Newcastle v Liverpool

Gene_Clark

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks man, you can't be sent off just for being aggressive. If it happened to one of our lot you'd be in a rage.

Reina's headbutt, although weak as piss, was a straight red every day of the week with any referee. There's no two ways about it. Any sort of violent conduct like that will see an early shower.

Honestly I thought it was a handball from Simpson off the line. was lucky that he was close to the post as that would have blocked the linesman's view and Carroll and Williamson would have likely been obscuring the ref's view.

A yellow for Perch was also the right decision, it was nothing to do with him going down and ebverything to do with his silly trip on Reina. I though Perch was kind of lucky to stay on the pitch after he grabbed someone's shirt in the last 5-10 minutes. Technically that was a yellow but it wasn't given. Perchy really went up in my estimations yesterday, he's playing with some real confidence and the timing on his slide tackles is spot on. More than happy to eat my words based on the way that he's playing at the moment. He surprising more than a few.

Just back in and really could not be happier with the result.

Missed pretty much all of the 'controversies' as a result of being at the opposite corner of st james'.

541240_10151469674100711_573150710_23884619_1023092294_n.jpg

Quick thoughts on the match from the day.

Ben arfa was still as terrorising as ever against the defence (though not quite as effective as against brom) could tell that they just didn't know how to handle him, with full backs and centre backs pointing at eachother as he ran at them before eventually cutting into the middle, and his cross leading to the first goal was wonderful.

I was seriously worried about the defensive situation pre-game, however besides a couple of scrappy clearances, and one instance when perch had the ball bounce and decided to do a couple of spins before realising it had appeared behind him they were solid.

Liverpools only real threat came from looping the ball and occasionally having Carroll go up for it (in which case Williamson usually had him covered) and suarez trying to race in beyond the defence which was rarely worth his effort.

Perch's block on their only real effort in the second half was amazing, and the way williamson was actually a threat in their end of the pitch was great to see.

Though their sloppy passing really helped us out in the midfield, there was some great determination shown by the lads, chasing down balls and hounding passes (nicking the ball after they'd slid in to keep it going out to touch for example)

Despite getting the main rub of the green we definitely deserved to win this match, and their entire afternoon was pretty much summed up late in the 2nd half where gerrard appeared for the first time in the game on the edge of our area, and put a high ball across into the area for suarez - who ducked out the way of it allowing it to go for a clearance. The look of frustration and pain as he turned in disgust and swore will provide a grin on my face for the rest of the night!

And the fans were great, outstanding in volume and support! i actually almost began to feel sorry for the traitorous pair by the end of the game, and the one occasion the dipper fans mustered any kind of courage to risk a song, they were immediately drowned out by call and response chants alternating between the fans at the gallowgate end, and at the opposite end of the pitch - twinned with the match performance it was just a fucking awesome atmosphere to be in.

Anyway, still hanging out my arse and rambling now, so time to go sleep and try to slip into the mrs (who after seeing cabaye in real life, now keeps daydreaming, tart!)

Are Liverpool the ugliest team in the league? Their CBs look like East European convicts, Flanagan looks like an experiment gone wrong

They frightened me ... watched the game from behind the settee

And the fans were great, outstanding in volume and support! i actually almost began to feel sorry for the traitorous pair by the end of the game, and the one occasion the dipper fans mustered any kind of courage to risk a song, they were immediately drowned out by call and response chants alternating between the fans at the gallowgate end, and at the opposite end of the pitch - twinned with the match performance it was just a fucking awesome atmosphere to be in.

The atmosphere translated to the TV viewing experience as well, but damn it must have been a great game to be at.

The atmosphere translated to the TV viewing experience as well, but damn it must have been a great game to be at.

Aye it was mate, voice is still raw as a dogs arse! haha!

Specially towards the end of the 2nd half there was a good 5 minute period where we just continually were switching the play between the back 4 and wingers, every pass (semi jokingly and more to piss off the dippers i'd guess) greeted with a boom ole! taking the piss indeed!

And i forgot one more thing, Perch's fucking slide tackles, bloke absolutely creamed one of theirs at the far end of the pitch during the first half, nearly took his damn legs off! I swear every game he just wins over more and more fans!

Edited by ToonMarshy

From the Independent:

£35m striker finds only humiliation on homecoming

Newcastle United 2 Liverpool 0

Suggested Topics

There was an attempt yesterday afternoon, as the enormity of Liverpool's capitulation was still sinking in, to rebolt the doors and hammer wood over the smashed windows.

But by then it was too late. By the time Kenny Dalglish tried to understate the size of the disaster which unfolded at St James' Park in front of the nation, intruders were in and the only question now is quite where Liverpool move on from here?

There are seminal moments in the history of a football club. Andy Carroll's 79th-minute substitution and the tirade he aimed at his own bench as a result will become one, either as an admission that Liverpool erred horrendously in the £35m acquisition of the player 15 months ago, or that the manager who made the decision is no longer equipped to get the best out of the near £120m the Fenway Sports Group have so far given him to rebuild one of England's great institutions.

