Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Yeah having Tonali means Bruno will be able to join attacks from deep, rather than being up there as part of his position/role. 

I think Tonali is an upgrade (serious upgrade) on Longstaff. 

I'm disappointed we haven't already signed a Szoboslai or Maddison in addition to Tonali, but I'm zen as fuck. I'm entirely confident that we'll end the window pleased with our business yet again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The bloke who guessed the Tonali transfer is suggesting we are interested in Chiesa. He would go some way to cheering me up for missing out on Maddison and Szoboslai 

Not half

Romano is saying that Liverpool are in for Lavia and he's on the list along with Thuram. Surely it would one of the other. Having said that Lavia and Thuram are very different players. Thuram is much more box to box and Lavia is a more traditional six. But I say one or the other because you'd assume Liverpool won't be spunking that much money on their midfield. If they do and Klopp ever complains about being poor again he should be shot. If they add either Lavia or Thuram to their midfield along with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai that would be roughly 160m, and they are reportedly after at least one defender as well. 

8 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Romano is saying that Liverpool are in for Lavia and he's on the list along with Thuram. Surely it would one of the other. Having said that Lavia and Thuram are very different players. Thuram is much more box to box and Lavia is a more traditional six. But I say one or the other because you'd assume Liverpool won't be spunking that much money on their midfield. If they do and Klopp ever complains about being poor again he should be shot. If they add either Lavia or Thuram to their midfield along with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai that would be roughly 160m, and they are reportedly after at least one defender as well. 

Thuram has gone to Inter according to the Beeb

Just now, Polarboy said:

That's his brother Marcus who's a forward, as opposed to a box to box mid. 

Oh righto. That family needs to branch out into other jobs lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Oh righto. That family needs to branch out into other jobs lol

Their dad is Lilian Thuram, one of the best defenders France has ever produced, so there's something going right in their DNA. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

K Thuram and Chiesa would be a very nice start to next week. We can only hope. Thuram looks an absolute beast. Him and Big Joe on that left side of the pitch would dominate teams. So hopefully Klopp doesn't actually have a seemingly unlimited budget this window, and he has to choose between Lavia and Thuram. 

Edited by Polarboy

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

K Thuram and Chiesa would be a very nice start to next week. We can only hope. Thuram looks an absolute beast. Him and Big Joe on that left side of the pitch would dominate teams. So hopefully Klopp doesn't actually have a seemingly unlimited budget this window, and he has to choose between Lavia and Thuram. 

Signing Thuram and Chiesa like its the 90s!

Does Phillipe Albert have a son who plays left back?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Signing Thuram and Chiesa like its the 90s!

Does Phillipe Albert have a son who plays left back?

Albert and any progeny he might have can fuck off. He was quoted recently saying that Tonali coming to us was a step backwards from Milan. I'm mean obviously Milan's history and success makes them a legendary club well above us in that respect, but the shine is definitely starting to dull. And you don't say that kind of thing about your ex club regardless of how true it may or may not be, at least historically. 

Just now, Polarboy said:

Albert and any progeny he might have can fuck off. He was quoted recently saying that Tonali coming to us was a step backwards from Milan. I'm mean obviously Milan's history and success makes them a legendary club well above us in that respect, but the shine is definitely starting to dull. And you don't say that kind of thing about your ex club regardless of how true it may or may not be, at least historically. 

I think that quote was attributed to him from a Milan fan/journo with a grudge. I wouldn't take it as gospel especially from Albert.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think that quote was attributed to him from a Milan fan/journo with a grudge. I wouldn't take it as gospel especially from Albert.

Yeah maybe it was taken out of context. I hadn't realized that it had come from an Italian source.

• Like 1

I see Bournemouth are supposedly going to buy Darlow for 5m off us. That's a decent amount for him, and any little bit of extra cash is welcome I'm sure to add to the transfer pot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I see Bournemouth are supposedly going to buy Darlow for 5m off us. That's a decent amount for him, and any little bit of extra cash is welcome I'm sure to add to the transfer pot. 

Don't forget the wages, son, the wages off the FFP book!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

And frees up a bit of money for wages. Not loads, Darlow must only be on about £30k, but every little bit helps, right?

20 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/07/02/newcastle-kalvin-phillips-conor-gallagher-tino-livramento/

Do we really need Phillips or Gallagher? We've got 5 CMs who will be expecting to start and Anderson who can play there too. 

I don't know if he has a place in the team, now with Tonali... But Phillips is a player that I love and for whom I would have gone on the first day of the market.

53 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I don't know if he has a place in the team, now with Tonali... But Phillips is a player that I love and for whom I would have gone on the first day of the market.

My worry is; Is it just a case of Phillips not having the ability to usurp the established Man City players, or is he a bit of a Jack Rodwell?

If it's the former, then sure he's worth a punt, if it's the latter then he should be avoided. Trouble is, how could you really know until he moves from Man City?

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season