Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Casey talking sense for once. 

More natural talent maybe, but I don't see how you can say he's a better player if you also admit Barnes is far more consistent. A better play contributes to the team consistently over a season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Twitter, I’d updated that post to mention. Not meaning anyone on here besides LTA 

ah, fair enough. The fanbase on Twitter doesn’t tend to reflect your typical supporter so I tend to avoid the football comments on there. Better bantz to be had on here 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

You're a silly goose. 

The clubs loses any goodwill with the player in that situation, why would he move to the club you want him too? Can just run down your contract or dig your heels in to force the club to accept a lower fee to a location he wants instead of being forced to head of to the middle east. 

Dont want to hear tears about loyalty/mercs from you when teams come in for Bruno later on. 

Anyway, maxi not going anywhere. 

You aren't a supporter of Newcastle United are you?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

what fuss? most people are happy he's going, as far as i can tell

I didn't specify fuss in one direction or the other. So in answer to your question, see the last two pages :razz:

• Haha 2

We might still sign a starting left back even if this deal does happen. Ashby was cheap, is unproven and may well have been one to primarily improve the second string. Krafth has had a bad injury and is limited, even if he looked really good under Howe the season before last when Tripps was injured. Manquillo has been a decent servant but lacks the quality needed now. Trippier can’t play every match. Makes sense from a cover and a versatility pov. I appreciate it’s hard to get our heads round the club building a decent squad like. I’m certainly not used to it :lol: 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I’d feel similar if we had to sell Miggy to help finance a move for Chiesa or Diaby. I’d rather have kept Miggy and ASM for squad depth and shift all the dead wood first (Fraser/Hayden/Hendrick etc) but the truth is we’ll get fuck all for those players and we will probably end up still paying a chunk of their wages even if we do manage to loan them out again. ASM and Miggy are two of the highest earners and we would get a big pile of cash up front to help with FFP from both sales 

• Like 1

I think we have to be realistic when it comes to squad building under the watchful gaze of FFP. We lurched from a bottom half of the Premier League team, to needing a Champions League squad in, what, 18 months? We didn't have a season or two competing in the Europa League where we could have brought in more depth and raised the valuation of our existing stock. Had we ended up 6th, a LB another CB and some young players like Minteh or Kuol/Ashby, we'd have been happy.

The demands of Europa League aren't as, well, demanding as they are for the Champions League and the player who we now see as not good enough, would have been fine for the likes of Union Saint-Gilloise or LASK.

We could have been confident of progressing with a team comprising of Burn, ASM, Almiron, Longstaff et al.

So now, we're trying to dramatically improve the quality and depth of our squad to do well in the planets elite football competition, without breaking FFP rules, without a recent history of the competition and with a squad that's barely deep enough to compete in the Premier League.

• Like 4

I am very happy with Barnes based on what I have seen.

Based on what Eddie did with big Joe, any defensive issues he has can be worked on!

For the right side of midfield I still don't know how Ashby will develop but he showed glimpses of promise in the last friendly and was playing further forward so who knows?
Jacob Murphy has gone way up in my estimation since last season so we might be able to get through to January with those. A really direct Barnes may free up Miggy a bit more as teams cottoned onto him mid season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think we have to be realistic when it comes to squad building under the watchful gaze of FFP. We lurched from a bottom half of the Premier League team, to needing a Champions League squad in, what, 18 months? We didn't have a season or two competing in the Europa League where we could have brought in more depth and raised the valuation of our existing stock. Had we ended up 6th, a LB another CB and some young players like Minteh or Kuol/Ashby, we'd have been happy.

The demands of Europa League aren't as, well, demanding as they are for the Champions League and the player who we now see as not good enough, would have been fine for the likes of Union Saint-Gilloise or LASK.

We could have been confident of progressing with a team comprising of Burn, ASM, Almiron, Longstaff et al.

So now, we're trying to dramatically improve the quality and depth of our squad to do well in the planets elite football competition, without breaking FFP rules, without a recent history of the competition and with a squad that's barely deep enough to compete in the Premier League.

Absolutley

They were talking on TalkSport last night about what fans we're hoping for this season out of 10 and how they they felt at this very moment to acheive it out of 10.  So for Arsenal a 10/10 would be league win and a decent run in the ECL and most fans were 8/10 to acheive that.

I only listened for 20mins whilst on't bus and didn't hear any mags.  But it got me thinking.

For me, a 10 out of 10 would be qualifying Top 4 again and a decent run in the cups.  I would like to get to another cup final, especially the FA Cup.  But we have to be very realistic (Large chunks of football fans aren't especially this time of the season when they're excited).  If we won a cup and got Top 6, again I would say that's 10/10.

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Absolutley

They were talking on TalkSport last night about what fans we're hoping for this season out of 10 and how they they felt at this very moment to acheive it out of 10.  So for Arsenal a 10/10 would be league win and a decent run in the ECL and most fans were 8/10 to acheive that.

I only listened for 20mins whilst on't bus and didn't hear any mags.  But it got me thinking.

For me, a 10 out of 10 would be qualifying Top 4 again and a decent run in the cups.  I would like to get to another cup final, especially the FA Cup.  But we have to be very realistic (Large chunks of football fans aren't especially this time of the season when they're excited).  If we won a cup and got Top 6, again I would say that's 10/10.

winning a cup is 10/10 - despite whatever else happens in the league 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

winning a cup is 10/10 - despite whatever else happens in the league 

So you're okay with relegation so long as we win a cup? :slap:

>> Safety wink :wink2: as I know you're not <<

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season