Newcastle owner Mike Ashley shelves plans for statue of Alan Shearer

Scottish Mag

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His whole 'Im not ready for the England Job yet' interview made me laugh the other day. No shit Sherlock!

Tbf he was only answering what he was asked.

The Forest job looks like a nightmare and probably will be one for quite some time to come. We all have experience of how well these DoF/transfer panel bullshit setups work, that is, not at all.

I don't think Shearer will ever be a successful manager. He should probably stick to the media work

based on what though? he only had those ten games for us and he inherited a shit sandwich tbf.

I know Roy Keane is an ex-player but if I was a Forest fan I think I'd rather have Frank Clark back.

Frank Clark got them third from scratch, when 10th should've been their limit. I like Frank Clark but he uses the word pedantic too much.

I know Roy Keane is an ex-player but if I was a Forest fan I think I'd rather have Frank Clark back.

Been out the management game a long time though. Top bloke though, once saw him walking through Eldon Square before a home game and my mate did the whole 'my father knew you' crack which he took quite well considering he's probably heard it a thousand times.

It was more the fact that Keane would be a terrible option than anything else. He's had two cracks at management and failed on both occasions.

Edited by alex

It was a ridiculous decision to part company with Billy Davies; he was doing a great job there.

Would love it if they gave Keane the job. ;)

I never realised they had such a massive opinion of themselves Nottingham Forest like, but they genuinely do. They're no different to Sheffield United or Southampton and never will be. Billy Davies did a class job, but he's a nob and speaks like a Glasgow charva though, "eh amount ay chanseees we hud outwith eh penauwty mass, leaves a wee sooar taste in eh mooth". Massive orangeman too, but every job he's ever had he's had nee money and done fantastically well, no where more so than Motherwell.

Shearer is a crap pundit, and judging by his latest comments that Kean should be given more time, his judgement is off key too. With a proper coaching squad, he may make a success at a lower level, gain experience and develop. But his lack of interest in this route means he will never be a manager, or a good one.

I don't think Shearer will ever be a successful manager. He should probably stick to the media work

based on what though? he only had those ten games for us and he inherited a shit sandwich tbf.

Well to add onto what was previously said great player, crap manager and crap skipper. If you cant help morivate your team on the pitch there's no reason to think he can from the bench or in the dressing room. Dont get me wrong obviously i love the bloke but his head would go down whenever we were getting beat and thats not what you would want from a manager is it?

Shearer is a crap pundit, and judging by his latest comments that Kean should be given more time, his judgement is off key too. With a proper coaching squad, he may make a success at a lower level, gain experience and develop. But his lack of interest in this route means he will never be a manager, or a good one.

To be fair, I think all pundits have that fear of upsetting managers. Either because they're mates, or they're afraid of losing interviews and the like.

The sooner the BBC realise the better talking heads are those that aren't afraid to say their piece, the better. G.Neville seems a decent pundit so far and hasn't been shy in putting his views across.

I watch MoTD almost out of tradition these days. It's nowhere near the best football round-up/highlight program on tv. Goals on Sunday is much better, more natural banter, better guest opinions and a better review of the Saturday's fixtures. I don't understand why the MoTD producers don't make the whole thing less staid. Bring some journalists in, have ex pros, have bloggers even.

They had a few bloggers on Booted on Radio 5 and they wiped the floor with "Chappers" (the ersatz chairman) in terms of passion, knowledge and insight.

I fear I may have gone off on a tangent... ;)

To be fair, I think all pundits have that fear of upsetting managers. Either because they're mates, or they're afraid of losing interviews and the like.

The sooner the BBC realise the better talking heads are those that aren't afraid to say their piece, the better. G.Neville seems a decent pundit so far and hasn't been shy in putting his views across.

I watch MoTD almost out of tradition these days. It's nowhere near the best football round-up/highlight program on tv. Goals on Sunday is much better, more natural banter, better guest opinions and a better review of the Saturday's fixtures. I don't understand why the MoTD producers don't make the whole thing less staid. Bring some journalists in, have ex pros, have bloggers even.

They had a few bloggers on Booted on Radio 5 and they wiped the floor with "Chappers" (the ersatz chairman) in terms of passion, knowledge and insight.

