Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just think he's finally had enough, he's realised that there's really nothing for him at Newcastle but limitations and grief from the fans. The idea that Palace is a step down is no longer really true, given the ceiling on any sort of ambition at Newcastle.

So the fact that he can get paid more, live in London, move away from the completely broken relationship that he has with the fans and probably the owner, must seem pretty attractive. It's the first time he can have felt in control of his destiny for ages. I bet he feels like a new man. None of which is to say that he didn't deserve the position he currently finds himself in at NUFC.

hmm just seems odd that a man so convinced of his own self worth would bow to pressure like that. And he himself said that Palace was a step down.....and The King dont step down baybeee

hmm just seems odd that a man so convinced of his own self worth would bow to pressure like that. And he himself said that Palace was a step down.....and The King dont step down baybeee

He would to double his wages imo. Even a king has his price.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/30/alan-pardew-noisy-distraction-newcastle-real-issues-mike-ashley?CMP=share_btn_tw

Alan Pardew was merely a noisy distraction from Newcastle’s real issues

Despite improved results, the manager’s willingness to be the focus for dissent proved more useful to Mike Ashley than his status as a River Island Tony Pulis

Barney Ronay

Tuesday 30 December 2014 11.12 GMT

Alan Pardew’s time at Newcastle always looked as though it might end messily. Which just goes to show how wrong you can be because in the event Pardew’s (imminent) departure has been an oddly frictionless business, a very grown up, strangely sexless public divorce. Pardew out, they said. Well, he’s going now, not sacked, but off on his own terms. At the end of which everybody concerned seems, on the face of it, to have cause to be jarringly almost-happy.

The anti-Pardew rump among Newcastle’s fans can congratulate itself on having helped usher off a manager who was disproportionately but still undeniably unpopular. Crystal Palace have what looks a good appointment in a fractured season. Pardew himself leaves Newcastle with a profile reconditioned: a slightly wonky appointment four years ago, he has now been elevated to a spot among the elite mid-rangers of the Premier League, an angrier Bruce, a less convincing Allardyce, a River Island Tony Pulis. Meanwhile Mike Ashley has reinforced his well-earned reputation for expertise in flogging off sporting goods you’re not sure you really want at a phoney knock-down price. Box fresh Pardew: recommended retail price £6m. Yours not for £4m, or £3m, but – and I’m robbing myself here – just two million pounds!

Beyond this nothing about the Pardew era (success, stagnation: nobody really knows for sure) makes much sense. Just as the details of this strangely acrimonious non-sacking don’t follow any of the familiar patterns. None of the usual rap sheet elements are there. The team are doing well enough. The dressing room is united. Signings have been good (and indeed largely out of Pardew’s hands). There is no obviously better contender lurking in the wings.

From a distance it feels, in between the headlines, like a drama with a hole in it. There is nothing to get your teeth into beyond the only really tangible fact here is Pardew’s very obvious unpopularity with Newcastle’s fans. And even this is unprecedentedly personal, a function of that oddly jarring presence, the touchline peacocking, the grating amour-propre, the willingness to comport himself like a kind of north-east Mourinho while in reality acting as a tame – and it must be said very effective – place-man for his chairman’s vision of mid-range, profitable stasis.

With this in mind a common response in the wider footballing world has been a sigh of weary foreboding. Be careful what you wish for, Geordie malcontents. A Pardew in the hand is better than an ill-fated Fabricio Coloccini in the bush. There is even a slightly depressing case to be made that Pardew was, though a perfect storm of niche motivational skills and professional neediness, exactly the right man in the right place to keep this particular ship on its even-keeled course.

And yet even this is a point of confusion. Just as success is increasingly difficult to quantify in a sport so brutally stratified by money (are Newcastle succeeding? Are Arsenal? Are Manchester City? Nobody knows) so Pardew’s success or failure at Newcastle is unlikely to become any clearer with the passing of time. Under Coloccini or Peter Beardsley, or Steve Howey or Mirandinha, a Pardew-less Newcastle may yet end up struggling. But they might have ended up struggling anyway, just as they did while winning only six of 30 matches played between the end of December last year and mid-October this.

What seems more likely, and more bizarre in its own way, is that Pardew has instead been neither particularly good nor particularly bad, neither a semi-concealed disaster nor a count-your-blessings success. That he has instead been more or less irrelevant, at best a handy organiser and conveniently noisy distraction from the real operation at hand.

The notable successes of the last four years are clear enough: the excellent transfer policy that has seen Newcastle sell their best players for a profit while keeping the plates spinning on the pitch; the Alanus mirabilis of 2011-12 when a depleted squad finished fifth in the Premier League; and at year’s end a consistent profit on the balance sheet.

