Newcastle owner Mike Ashley shelves plans for statue of Alan Shearer

Scottish Mag

I always remember one game, Crystal Palace at home in the FA Cup in 1999, when Shearer was taken out by an outrageous tackle near the Gallowgate corner. One concerned Geordie near me, in a serious voice, yelled: "Howay man, he's all we've got man!"

:lol: Almost as good as Barton tying his own laces.

Edited by ewerk

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources close to the dressing room told me at the time that several senior members (who have now left the club) of the Newcastle team, a squad that was heavily pampered, did not buy into some of his ideas.

Where was the criticism of these players at the time?

Also no mention of the fact that Ashley vetoed this plan at SJP.

Shit article as per usual, but a couple of interesting subtexts - Ryder didn't use the horrific 'SDA' (can't even bring myself to type it out) and his continuing praise for Shearer, who's been vilified in the press by Dekka a couple of times now, suggests he may not be playing the arselicker role as overtly as he has in the past.

Shit article as per usual, but a couple of interesting subtexts - Ryder didn't use the horrific 'SDA' (can't even bring myself to type it out) and his continuing praise for Shearer, who's been vilified in the press by Dekka a couple of times now, suggests he may not be playing the arselicker role as overtly as he has in the past.

Or that he's shit scared of Shearer.....

Shearer spent his last two seasons for NUFC looking like a statue anyway. It was fucking embarrassing how our progress was put on hold just so he could break Milburn's record.

• 1 month later...

I just heard this on local ABC news radio:

Shearer favourite to take over as Blackburn prepare to sack Kean

By John Edwards

Alan Shearer is the front-runner to take over as Blackburn manager as owners Venky's prepare to put an end to Steve Kean's public torment.

Venky's bosses are studying reports of Saturday's shambolic home defeat by West Bromwich before deciding whether to axe Kean now or hand him one final opportunity, in Tuesday's basement battle with Bolton.

article-2075919-043F0DE6000005DC-759_468x298.jpg

Al's your man: Former Newcastle boss Alan Shearer is being tipped to take over at Blackburn

Either way, former Blackburn striker Shearer is ready to step in after being nominated by key advisers as the prime candidate to restore harmony at a club riven by public opposition to Kean and plummeting player morale.

Monday's Lancashire Evening Telegraph, the influential local newspaper, is expected to call for Kean's removal in a front page editorial.

article-2075919-0F35796A00000578-869_233x423.jpg

Fall guy: Steve Kean shows his pain during defeat against West Brom

After a brief spell in charge of Newcastle, it is understood Shearer is interested in taking the reins, despite Blackburn's perilous position near the foot of the Barclays Premier League and the likelihood that he would have only a modest budget in the January transfer window.

As Venky's consider their options, they may well be swayed by Shearer's standing among Ewood Park patrons after he spearheaded Blackburn's title success in 1995.

Kean refused to concede his sacking was inevitable, despite more chants of 'You don't know what you're doing' during Saturday's 2-1 defeat.

'We have a massive game against Bolton on Tuesday, and yes, I do believe I will still be here for that,' Kean said.

'There have always been reassurances from the owners, and I haven't heard anything to the contrary.'

Kean added: 'Because the players don't play well with the ball for one half of one game does not mean the negativity is getting to them.'

Chris Samba's assessment was at odds with Kean's and underlined the task facing Blackburn's next manager in trying to lift morale.

'We are devastated,' said the Blackburn skipper. 'We are so low. As a team, we have not proved we are good enough to stay in this league. It is difficult at the moment, because the mood in the dressing room is down.'

The timing of Kean's departure appears to be the only remaining issue. As Rovers followed their normal procedure of examining matchday feedback from their beleaguered boss and director Simon Hunt, Venky's were attempting to reach an agreement on when he should go.

They have been left in little doubt that Shearer should be appointed sooner rather than later, though former Blackburn manager Mark Hughes and Avram Grant are also in the frame.

I can see them try for Hughes before Shearer, only for Hughes to reject them.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone remember the Mackems insisting that Sewpa Kev was a better striker? (Even though he's getting on, Phillips is still a good, intelligent forward. But better than Shearer?)

They always go on on the smb about rat boy winning the euro golden boot and fail to mention that coley was outscored by some ukranian pub league fucker and it didn't actually exist when shearer scored more.

Cunts