General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Just had a letter from the council warning of a bird flu outbreak in Byker and as I'm within 3km I have to register any birds I have and if I don't have any get in touch if I see any dead wildfowl etc lying about. So apart from climate change, RW power grabs, covid and now avian influenza......what else is coming our way?

Re: Jimmy Carr's joke. 

I honestly think he underestimated the casual racism towards gypsies. I think he was expecting the same kind of "I can't believe he's said that" reaction that he gets from many of his other jokes. 

Instead he got a glimpse into the bigotry that Al Murray gets when he tours his Pub Landlord stuff. The Pub Landlord is supposed to be the butt of the joke, and in this case I personally believe Jimmy Carr thought he'd be the butt of the joke too.

Doesn't make the joke funny, inoffensive, or anything else, just my take.

I'm just asking questions guys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

I used to find it odd when I was working down there regularly all the parakeets in St James’s Park when I would have a stroll at lunchtime. But I was reading recently there’s a load of them in Walker Park. I haven’t been for years like and I must confess that I’m not that curious 

London’s full of them. Bloody foreign birds coming over here, taking our seeds 

image.jpeg.fb526d8b8c5d62a143a03371985052be.jpeg

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Just had a letter from the council warning of a bird flu outbreak in Byker and as I'm within 3km I have to register any birds I have and if I don't have any get in touch if I see any dead wildfowl etc lying about. So apart from climate change, RW power grabs, covid and now avian influenza......what else is coming our way?

not now, bird flu outbreak in Byker 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

You had to fucking ask :lol:

7CA4011D-A3FD-46B9-B50B-1CD2496A976E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I used to find it odd when I was working down there regularly all the parakeets in St James’s Park when I would have a stroll at lunchtime. But I was reading recently there’s a load of them in Walker Park. I haven’t been for years like and I must confess that I’m not that curious 

There’s colonies of them in Fenham Hall Drive allotments and Richardson Dees park in Wallsend, too. 
Nice to see now and then, but fuck living near the squawking bastards. 

• Haha 1

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before but some absolute arsehole in the near vicinity has decided to buy not just numerous chickens, but a fucking rooster.

To keep in the (average at best) back garden of his semi detached, the fucking good life prick. The incessant squawking is doing my nut in. I have made it my life goal to kill, cook and eat them and post him back the carcasses. 

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, strawb said:

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before but some absolute arsehole in the near vicinity has decided to buy not just numerous chickens, but a fucking rooster.

To keep in the (average at best) back garden of his semi detached, the fucking good life prick. The incessant squawking is doing my nut in. I have made it my life goal to kill, cook and eat them and post him back the carcasses. 

Don't you get foxes round your way? I had one chilling by the garden furniture last September

Fox.png

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Don't you get foxes round your way? I had one chilling by the garden furniture last September

Fox.png

Yeah I have to either pick up or dodge fox shite every time I’m in the garden, had them fucking near the bins a couple of weeks ago. Reminded me of growing up in boro

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Many, many moons ago I was a witness to my own assault (with a pool cue in a multi storey car park, scenario fans 😎)  and was cross examined in Crown Court by the poshest QC you could imagine, fucker made the queen sound like Waynetta Slob...."did you hear the defendent call you a fucking cunt?"  :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Re: Jimmy Carr's joke. 

I honestly think he underestimated the casual racism towards gypsies. I think he was expecting the same kind of "I can't believe he's said that" reaction that he gets from many of his other jokes. 

Instead he got a glimpse into the bigotry that Al Murray gets when he tours his Pub Landlord stuff. The Pub Landlord is supposed to be the butt of the joke, and in this case I personally believe Jimmy Carr thought he'd be the butt of the joke too.

Doesn't make the joke funny, inoffensive, or anything else, just my take.

I'm just asking questions guys.

This isn't a dig, but are you baically suggesting that he didn't know it was as racist as the Twitterverse etc perceives it to be? 

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

This isn't a dig, but are you baically suggesting that he didn't know it was as racist as the Twitterverse etc perceives it to be? 

He knew it was racist, but was not expecting the audience to be so racist as to find the joke hilarious. 

The point I assume was more to point out racism against Roma was so commonplace and accepted that nobody was aware of the Roma killed

Proved his point a little too well

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

He knew it was racist, but was not expecting the audience to be so racist as to find the joke hilarious. 

The point I assume was more to point out racism against Roma was so commonplace and accepted that nobody was aware of the Roma killed

Proved his point a little too well

Aah right....  I've seen him twice, he did a  gypsy joke in at least one of those shows, in Poole, which is a lovely mix of new money millionaire wankers down around the harbour and 2nd generation diddycoys 3 miles up the road on the council estates at the top of the hill. But he didn't mention the holocaust...

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Aah right....  I've seen him twice, he did a  gypsy joke in at least one of those shows, in Poole, which is a lovely mix of new money millionaire wankers down around the harbour and 2nd generation diddycoys 3 miles up the road on the council estates at the top of the hill. But he didn't mention the holocaust...

Or I might be giving him too much credit and he's just a massive racist of course 

9 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Or I might be giving him too much credit and he's just a massive racist of course 

I think there's probably more to it than that. But he might just be doing what comics are known to do when they're in hot water,  use some convoluted algorithm of the "it was just a joke" get out clause.  I've recently listened to his "self help" book... which was a bit self regarding but funny in parts...at some point in the book.he said the joke that would end his career was already out there...think he's been waiting for this moment for a long time which means he's pretty well prepared for it. I think TV will dump him but he says he's not bothered by that, live  stand is his thing and he'll always get a huge audience....unless the venues cancel him...

As has been said, the biggest offence is its just not funny. If you're planning on a career ending joke, at least make it a funny one. At least make some point.

Stand up is a strange one for me. Used to  follow the scene somewhat, before kids. I've invariably found stand ups are better in their early formative  years, and as they get more famous they become stale. Small venues help too, comedy clubs are infinitely better than arenas and normally a lot cheaper too. Best of all is the Edinburgh fringe.

• Like 1