There is an argument Pardew had little to do with the first and last of these. The chief scout remains in place. The commercial team is unchanged. The man who nails up the Sports Direct billboards is still on the payroll. In the middle of which the manager looks no more than a willing and capable motivator in an ever-changing dressing room, plus a very useful lightning rod for dissent that might otherwise have been directed towards more sensitive targets.

The most convincing argument for change has always been the suggestion that all the fans really want – hang the league position – is a more attacking, ambitious style of football. But even this seems oddly detached from reality. Ashley isn’t interested in risk-taking or cavalier football and will ensure above all that the current profitable stasis is maintained. Indeed from this angle the Pardew-bile, the yearning for something to stir the blood, looks like an expression of a more profound dissatisfaction with the way Newcastle, and indeed football itself, is now headed.

The real sense of ennui here is simply the boredom of diminished possibilities. This is a club that has existed in a state of gloriously thwarted ambition for the last 60 years. But which is now in the grip of a business model designed not with glory or even particularly entertainment in mind. Instead Ashley’s sights will remain set on staying in the top 10, selling profitably and sitting on the club like a London property tycoon watching the TV rights market rise around him, all the while providing a global billboard for the world’s most bizarrely overexposed cut-price tracksuit shop.

It is always tempting to paint Ashley as a kind of corporate homunculus, draining the city’s historic passions to service his interests elsewhere. But like the notion of Pardew as a grand managerial villain finally ousted, it is a construct that falls to pieces under any serious scrutiny. Instead Ashley is a shrewd and timely operator who has bent Newcastle United to fit the restricted horizons of the new footballing world. Seven years ago the club was in hock at every level and making unsustainable losses. Ashley has invested (with loans) close to £300m and despite some disappointing commercial revenues transformed the club into a profitable concern.

It is a considerable achievement, albeit one in which successive managerial place-men have had relatively little input, and in which the desire of the fans to be transported, seduced with dreams of something larger, has been essentially ignored. Just look at some of the names punted about as permanent appointments: Jürgen Klopp, Frank de Boer, Rafa Benítez, rapaciously ambitious and demanding managers, Ashley kryptonite every single one of them. The disjunct between supporter expectation and the limits of the role has never been clearer.

What does seem certain is that the feeling of broader alienation is unlikely to be dissipated by Pardew’s departure and that for now it is unrealistic to expect anything more than different shades of Alan in the dugout. And beyond this that the sense of very vocal alienation at Newcastle and beyond – including at least one club that is currently in the last 16 of the Champions League – will remain a persistent background music.

I'm absolutely delighted, but I'm sure it will be brief. We beat Chelsea 2-0 last season (in my view our best most fulfilling show in the last decade given how we deserved it against world class players), you'd think aye Alan give yourself a pat on the back, but no his main words were praising what a brilliant bloke Ashley was. We were 5th top and four weeks later his boss sells our best player with not a hint of a replacement, and we have relegation form for the rest of the season.

Pardew isn't the worst manager our club have ever had by a long stretch, but his disgusting arselicking of his scum like employer was enough for me to want him away when we were doing OK even. As for this year, losing double the games we've won, well for me this is a temporarily gratifying moment, certainly until some cunt like Alan Curbishley gets it.

Aye, he'll also probably have a much greater say in the transfer dealings and strut around the place like the King that he is rather than a bit of a hollow one that he was up here. The way results were going it was only a matter of time before Ashley chucked him anyway, I reckon one more flirt with relegation and he'd have been out the door and he probably knew it.

As well as the fact he gets to move back home/rake in more money/get away from the unabating baying for his blood, maybe his ego really is that gigantic that he thinks he can go in and be their saviour. Save them from relegation and be idolised for all eternity by the South Norwood masses. All hail the King!

I'm happy to drive him there too. (I don't drive but I'll have a go in this case..)

He will relegate them in short order. They have no stand out players - the type that have saved his skin time and time again. No Ba, Cisse, Hatem or Remy who can make something out of nothing and proved they could flourish on the scraps Pards longball defensive set-ups provided. Bolasie and Zaha don't have enough about them and the goals will dry up within weeks. I can see Bolasie getting Hateme'd and his scatty attacking confidence slowly drain over the weeks.

Pards will scour their prozone data and start with his anti-football antics of out of postion players with the wrong instructions and nearly everybody with over weighted defensive duties. The Palace of the gung-ho have a go will become a distant memory and slowly a desert will engulf the whole of South London and their will be talk of oasis and signs in the sky...This is the endgame for Pardew. This is his reckoning. Can't wait. :)

Aye, the state of the media man. The prick's gotten way more than he ever deserved in managing this club for as long as he has.

