Newcastle v Liverpool

Gene_Clark

Guest CabayeAye

i reckon pardew will pack the midfield, he knows the CB pairing is going to be dodgy so i wouldnt be surprised to see no start for HBA

He can't possibly drop Ben Arfa after last week can he? West Brom was by far and away our best performance in a long time, it looked like we'd found a system that worked. I take your point about the CB pairing and needing to crowd out the midfield a bit more but Tiote is back.

I really hope Pardew doesn't revert back to the the hopeless 442 hoofball that was so painfully ineffective under the false pretense that he is protecting the CBs. Liverpool will have a field day down our right flank if he does that whilst Ba and Cisse will get isolated again by the massive gap between midfield and attack.

Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can see that 433 with HBA is the way forward, especially against a poor Liverpool side at home.

Then again, Pardew is fucking terrible, so I won't be surprised if I see a tame 442 surrendering to a shit team at home. Again.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i reckon pardew will pack the midfield, he knows the CB pairing is going to be dodgy so i wouldnt be surprised to see no start for HBA

He can't possibly drop Ben Arfa after last week can he? West Brom was by far and away our best performance in a long time, it looked like we'd found a system that worked. I take your point about the CB pairing and needing to crowd out the midfield a bit more but Tiote is back.

I really hope Pardew doesn't revert back to the the hopeless 442 hoofball that was so painfully ineffective under the false pretense that he is protecting the CBs. Liverpool will have a field day down our right flank if he does that whilst Ba and Cisse will get isolated again by the massive gap between midfield and attack.

Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can see that 433 with HBA is the way forward, especially against a poor Liverpool side at home.

Then again, Pardew is fucking terrible, so I won't be surprised if I see a tame 442 surrendering to a shit team at home. Again.

:lol:

No surprise, but Lawro's a dick

Newcastle v Liverpool (1330 BST)

_59314065_new_v_liv_100.gif

If you took the Carling Cup out of Liverpool's results in 2012, then they are very average to say the least.

Their league form has been extremely poor and in the last three games, defensively, they have not been very good. They are clearly missing Daniel Agger's presence at the back.

Generally, the Reds create lots of chances whoever they are playing. That is still the case, apart from in last week's defeat by Wigan, but I think they will probably go to Newcastle and play a little bit tighter than usual because they need to stop the rot.

Newcastle looked a very good side in their win at West Brom. They picked the Baggies off easily and I was very impressed.

In the summer, the Magpies will be able to look back at this season with some satisfaction, but I'm not sure Liverpool can do the same.

One of the problems for the Reds lies with some of their signings in the last 18 months. Has Jose Enrique improved them? Yes. Have Craig Bellamy and Luis Suarez? Of course they have.

But have Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam done the same? I would say that, at the moment, probably not.

At the end of the season you can evaluate what your players have done for you over the course of the campaign. Who has had a good season, and who hasn't.

Downing did well in the Carling Cup final but that was against a Championship team and he is yet to score a Premier League goal for Liverpool, which I find amazing.

In terms of goals, players like him, Adam (two league goals) and Henderson (one) should be chipping in to compliment Luis Suarez and Craig Bellamy's output and, along with Carroll (three), I think they should have 30 league goals between them by now.

Those goals would make a massive difference. The total for me from those sort of players in a good team is 30.

Even when you count Steven Gerrard [five] and Dirk Kuyt [two], they don't make it halfway to that amount, which is quite conservative. The midfield players should have five each, and Carroll should be on at least 10. Therein lies the story of Liverpool's season.

They have started to get more men forward since Jay Spearing has come in, allowing Steven Gerrard to join the attack but as can be seen from their goal tallies, Henderson and Downing just don't get into the box. It is not like those two are missing loads of chances every week.

Maybe the best thing Liverpool can do is give former Newcastle striker Andy Carroll a start against his old club.

Carroll has only started 21 of Liverpool's games this season but, when he has done, they have a 62% win percentage compared to a 38% win percentage without him.

Prediction: 1-1

... Newcastle are good blah blah Liverpool have been poor, blah blah, can't score goals, conceding, blah blah... how do I think it'll got? well Liverpool aren't going to lose, are they?/Lawro

Oh and Phil Tufnell thinks we'll win 2-1

Edited by The Fish

Merson's forecast:

Liverpoolspacer.gif are just a bag of revels at the moment - you just don't know how they're going to play and what result they are going to get. In the cups they have been outstanding and then they go and lose at home to Wigan.

