Sandro Tonali

wykikitoon

36 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So I'm going to be honest here and say my interpretation of 'betting on cards' is poker. I assume it's not that though because I don't see why they would need to 'admit' it - so what is meant by that phrase?

Nah, it'll be betting on bookings (Yellow and red cards). Same thing as Paqueta.

Brevity is hard.

• Like 1

It says in a statement  in La Republica that Tonali and Zaniolo have admitted to illegal betting on blackjack and poker, so I would assume the method by which they were betting on cards was illegal i.e. a dodgy betting website etc. Which is why the term admitted was used because there is some criminality being confessed to. I would imagine a fine and slap on the wrists is all Sandro would get if it turns out he was just making illegal bets on cards, so again lets hope that's all he was up to. The silver lining of this is if indeed he only gets a slap on the wrists, is that he can then move on without it over his head, and he can fully settle and find his best form for us. Apparently he and Zaniolo's phones were seized before they moved to us and Villa respectively, so it's been hanging over Sandro's head the whole time he's been at the club. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 3

If that’s the case it’s probably even more straightforward than that. Even two friends betting with each other over a game of cards is illegal in Italy due to their strict gambling laws. So that would be a criminal matter likely resulting in a fine. The footballing authorities wouldn’t get involved you’d think (except perhaps for some sanction over something like bringing the game into disrepute should he return to an Italian team) 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

I suspect it's a case of them saying "Mamma Mia! Alla we've don-na is play-ad a cards a for a monnnney" and that's been reported as "admitted to betting on cards"

FYP. 

• Haha 3

Sounds like Italy has fairly draconian gambling laws. Wouldn't be surprised if this was literally just Tonali getting caught playing online blackjack. Something PL clubs have literally advertised on their shirts 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_in_Italy#:~:text=Gambling law,-According to Italian&text=Only the State has the,ranges from fines to imprisonment.

It does sound like this is probably a big enough deal to have been really bothering him. Maybe he was told that he'd probably have his playing career in Italy interfered if he stayed.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

It does sound like this is probably a big enough deal to have been really bothering him. Maybe he was told that he'd probably have his playing career in Italy interfered if he stayed.

Makes sense as to why he was seemingly pushed into a move overseas then!

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I think there’s an agreement under UEFA rules that one countries FA bans would be upheld by the other nations FA’s, so if he gets banned by the Italian FA the English FA would similarly ban him.