Its got to do with this idea the mainstream media has in their heads about us being a bunch of ungrateful overexpectant twats who think the club should be challenging for the title every year. I think most people would be reasonably happy if we finished 8th but had someone at the helm who'd at least have a bit of respect for the club and what it means to the fans. Aye we'd still want trophies (why shouldnt we?), but we'd be satisfied.

Still be interested to know his points gained per pound spent.

I realise that's a lot to do with Carr unearthing bargains btw but still, we assume that we've got a team that should be doing better but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

We'll soon find out anyway!

He's a spawny cunt Pardew. I look forward to seeing his brand of 'football' played elsewhere. Brighton and Crystal Palace absolutely hate each other so I'll get involved when they come down (both senses).

Seven and a half minutes in.......Genuinely amazed at an 'outsider' putting a cockney gobshite right and sticking up for us. Cockney gobshite starts off.

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1419933600#

(Click on the 10.30-11.00 link when you get to the page or you'll have to listen to half an hour of shite) :good:

Still be interested to know his points gained per pound spent.

I realise that's a lot to do with Carr unearthing bargains btw but still, we assume that we've got a team that should be doing better but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.

We'll soon find out anyway!

Am not sure if we have either. Were ninth but I think Sissoko Is off next month. But if Fatem turns up at training next week and hasn't overdone the festive dates...

It always makes me fucking laugh the opinions of other fans of our support, especially from certain clubs. Who would be happy aiming for mid-table mediocrity without any challenge for any silverware? Constantly selling our best players to make a profit? Buying players by chance on the cheap hoping for a return? Constant upheaval at the club, no real investment in the team to push the club further? Especially when Chelsea fans perk up with shit considering they were a London backwater club before Roman's gravy train rolled into town. Newcastle fans know our history, know where we stand as a club and know where we want to go. No delusion, no messing about. We want to see progression, investment and ambition from the owners and management at the club, what is the point otherwise? Fuck me, that is the problem with modern day football fans, most are happy just to pay their money as an excuse to get away from their lass on a Saturday afternoon, no ambition to see the club move forward.

It always makes me fucking laugh the opinions of other fans of our support, especially from certain clubs. Who would be happy aiming for mid-table mediocrity without any challenge for any silverware? Constantly selling our best players to make a profit? Buying players by chance on the cheap hoping for a return? Constant upheaval at the club, no real investment in the team to push the club further? Especially when Chelsea fans perk up with shit considering they were a London backwater club before Roman's gravy train rolled into town. Newcastle fans know our history, know where we stand as a club and know where we want to go. No delusion, no messing about. We want to see progression, investment and ambition from the owners and management at the club, what is the point otherwise? Fuck me, that is the problem with modern day football fans, most are happy just to pay their money as an excuse to get away from their lass on a Saturday afternoon, no ambition to see the club move forward.

Modern day fans need to just do as they're told.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-united-fans-fury-letter-8361431?

Fan claims stewards warned they would be ejected if they stood up more than twice during last Sunday's game against Everton.

Newcastle United fans in a section of the Gallowgate End were left hopping mad after they were told to stay in their seats.
The note, left for supporters during the game against Everton last Sunday, said fans were blocking the view of TV cameras when they stood to cheer on their team.
And it “kindly requested” they stay seated - or face possible ejection from the ground.
One of the supporters affected was long standing season ticket Mike Snowdon.
Mike, 54, a freelance writer from Forest Hall, Newcastle, said: “I was absolutely infuriated by it.
“It looked to me that there were a few more stewards in the area for the game as I believe they knew it was going to be antagonistic.”
He claimed: “When we spoke to the stewards we were basically told if you stood up more than twice you would be ejected.”
The letter said: “Dear supporter. Following complaints from broadcasters that fans are standing and obstructing the view of television cameras:- It is kindly requested that you remain seated during the match.”
It was signed by Steve Storey, the club’s Safety Officer and left on the seat for the arrival of fans.
Mike added: “It beggars belief that my club could think this was a sensible letter.
“I am absolutely seething that when I have followed the club through thick and thin that this is the way they treat us.”
And when Jack Colback netted the third goal to beat Everton, Mike said he spoke to the steward to see if they would be ejecting all those who leapt to their feet to celebrate for a third time. He said: “They let it go.”
Mike added: “You go to a football game to enjoy it and support your team.
“It’s just shows the disconnect between the club and its customers in treating them so shabbily.”
A Newcastle United spokesperson said: “We completely understand that supporters want to be out of their seats at exciting moments and we were delighted to see them celebrating three goals during the match with Everton.
“In this case, cameras had previously been blocked completely for almost 90 minutes as a result of persistent standing so we kindly asked a very small number of supporters to bear this in mind in line with our ground regulations.
“We would like to thank them for their cooperation.”

JS53609669.jpg

No expense spared with the leaflet. :lol: