Anthony Gordon Handsome Winger Man

Ayatollah Hermione

18 hours ago, Howay said:

I’m hoping not tbh, Almiron is one of the more frustrating players on our team imo. He had a good goal run up until about January but outside of that he’s just good for pressing. 

Disagree. The goals dried up a bit toward the end of last season and his form dropped off a little after his injury but he was still generally excellent and one of our most improved players.

His performance against Brighton in the run in confirmed he is an important first team player and his form in the first half of the season wasn’t just a purple patch. He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile that day, against a quality side in a must-win game. 

Howe backs players who have delivered for him and I think RW is still Miggy’s position to lose. 

• Like 3

Yeah. I don’t get the Almiron hate. He had a cracking season then an injury slowed him down.

He is also so rapid that he can get it his on his left foot quickly so I’m not too fussed about this “one-footed”. There aren’t many two footed, lightening quick , goal scoring wingers around. 

• Like 1

I mean, the fact he simply won't use his right foot is a massive flaw in his game tbh. It isn't simply that he's not as good with both feet.

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 1

I think it was teams sitting deeper against us that meant he didn’t perform as well second half of the season as much as anything else. I think that’ll be a problem going forward if he’s a regular starter. That doesn’t mean I don’t like that lad or recognise the job he’s done, etc. If that wasn’t a purple patch though you’d be looking at a truly world class player. It clearly was / he isn’t 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Disagree. The goals dried up a bit toward the end of last season and his form dropped off a little after his injury but he was still generally excellent and one of our most improved players.

His performance against Brighton in the run in confirmed he is an important first team player and his form in the first half of the season wasn’t just a purple patch. He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile that day, against a quality side in a must-win game. 

Howe backs players who have delivered for him and I think RW is still Miggy’s position to lose. 

I remember having a very similar argument last season with people when I said I wouldn’t sign Targett. As Alex says a lot of the goal scoring wasn’t just a purple patch he was also playing against defences that played into his strength, the back end of the season teams sat deeper against us and he struggled not just for goals but in his overall game as he’s not that good on the ball. I couldn’t disagree more about him being the best player against Brighton, he wasn’t even close to Joelinton and others in fact at 2-0 up him missing a total fucking sitter almost cost us as Brighton made it 2-1 immediately after. 

He’s improved but that still doesn’t make him close to players like Gordon. His pressing side of the game is good but it’s overblown in terms of effectiveness because of how much he runs, I saw OTF mention Gordon’s pressing in comparison I think it’s a tough compare since Gordon is adapting to our system and we’ve not got a huge sample size from him but I’ve posted his stats below and you can see last season per 90 Gordon was among the best in terms of pressing type actions. I also think you’re being unfair on Barnes OTF, I’ve added his stats below as well from the season before last - it’s a hard compare because Rodgers doesn’t play a press he’s more possession based and wants his forwards to remain up top which was made worse last season as they struggled so Barnes stayed forward. 

Players like Almiron and Murphy missing so many chances at the back of the season is what started to make the end nervy, that’s why I hope Gordon plays as he’s a far better player than Almiron and we’ve spent significant money on him. I’d keep Almiron as a squad player as he can be a useful player but we need to improve that position. 

I disagree with your last point too Gloom, Howe backs his players but he’s also ruthless - Lascelles, Targett, Fraser, and Ritchie all were effective players for him in the takeover season and he basically dropped all of them when we’ve improved on them. Maybe he will start Almiron but as I say I’d be disappointed as I don’t think we will get anything more out of him next season and tbh I think we will get a drop off. 
Almiron last season:

IMG_4741.jpeg

Barnes 2021/2022

IMG_4740.jpeg

Gordon last season

IMG_4739.jpeg

A lot of the defense for keeping Almiron as starter seems a bit sentimental to me, which is fine obviously but as I say I’d prefer we improved the position and kept him as back up. It’s similar to how Southgate plays Maguire and Pickford over objectively better players in that they’ve performed for him so he won’t take a risk to see if things improve - I think, and hope, Howe will take the risk. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Howay said:

I remember having a very similar argument last season with people when I said I wouldn’t sign Targett. As Alex says a lot of the goal scoring wasn’t just a purple patch he was also playing against defences that played into his strength, the back end of the season teams sat deeper against us and he struggled not just for goals but in his overall game as he’s not that good on the ball. I couldn’t disagree more about him being the best player against Brighton, he wasn’t even close to Joelinton and others in fact at 2-0 up him missing a total fucking sitter almost cost us and Brighton made it 2-1 immediately after. 