I was so impressed with Newcastle in the first-half against West Brom. I thought they were absolutely outstanding, as good an away performance as there has been in the Premier League this season.

But with Liverpool you just don't know - they could turn up and beat them easily.

I had Newcastle down as a bottom-half team this year, I thought they'd be average at best but they have been brilliant.

It's so hard to predict Liverpool. They could go to Newcastle and win easily, and no-one would be that surprised.

They've had some absolute classics and this is one of those games when I could give one score and it could easily go the other way, no-one would blink an eye. Both teams can just go out and play football, I don't think it will be a cagey game, it should be a very entertaining match.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-2

Bellamy's not in their provisional. I think we'll start the same way we did against West Brom but with Santon at LB and Tiote in for Guthrie which, to me, isn't a bad couple of changes to make at all. Our front three plays like they did against WBA, we take this. But, exactly the sort of game we lose.

We usually go 442 at home but I'd prefer us to stick to last weeks 433. I expect him to play Bellamy to get at our back 4. That said, if they play Gerrard then he can put good balls in for AC who could be trouble.

Be some goals in this I reckon. They are poor at the back and if we click like we did last week should make for a canny game.

If we do go 433 I'd swap Guthrie for Tiote and put Raylor at LB, Santon on bench.

Haven't a clue about this one but I do know I'm getting liquored-up for it . Expecting a good game with plenty of potential scorers about .

At West Brom we seemed to play with a lot more freedom of late like Big Pards had set them out to 'express themselves' .

Whether that continues against what I'd deem a more potent opposition I'm not so sure, but with us being at home and with the confidence gained last week - here's hoping .

Got to say I don't fancy us at all, don't know if it'll be Colo's absence, an early kick off, Liverpool trying to make a point and upping their game, Bellamy or Carroll scoring, I just don't know. Goes without saying I hope we show SKY, ( who I expect to go into full-on LFC arselicking mode should they beat us), that we are the better side and send them packing. At work again though and we don't seem to do so bad when this happens, Arsenal away 1-0, Man Utd 3-0, Boro away 3-1 and 4-1, and last week at WBA spring to mind.

We usually go 442 at home but I'd prefer us to stick to last weeks 433. I expect him to play Bellamy to get at our back 4. That said, if they play Gerrard then he can put good balls in for AC who could be trouble.

Be some goals in this I reckon. They are poor at the back and if we click like we did last week should make for a canny game.

If we do go 433 I'd swap Guthrie for Tiote and put Raylor at LB, Santon on bench.

I'd rather santon than Taylor, hes quicker but still right footed up against downing who'll want to cut inside

If Carragher plays I think we'll win. But it looks like Agger will be back according to the papers.Thing is, him and Skrtl are a good partnership but not top quality and if Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa click like they did last week then theyll have to go some to beat us. I think someone has already said that outside of the mackem games this season that this has turned out to be our biggest game, season defining if you like. I'd agree with that, fuckin desperate for us to win it. Cant make it up either so its a pub stuffed with plastic scousers, deep joy....

Edited by PaddockLad

We'll win 3-0.

I don't have any great explanation as to why we will, we just will.

Like I've probably already said, some of you lot predict us to lose every single match we play so I think I'l counteract that constant pessimism with some unqualified optimism.

We should be looking to win this one in midfield, I presume Liverpool will partner Gerrard and Spearing in midfield and if that's the case we should be all over them in that area, closing down quickly and using the extra man to our advantage (if we stick with 4-3-3)

Looking forward to Ben Arfa vs Enrique.

Pardew on Tiotes return after injury.... :lol:

“He is the lion of our team,” said Pardew of the latter. “Like any lion who's been down in the dumps he came back and let everyone know he’s back, let out a few roars, had a couple of scuffles. Not everyone was pleased to see him back but he managed not to kill anyone.”

:lol:

Guest CabayeAye

Our defense is woeful, but so is theirs. This game will be won in midfield. Hopefully Ben Afra will step up.

Never mind stepping up, if he plays just as well as he did ladt week, he could tear any team apart.