always that simple though when players are sold by clubs e.g. when you're behind Casemiro in the pecking order it's no great shame. Personally when I factor in the Howe effect on players I'd be happy enough if we paid somewhere in the region of 25m. Anything over 30m and I'd hope that we'd take a chance on someone with a higher potential ceiling from the German, French, Brazilian or Spanish leagues. 

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season