Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

Of course I’m being facetious. I didn’t even watch the game. 

I think I lost interest in the England team around the Steve McClaren era. However looking purely on paper, Southgate has done better than most England managers.(maybe the stats guys can back this up! 😀)

I totally understand that he prioritises certain players but I’m not sure swapping Longstaff for Phillips and Ward Prowse for Henderson is going to win us a Euros or World Cup. 

Perhaps I’m being too logical as I’m not emotionally invested. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Of course I’m being facetious. I didn’t even watch the game. 

I think I lost interest in the England team around the Steve McClaren era. However looking purely on paper, Southgate has done better than most England managers.(maybe the stats guys can back this up! 😀)

I totally understand that he prioritises certain players but I’m not sure swapping Longstaff for Phillips and Ward Prowse for Henderson is going to win us a Euros or World Cup. 

Perhaps I’m being too logical as I’m not emotionally invested. 

Tbf I only watched about 20 minutes before turning over to watch some paint dry. I like Henderson as well. I think he was a top player but I don’t really get giving him over an hour’s game time in a match like that. I don’t even think he warrants a place in the squad any more. For a player like that, when your legs go a bit you lose a lot of what made you such a good player in the first place. I know Southgate rates him as a great character to have around etc but that shouldn’t justify giving him matches. I don’t think he’ll do it but Southgate should be looking at a midfield of Rice, Bellingham and maybe a player like Alexander-Arnold. Why play the latter at RB last night? Even in the bits I saw he got caught out of position a couple of times and you’ll come against much better opposition than Australia. And Australia were basically a very well drilled team, saying come and break us down and he plays two holding midfielders? He seems like a nice bloke but the manager has lost the plot imo. A bit like yourself, I’m not that arsed but I think he’s not getting the most out of the players at his disposal 

• Like 3

I agree with what you’re saying but I’m looking from a bigger picture and this game doesn’t really matter. 

I’m not arguing certain players shouldn’t be given a chance over players not playing or playing at a county league level.  He probably should just be judged on his results. He flies through qualifiers and has done well in the finals. 

Wasnt Bobby ripped apart with the nation calling for his head? (I think this could have peaked after a 1-1 draw in Malaysia ?)

9 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I agree with what you’re saying but I’m looking from a bigger picture and this game doesn’t really matter. 

I’m not arguing certain players shouldn’t be given a chance over players not playing or playing at a county league level.  He probably should just be judged on his results. He flies through qualifiers and has done well in the finals. 

Wasnt Bobby ripped apart with the nation calling for his head? (I think this could have peaked after a 1-1 draw in Malaysia ?)

Qualifying is easier than it used to be. I get the argument about doing better than his predecessors in major finals. But I think there’s a strong argument he’s had a better set of players too. That said, I do also agree he’s done better than sone of them would’ve done with those players. Actually though, someone like Robson would’ve been perfect 

I just think with the options he used (as opposed to those he could have used), we should be beating a pub team convincingly. The fact we didn't (given the players are regular premier league players) must be down to the manager. 

4 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

I just think with the options he used (as opposed to those he could have used), we should be beating a pub team convincingly. The fact we didn't (given the players are regular premier league players) must be down to the manager. 

Arnie, who is one of the worst coaches in the history of the game, up there with the Baconator, even looked fucked off at the end of the game that Australia hadn't got something from that.

• Like 2

Hes pissing away the chance to blood a new younger squad on games that are tailor made for that purpose.

Henderson is the ultimate example.

When he leaves we'll be left with a generation of talent all hitting 26-28 who have no international experience all so jordan henderson could get an hour against Australia in the twilight of his career. 

Absolutely valueless.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Arnie, who is one of the worst coaches in the history of the game, up there with the Baconator, even looked fucked off at the end of the game that Australia hadn't got something from that.

Can't stand the man! 😡 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Hes pissing away the chance to blood a new younger squad on games that are tailor made for that purpose.

Henderson is the ultimate example.

When he leaves we'll be left with a generation of talent all hitting 26-28 who have no international experience all so jordan henderson could get an hour against Australia in the twilight of his career. 

Absolutely valueless.

Standard England manager behaviour.

Wear striking waistcoats (optional) > Promise to select on form > initially select on form > establish who pals are > pick pals > get sacked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Mbappe scores after 6 minutes v the cloggies in Amsterdam, proving Dan Burn and Jermaine Lascelles are indeed better than Virgil VD :cuppa: 

17 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Reported

aHR0cDovL2ltYWdlLmloZWFydC5jb20vaW1hZ2Vz

🎵

You don't have to get his name right 

To have a good post, (aha)

You could dance and party all night (all night)

And drink some cherry wine, (aha).

🎶

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Out of interest, has anyone ever had cherry wine before? Never seen it in my life. :cuppa:

I think Cherry B (which I’ve never seen for years) is cherry wine. The sort of thing deemed a suitable drink for a young lady on a night out many moons ago. Especially if the establishment had ran out of Babycham :lol: 

• Haha 3

Never got this thing about a 'good person to have around the dressing room' with the international side. If they're that good, just take them along. What's the harm in having them there, not playing? 

They have senior pros with the U21s who rarely get any game time, don't they? Why not do the same with the senior team? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Never got this thing about a 'good person to have around the dressing room' with the international side. If they're that good, just take them along. What's the harm in having them there, not playing? 

They have senior pros with the U21s who rarely get any game time, don't they? Why not do the same with the senior team? 

We should test this theory by putting the top 22 Toontastic posters in a hotel together for a month. 

id imagine 22 wouldn’t return. 😂

• Haha 1