World Cup 2022

20 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

It’s going to be £12 for 500ml of Budweiser, the only booze.  

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

If you're unlucky enough to be there that's got to hurt. Once again fuck FIFA and the former president Blatter who 'courageously' now comes out saying it was a bad choice. No fucking shit you fat headed fuckwit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OTF said:

If you're unlucky enough to be there that's got to hurt. Once again fuck FIFA and the former president Blatter who 'courageously' now comes out saying it was a bad choice. No fucking shit you fat headed fuckwit.

Courageously after banking the cheque

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Renton said:

From my memory:

Argentina 78: [incredibly vague to me, remember winding up my Scottish realives]:  canny

That was the WC that kicked off real widespread animosity between England/Scotland at football.

Was a pre-game pundit TV thing Emlyn Hughes (then England captain) Bobby Charlton and some others, they were asked who they thought would win and Hughes said "I want whoever plays Scotland to win, I hate them", Charlton looked totally shocked and it caused not a wee bit of angst, Up until then all the home nations, in the main, supported each other. Emlyn Hughes forever a cunt in my eyes (dead cunt now obvs). 

Oh aye, up until 78 Scotland had a better WC qualification record than England.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

A better record when it was harder to qualify, ironically. Although up until the mid-late 80s they had some genuinely great players 

The two arse cheeks at the top of the Scottish league killed any production line, bought up most of the emerging talent as soon as there was a glimmer and then they could afford to pay them double what they'd get elsewhere to sit on the bench, and they basically just never played enough to develop. 

Be better longer term for Scottish football if The Rangers had stayed dead and Celtic just fucked off.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wardi said:

Toney just charged with 232 betting offences.  Possibly the final nail in his squad inclusion?

He missed the squad, but he's an outside chance of hosting the World Cup in 2030.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Doesn’t make sense. Why wheel him out in front of the media if he’s fucked? 

'Ooooo like everyone, I've picked him because he's on fire.  He's fuck all chance of playing as I prefer shite like Maguire, Pickford, Sterling etc'

10 hours ago, Tom said:

If you're the kind of person that goes to Qatar you deserve it :lol:

This is part of my logic behind watching the World Cup with a clear conscience. I've already watched athletics from Doha and the like for years anyway; it's not like I can do anything to affect the decisions that are made at the top level of fundamentally corrupt sports; but primarily, if the whole thing's going to be the magnificent shitshow it looks like being, why would I not want to watch it?

• Like 3

On 16/11/2022 at 13:19, Renton said:
On 16/11/2022 at 13:19, Renton said:

From my memory:

Argentina 78: [incredibly vague to me, remember winding up my Scottish realives]:  canny

Spain 82: canny again, still can't get my head around the round Robin format

Mexico 86: lush, then again I was 15, oh my.

Italia 90: supremely lush [at Uni, best days of my sad life!]

USA 94: England not in, Diana Ross miskicked ball, just utter shut really [start of my PhD]

England 96 [honourable mention], peak britpop, nufc fantastic, peak lush

France 98: Zidane, lush [why the fuck am I still doing a PhD?]

Japan/Korea 2002: howay man with this timezone shit [at this point I am starting to dislike England, first proper job]. Shit. 

Germany 2006: can barely remember this tttt, got a T shirt of it when I visited Berlin though. Must have been shit.

South Africa 2010: those annoying vuvuva, vuvel, vulvav, fucking noisy things, Shakira. Shit.

Brazil 2014: I know its nearer in time, but I literally only remember Germany trouncing Brazil 17 nil or something, when they were captained by side show Bob. Shit. 

Russia 2018: didn't watch it, couldn't even tell you who won. The nearer we get to the present time the less interested I am and the less I remember. I've probably got alzheimers.

Qatar 2022: not even any blart, will be shit.

Italia 90: I was 8 so don't remember watching it, but it was my first England strip and my school mates thought it was class

USA 94: Can't remember watching much of it 

England 96: Was 13 or 14, so too young to fully enjoy going to matches or to the pub. Still have fond memories of the Summer though, lush weather, good music, Shearer smashing them in

France 98: Random memory of watching Owen's goal against Argentina on the portable telly in my bedroom while my mates (who were emo and hated football) couldn't care less. Ended up migrating towards a different friendship group after that 

Japan/Korea 2002: Was living in Leeds and dating a new girlfriend. Spent most of the tournament waking up early to watch the football, then shagging. Happy days 

Germany 2006: Ronaldo being a cunt after his penalty 

South Africa 2010: Vuvuzela's

Brazil 2014: 1 point in 3 games. Shows how boring the England team was during the "golden generation"

Russia 2018: Remember beating Columbia on penalties and thinking this was our year. Then we chucked it against Croatia 

Qatar 2022: I'm at work for game 1 and the wife's at work for game 2 and 3 (and I've got a 6 year old) so I'll be sat on my Billy watching the group stage in the house. Shite. also my Sisters wedding day for the round after that. FML

Edited by Kid Dynamite

I have to disagree with Renton's view of the Germany WC in 2006. It was a more than decent world cup sandwiched between two horror shows of Japan/South Korea and the South Africa tournament. 

España '82 was the first I remember but it's a bit vague now as I was only about 8 1/2! Mexico ''86 I loved, Italia '90 was great then it started to go downhill. USA '94 was compared to the previous ones and I didn't care for it that much but with hindsight it pisses all over 2002 and 2010. France '98 was ok. Brazil and Russia were nothing to write home about tbh. Expecting this to be a shit show as well.

• Like 1