They did not feel like one yesterday, and certainly they did not look or act like one when Phil Dowd, the fourth official, informed a baying Tyneside crowd that the Liverpool No 9, their former No 9, was being taken off. It felt cruel because there have been miserable afternoons for Carroll since he flew away from the Newcastle training ground in owner Mike Ashley's helicopter, but nothing to compare with what he went through for 79 tortuous minutes yesterday. Those 15 months were encapsulated in that period of time.

His first homecoming did not start well; in fact it began awfully and it never got any better. He touched the ball after 10 seconds and was jeered. After 25 seconds some Newcastle fans verbally abused him. After 88 seconds he lost possession with an ambitious chip. And then in the ninth minute, it all simply became too much for him.

It will be forgotten that Carroll beat Mike Williamson in the air and went past James Perch as if he were still wearing black and white. Scientists have proven that time does not really stand still at those life-defining moments, but here it felt like it did.

Carroll, one on one, had only to go round goalkeeper Tim Krul to bury so much personal misery and put the ball into an empty goal to silence the abusers. And he did put the ball past the Dutchman, but at that point crashed to the ground, and every Newcastle supporter leapt in the air. Krul gesticulated furiously that it had been a dive, and as Martin Atkinson flashed a yellow card for that exact offence, Carroll's career must have flashed before his eyes. He would not accept that he had dived, furiously arguing with the the Newcastle bench moments after launching a tirade at Alan Pardew, his former manager.

Then, with 11 minutes remaining, as Carroll's number was up and he walked off, came more abuse directed at his own dugout, who genuinely looked taken aback by the hostility. Among those words appeared to be something along the lines of "effin, joke this", and they are phrases you simply cannot direct at your boss, wherever you work.

Carroll was not done, storming down the tunnel without acknowledgment for Dalglish, the manager who paid all that money for him what feels like such a long time ago.

By then Liverpool trailed by two goals, the old king had been replaced by a new one, Papiss Cissé, and watching all this high in the stands sat Ashley and Derek Llambias, the men who oversaw the sale of a developing Geordie icon, and took flak for the decision.

They were smiling a lot yesterday, especially after the second, game-clinching goal scored by the new No 9, Cissé, the one Llambias and Ashley spent £9m on in January, almost a quarter of the Carroll fee for a player whose two goals yesterday took his tally to seven from seven starts. The comparison is cutting. Carroll has five from 21.

Perhaps there is an explanation as to why Carroll fell over/dived/exploded: the 23-year-old has too much on his shoulders. He got angrier as the afternoon went on, and his frustration could be understood in part as a result of events in the opening 18 minutes. In that period, aside from his own indiscretion, Liverpool hit the crossbar with a Craig Bellamy deflected cross-cum-shot and had a clear penalty turned down when Williamson headed towards his own goal and his team-mate, Danny Simpson, used an arm to stop the ball on the line.

But then came the collapse, and then came the home heroics. with Williamson and the excellent Perch standing strong at the heart of a makeshift defence, Cheick Tioté rampaging around midfield, Hatem Ben Arfa showing yet more glimpses of genuine, world-class talent, and Cissé blending work-rate and desire with his natural, goalscoring instinct, a match-winning No 9, the antithesis of the big man in red.

After 19 minutes, Ben Arfa skipped past Jay Spearing and Jonjo Shelvey and crossed, cleverly, to the far post, where Cissé beat the offside trap of Martin Skrtel and headed deep past Pepe Reina. Williamson had headed against the Liverpool post before Cissé struck again, on the hour, this time looking offside but finding the quickness of foot to round Reina and score after more good work from Ben Arfa and Demba Ba.

Newcastle moved 11 points clear of Liverpool with this victory, but still there was more misery to come for the visitors, even after Carroll had stomped off. That it could get worse caused genuine shock. Liverpool were already beaten, when Reina lost his head, reacting to a late challenge from Perch by putting his head towards the Newcastle player. Contact was debatable but intent was unquestionable, as was the red card. Reina waved down the tunnel as he went off – giving his goalkeeping shirt to the also much-abused Jose Enrique as Liverpool had already made three substitutions – and pointed at Perch, offering him the chance, it seemed, to meet after the game..

That did not happen, but it spoke volumes for Liverpool's misplaced aggression. Defeat means this is the worst run – six defeats in their last seven league games – the club has been on since the 1953-54 season. Even Newcastle have won a domestic trophy since then for goodness sake.

Match facts

Newcastle: KRUL 7/10, SIMPSON 7, WILLIAMSON 8, PERCH 8, GUTIERREZ 7, BEN ARFA 7, GUTHRIE 7, CABAYE 7, TIOTE 7, BA 7, CISSE 8

Liverpool: REINA 4, ENRIQUE 6, CARRAGHER 6, SKRTEL 5, FLANAGAN 5, SHELVEY 5, SPEARING 6, GERRARD 6, BELLAMY 6, CARROLL 6, SUAREZ 5

Scorer. Newcastle: Cissé 19, 60

Substitutes: Newcastle Gosling 5 (Guthrie, 65), Shola Ameobi (Cissé, 74), Santon (Ben Arfa, 90). Liverpool Downing (Shelvey, 75), Kuyt (Carroll, 79), Henderson (Bellamy, 79).

