Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

16 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Am I missing something about Asensio? His numbers don't seem all that impressive given he's been playing for arguably the top team in Spain, and one of the top teams in Europe. I know he's been in and out of the side, so perhaps he's been unable to build up some momentum. Then again if his transfer fee is what's being reported, as in 20-25m, then he's well worth the very marginal risk. 

He's pretty fucking good. Not great defensively, mind.

Screenshot_20220708-113034.png

• Like 1

Asensio is a quality player, my only reservation about signing him would be that he’s a 3 time league and CL winner how motivated would he be for us? Not saying he wouldn’t work hard and be brilliant but it’s always a slight question mark when a player that’s won so much so young is making a step down. 

Saying all that he’s fucking brilliant to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

First sign of competition for him in years and his agents twisting 

Absolutely spot on. Plus his injury record has caused the move for Pope as much as the lack of cover. He’s also under contract until 2025 

• Like 2

When Real Madrid signed Asensio, I promise you that I thought he was going to be the future star of Spain. He spent a year on loan at a team called RC Espanyol, and he was incredibly good. His first season at Real Madrid, too.

He is a player with incredible quality and absolutely perfect technical conditions. He runs counterattacks very well and has an excellent ball strike.

Now, I think he lacks greatness and that he is a conformist player. Since 2019 his level is quite irregular (it is true that in June 2019 he had a very serious knee injury) but this came from before.

On many occasions, when they have asked him about his level or his demands, he has shown that he is not great with statements such as "I am not the one who has to pull the cart, I am very young, other players have to play here".

He is easily erased from matches. A couple of years ago he missed a game because of an infected hair on his leg, for example.

He is a very strange player. Because he hasn't been important or a starter at Real Madrid for years, and instead the other day Luis Enrique gave him the starting job in Spain and he was the best.

Without a doubt, for 20-25 million he would be a great signing. I think he plays better on both wings and not behind a striker.

His contract ends next year and Real Madrid want to sell him because they know that his intention is to leave for free (and he has an offer for it from Atletico de Madrid)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Absolutely spot on. Plus his injury record has caused the move for Pope as much as the lack of cover. He’s also under contract until 2025 

He is a coward. /essembee 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

didn't realise he was 33 in a few months,

Barely played the last few seasons though, so he's a spritely almost 33 year old.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:03 PM, Alex said:

I understand Dubravka. When you sign a goalkeeper for 10-11 million like Pope, who is an England international and the second choice after Pickford, you know that if you are Duvrabka you are going to have a very difficult time playing.

Dubravka is at a difficult point in his career because after his poor performance in the last European Championship, he is also losing his place as a starter in Slovakia.

If Dubravka loses his starting site at Newcastle, his career is over. On the other hand, if he goes to a team where he is a starter, a minor team in England like Norwich, or a minor team in Europe like Sparta Prague or Brugges or similar, he can extend his career as a starter for 2-3 more years and even have options to continue playing for Slovakia.

Really when he came to the team, it was already a strong bet, because Ashley did not want to sign him at all and Rafa had Elliott, Darlow and even Woodman on the payroll

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Saying his career is over is a bit extreme. He'd get. gam3e for a lot of PL teams.

I think he meant if he were to see his contract out here but as second choice keeper 

The Newcastle United Blog | This Player For £45M Would Really Get Newcastle Fans Buzzing - The Newcastle United Blog (nufcblog.com)

Media Foot in France are reporting that we have an active 34m bid in for Paqueta. I suppose it's possible that we put an early bid in to test the waters, and then come in again later in the window if any movement happens either from Lyon or other clubs such as Arsenal coming in for him. Interestingly enough having looked at his info again he has played centre forward a fair few times in his career. Perhaps more as a false nine, but he could be an interesting choice for back up for Wilson when he needs a rest or is injured, if he truly is that versatile. 

1 hour ago, acrossthepond said:

Boo hoo. Get vaxxed you numb, overpaid fucking morons. 

Serious question. Why?

Because you did?

Edited by Dougle
  • Jaysus... 1

If, at this point, you want to discuss why people should be getting vaccinated, take it to PM or the Coronavirus thread.

• Like 4

Because it's a communicable yet preventable disease for which a safe and effective vaccine is readily available. Much like meningitis. There is absolutely no reason, barring allergy, why anyone eligible should not have their meningitis vaccination. You wouldn't twist if I suggested that PL players who couldn't find new clubs because they didn't have meningitis vaccinations ought to stop complaining and go and get their jabs. So why quibble over COVID? 

But I'll go one further and say that it's part of the price of entry. Clubs do not want to invest in players who they might lose to a random, uncontrollable COVID outbreak at a vital point in the season. Therefore, the players in question can either 

a) Cry about it, hence "boo hoo" or

b) Get vaxxed, the numb, overpaid fucking morons. 

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season