He’s improved but that still doesn’t make him close to players like Gordon. His pressing side of the game is good but it’s overblown in terms of effectiveness because of how much he runs, I saw OTF mention Gordon’s pressing in comparison I think it’s a tough compare since Gordon is adapting to our system and we’ve not got a huge sample size from him but I’ve posted his stats below and you can see last season per 90 Gordon was among the best in terms of pressing type actions. I also think you’re being unfair on Barnes OTF, I’ve added his stats below as well from the season before last - it’s a hard compare because Rodgers doesn’t play a press he’s more possession based and wants his forwards to remain up top which was made worse last season as they struggled so Barnes stayed forward. 

Players like Almiron and Murphy missing so many chances at the back of the season is what started to make the end nervy, that’s why I hope Gordon plays as he’s a far better player than Almiron and we’ve spent significant money on him. I’d keep Almiron as a squad player as he can be a useful player but we need to improve that position. 

I disagree with your last point too Gloom, Howe backs his players but he’s also ruthless Lascelles, Targett, Fraser, and Ritchie all were effective players for him in the takeover season and he basically dropped all of them when we’ve improved on them. Maybe he will start Almiron but as I say I’d be disappointed as I don’t think we will get anything more out of him next season and tbh I think we will get a drop off. 

IMG_4741.jpeg

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4739.jpeg

He was scintillating against Brighton. I was at that game and he was a joy to watch - he was absolutely everywhere. My motm in that one without a doubt. 

I don’t think he’s world class, his lack of a right foot is a massive flaw in his game. Ideally he would be a squad player rather than first pick but Howe trusts him to execute the game plan and it’s striking that he was reinstated as first choice toward the end of the season despite healthy competition in wide areas.

If we fail to sign a new RW I think he remains Howe’s first choice for the first game of the new season but I guess we’ll see

• Like 3

Agree with Gloom, Miggy is tried and tested and by and large, did the job last season. He was in a purple patch when everything he did turned to goals but even over a season it was an impressive return. I still think he will be decent this year, but we do need options. Last year's option was Murphy around 75 minutes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Chiesa and Lewis Hall and we’re good to go 

I know Lascelles played well in Philly but it will be a slightly different environment if he has to step up in Madrid or Munich. We need CB cover. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I know Lascelles played well in Philly but it will be a slightly different environment if he has to step up in Madrid or Munich. We need CB cover. 

He played well against Man City when called on. For defenders confidence is very important, I feel like our squad and Lascelles, as our internally heralded captain, have it despite him not playing often. Credit to Eddie for this. Even if we bring in a better (AKA more technical defender) will we want to upset the partnership that Schar and Botman have built by routinely playing the new defender? It's a tough balancing act for Howe either way, and it will also hinges on how we line up - whether we play the adjustable 4-3-3 that facilitates Trippier overlapping routinely and Burn tucking in to an almost back 3, or whether we go to a more traditional back 4 and Burn becomes an option for CB rather than first choice in that hybrid 4. Personally I can see Howe retaining the hybrid structure for many of our premier league games but as required using our bench to change up our shape as games require. I agree though thay we're short on cover at the back, a couple of injuries would leave us really exposed.

Regarding Gordon and his pressing, I didn't see a lot of him at Everton outside of when we played them. I'm basing my comments about his pressing on what I've seen of him here. He has put thr effort in but hasn't been as effective as I would like given his speed and age. The point I eas trying to press (ha ha) about Miggy is that he has a crazy amount of energy/stamina and even when he's been pressing all game he still has the energy late on to be making runs and to continue with the press. I don't know whether that will be the case for Gordon or Barnes, I hope so, but it would be unrealistic to expect it. We see with other players putting that sort of effort in they hit the wall and need to be subbed (e.g. Willock) or start giving away unnecessary free kicks (Joelinton). 

We absolutely need the long-term Schar replacement in the door like. Lascelles is a good enough option to put in to give Schar a rest against your low on confidence shite but he can’t be trusted to play too many high-level games, even with Trippier, Botman and Pope keeping him right. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I mean, the fact he simply won't use his right foot is a massive flaw in his game tbh. It isn't simply that he's not as good with both feet.

I never once saw David Silva use his right foot.

The Almiron-Silva comparison? I was merely pointing out one footed players can make an elite level. Not that I am saying Almiron will.

Pacey players generally have inadequacies in other areas. Finishing in Miggys case. 

• Like 1

That ball for Miggys goal was absolute class. Only working off the highlights and .coms account of the game but sounds like AG was again the standout performer. 

16 minutes ago, Chaser said:

That ball for Miggys goal was absolute class. Only working off the highlights and .coms account of the game but sounds like AG was again the standout performer. 

Rent Free

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Also shows we shouldn't be looking at Cucurella 

• Like 3