Booked: Newcastle Perch, Tioté, Cissé. Liverpool Flanagan, Shelvey, Carroll. Sent off: Liverpool Reina (82).

Man of the match Cissé. Match rating 7/10.

Possession: Newcastle 53% Liverpool 47%.

Attempts on target: Newcastle 7 Liverpool 6.

Referee M Atkinson (W Yorkshire). Attendance 52,363.

then came the home heroics. with Williamson and the excellent Perch standing strong at the heart of a makeshift defence, Cheick Tioté rampaging around midfield, Hatem Ben Arfa showing yet more glimpses of genuine, world-class talent, and Cissé blending work-rate and desire with his natural, goalscoring instinct, a match-winning No 9, the antithesis of the big man in red.

I'm getting emotional reading that. It's spot on.

So much to enjoy about yesterday, you don't know where to start! It's good to see that Liverpool are taking our crown as the biggest team to laugh at in the PL. Alas, our performance is being played down/virtually ignored due to it being all about Liverpool, which is a shame.

What a kick in the balls for Enrique.

His first game back at our place and he has Ben Arfa taking the piss out of him for most of the game then ends up in goals :lol:

If only he'd had to pick the ball out of the net. Still you can't have everything. :lol:

Feel like Spud when hes lying in the gutter "teww Mark tae...." but its all worth it, best day at SJP for years, beautifully capped off with Iggy Pop - Lust for Life walking out the ground, or did I imagine that? We were better than them all over the park, Gerrard was shit, looked at the twitter walking up to see the teams and we couldn't believe he started with two twenty year olds in midfield, I wouldn't care if they were good they're both shite.

I couldn't believe how feeble they were at 2-0 down, old Liverpool would've been right in your face, they gave up, they just fuckin gave up, they didn't chase they thought fuck this, they're a broken depressed team. Carroll is a disgrace if he had've stood up he had an empty net, unless he was doing a Chopra (2009) only he will know. Brilliant day, strange I can't see pacinofan on the list at the bottom today. Funny that.

Scousers were low profile all day, when I was walking up to me seat this kid, above us staring me out, he looked like Peter Beardsley in 1984 same haircut, but fatter, and I sang there's only two Peter Beardsleys to him, he came back with "geordie swaaat", but when we came back for the second he'd put his hood up. I feel proper guilty now, genuinely that I must've upset the poor cunt.

I couldn't believe how feeble they were at 2-0 down, old Liverpool would've been right in your face, they gave up, they just fuckin gave up, they didn't chase they thought fuck this, they're a broken depressed team.

When you look at their manager it's hardly a surprise. For months he has looked like a broken man, quietly mumbling incoherent answers to the questions asked, then storming off as soon as the interviewer suggests that his team isn't doing as well as they ought to.

If he's the figure they're looking to for inspiration and a bit of blood and guts encouragement then it's no wonder why they didn't even turn up yesterday.

Feel like Spud when hes lying in the gutter "teww Mark tae...." but its all worth it, best day at SJP for years, beautifully capped off with Iggy Pop - Lust for Life walking out the ground, or did I imagine that? We were better than them all over the park, Gerrard was shit, looked at the twitter walking up to see the teams and we couldn't believe he started with two twenty year olds in midfield, I wouldn't care if they were good they're both shite. I couldn't believe how feeble they were at 2-0 down, old Liverpool would've been right in your face, they gave up, they just fuckin gave up, they didn't chase they thought fuck this, they're a broken depressed team. Carroll is a disgrace if he had've stood up he had an empty net, unless he was doing a Chopra (2009) only he will know. Brilliant day, strange I can't see pacinofan on the list at the bottom today. Funny that. Scousers were low profile all day, when I was walking up to me seat this kid, above us staring me out, he looked like Peter Beardsley in 1984 same haircut, but fatter, and I sang there's only two Peter Beardsleys to him, he came back with "geordie swaaat", but when we came back for the second he'd put his hood up. I feel proper guilty now, genuinely that I must've upset the poor cunt.

:lol:

I bet those silly cunts wearing the Ant & Dec masks feel bell ends now.

I couldn't believe how feeble they were at 2-0 down, old Liverpool would've been right in your face, they gave up, they just fuckin gave up, they didn't chase they thought fuck this, they're a broken depressed team.

When you look at their manager it's hardly a surprise. For months he has looked like a broken man, quietly mumbling incoherent answers to the questions asked, then storming off as soon as the interviewer suggests that his team isn't doing as well as they ought to.

If he's the figure they're looking to for inspiration and a bit of blood and guts encouragement then it's no wonder why they didn't even turn up yesterday.

Yep. Honestly this you know who they reminded me of, us in 2009 at Villa Park, they looked completely demotivated. The money their players earn they were a disgrace, dickheads like Redknapp saying they'll be above us next season, mebeez if they buy a whole new team aye.