I fear I may have gone off on a tangent... ;)

youre right though

I fear I may have gone off on a tangent... <_<

youre right though

:) Naturally. ;)

Red hot favourite for the Forest job now. Would be a very good start for him this, middle sized Championship club who could probably sustain Premiership football if they came up.

There's a bunch of fairly decent profile people linked with that post due to their connections with the club. O'Neill, Robertson, Keane, Pearce & Clough amongst them. I'm surprised that Shearer is heading the queue instead of them.

Mind you, isn't Pearce expected by some quarters to have a slightly bigger job this time next year?

Nop.

Red hot favourite for the Forest job now. Would be a very good start for him this, middle sized Championship club who could probably sustain Premiership football if they came up.

There's a bunch of fairly decent profile people linked with that post due to their connections with the club. O'Neill, Robertson, Keane, Pearce & Clough amongst them. I'm surprised that Shearer is heading the queue instead of them.

Mind you, isn't Pearce expected by some quarters to have a slightly bigger job this time next year?

Nop.

It'd certainly fit with the "Fabio's replacement will be someone who is already working with the national team" line that the FA spouted when Capello announced he'd be standing down.

Pearce stated a couple of weeks ago that he wasn't ready for the top job.

Aye I know. I shudder at the thought of who they'd consider (from within the setup) instead though.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Shearer statue would be a wonderful gift to people of Newcastle

By Lee Ryder on Nov 14, 11 02:42 PM

I hear that a local sculptor is currently in talks with both Newcastle City Council and Nexus to get an Alan Shearer statue in place on St James' Boulevard.

The life-size figure is understood to be crafted by Tom Maley, who is also working on a Jackie Milburn statue, and the dream is for the statues to be in place in time for when the Olympics come to St James' Park next summer.

To Geordies, Shearer will always be classed as a black and white god on Tyneside and as top scorer in the club's history, his efforts in a black and white shirt were second to none.

His 206 goals were merely the tip of the iceberg for me, and had more players during his 10 years at St James' Park got anywhere near his efforts then we would all have enjoyed more nights in the Champions League.

I always remember one game, Crystal Palace at home in the FA Cup in 1999, when Shearer was taken out by an outrageous tackle near the Gallowgate corner.

One concerned Geordie near me, in a serious voice, yelled: "Howay man, he's all we've got man!"

It was true, at a time when Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit had failed to keep together the Entertainers team, Shearer was carrying not just the hopes of a team, but the hopes of the Geordie public.

How many times could Shearer have quit SJP for a club that was guaranteed trophies year in, year out?

Yet he gave up the dream of personal glory, to try to deliver that long awaited first cup to St James'.

I for one don't buy into theory that Shearer's character is tainted after relegation in 2009.

The Geordie stepped in with just eight games left and picked up a team that contained several members who could not accept the responsibility of a relegation battle that they themselves had dug themselves into.

Crazy decisions by the United board before Shearer was appointed made it an impossible job, such as to bring in the unfit and ill-prepared Joe Kinnear while the Kevin Keegan situation before it is a painful story that speaks for itself.

Therefore, Shearer was always fighting a losing battle.

In my opinion he did not get a fair crack of the whip.

Sources close to the dressing room told me at the time that several senior members (who have now left the club) of the Newcastle team, a squad that was heavily pampered, did not buy into some of his ideas.

And by the time they had decided to listen to the words of the manager, it was too late.

Unlucky to lose 1-0 to Fulham at home, before that toothless display at Aston Villa, Newcastle were relegated and went down at Villa Park without a fight.

Shearer was never to be seen in the dugout again and is highly unlikely to under the current regime.

Now is not the time to talk about Shearer as manager, with Alan Pardew, praised in sporting fashion by Big Al recently, doing a wonderful job.

Shearer is his own man and still young enough to be a top manager in the game.

However, for me Shearer the player has yet to be matched since he hung up his boots and the number 9 shirt he once donned in true Geordie style could go on for another 10 years yet before somebody to even get near his achievements wears it.

Some day Shearer will get the chance he deserves to manage his beloved Newcastle, for now, a tribute such as a statue would be a gesture from the City Council that is long, long overdue.