Cheick Tiote

To who...? Surely it'd be better promoted against teams who actually bring in a decent amount of fans...?

:dunno: raises our brand awareness over the pond. We might have asked bigger clubs, but I can't imagine Ashley would fund an expensive trip to the states if there wasn't something in it for Sports Direct.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I don't understand, it offers no benefit from a training perspective especially as one of the sides is a fucking reserve team for an MLS team. The fans back home can't attend or really watch as games will be at 2am and while Man Utd, Madrid etc are playing each other soon which will be a draw we're playing utter no marks in Milwaukee at a baseball ground so I don't see how that creates/increases any sort of brand recognition.

Bet it works out as cheap.

• 5 months later...

Cheick Tiote has been put up for sale by Newcastle United according to reports this morning.

Sky Sports say that club sources have informed them that the Ivory Coast midfielder will be ‘allowed to leave’ this month.

(Sky Sports have been tipped off by the club first with both Saivet and Shelvey signing as they look once again to be the preferred medium of communcation, so you can only presume this is close to the mark).

Cheick Tiote had a half decent game against Manchester United last night and was certainly more effective than Jack Colback, who was poor. However, Tiote looked knackered for the last half hour but McClaren had little choice but to keep him on until the last few minutes, due to no viable options on the bench.

With Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet both arriving, the vast majority of supporters have already assumed that the club would try to offload Cheick Tiote to balance the books a little.

As one of the biggest wage earners at the club and turning 30 in the summer with just one year remaining on his contract, this is surely the last chance for Mike Ashley to get any sort of decent fee for the player.

Yesterday morning, Newcastle were claimed to be considering an £8million offer from Shanghai Greenland Shenhua, the Chinese club already have former Newcastle striker Demba Ba on their books, with another high profile player being Tim Cahill, once of Everton.

Talks of a potential £8m fee are surely vastly inflated even in this current market and Ashley will surely settle for something around half that figure for a player who has had increasing problems with injury and form.

Back in the day his partnership with Yohan Cabaye was one of the best in the Premier League but it definitely now looks time to move on.

Steve McClaren was put on the spot after the match last night and asked whether the 3-3 draw with Manchester United had been Cheick Tiote’s last match for Newcastle, to which he replied:

“We are not too sure about that…and as I said before, when something happens we’ll announce it and let you know.

“But I do think he has been very very good the last two or three games.”

Aye I thought he was good last night. I still panic a little when he's taking a lot of the time on the ball in our own third but overall he looked liked the player he was in 11/12. I don't really want to let him go but I can see why we are letting him. At least, if he does go, he's left on a high note.

Aye he had a canny game, shame he showed he can still play well when he seems to have one foot on the plane. Should be playing over one of Colback or Anita, I know he picks up yellows but Colback is almost as prone to picking them up and I think Tiote offers more.

I think you'd have to question the mentality of anyone his age moving to a club in China. We're best off rid.

There's a lot of African players willing to just get the best deal they can financially. Being stereotypical but many have a lot of siblings and come from poor backgrounds so it's understandable. After being part of, and then watching us destroy the side that finished fifth and bring in the shite that they have as well. Factor in the feeling of playing for a club with such a hostile relationship with it's fans and I don't blame anybody for taking on a new challenge, even in China.

Aye he must think he has missed his chance to move to a higher level team after not getting a move following the 5th place season. A shame as I still think he's better than Anita and Colback, still suppose it doesn't matter too much as McClaren clearly sees him below them two shitters in the pecking order so now he'd be 5th choice.

I hope the money is re-invested in a left back, it's not just the defensive frailty that Dummett costs us but a fair amount of potential attacking moves due to his tendency to just howk it up field if it comes to him or run into dead ends.

Glad he's gone tbh, but again we are selling without replacing (we need to get Colback out of the first team until he improves / is coached). I know jonjo might be seen as a replacement for Tiote, but I'm not convinced - he's more a first XI replacement for either Anita or Colback ??

Edited by scoobos

Was too good to be true getting £8 million for him, begs the question what sort of wages he's after if this mob are willing to part with that amount of money for him. You'd think they'd be able to stump up wages too...