mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Four and a half hours with your FINGER hovering above the keys and that's what you have come up with.Did you learn gardening at school.

:lol: I have no idea what this is.

He wasn't hounded out at all, I think most people wanted to see him given the season and expected him to 'move upstairs'.

Shepherd thought he'd lost control of the players & I suppose that was illustrated clearly by Robson's replacement. The fans don't make these decisions, just like the fans didn't bring Keegan back but got stick for it.

Anyway, I think Sir Bobby got abuse for dropping Keegan from the England squad - that's when he was spat at, apparently...

IIRC, Robson dropped him (he was the England captain at the time although Mick Mills was captain in the '82 World Cup because KK wasn't fully fit) via the announcement of the squad rather than telling him in person. KK found about it when journalists turned up and told him about it. He was huffed and Robson and him fell out. Tbh, I think Robson was out of order with his handling of that. I also think they never got on after that. I think Robson's comments Ashley in his later years were part dig at Shepherd and the Halls and partly at Keegan.

Is there a term to describe the repetition of unsubstantiated (or disproven) claims to delude yourself and your peers?

It's not a strawman argument as such, and calling it a delusion or just a lie isn't specific enough.

I can't find it

Pleased for the lad, 1st in economics from a decent Uni is nothing to sniff at.

Maybe he can have a look at their books for them and explain that signing decrepit centre backs is really bad for the club... economically speaking.

mackems have two points from games against Leic, Villa, Norwich, Swansea (H) and Spurs (H). If you assume they'll definitely lose 7 or 8 out the of 10 games they've still got against the traditional top 5 (ManC, Chel, ManU, Arnl and Liv) probably only gaining a maximum of 4pts from the other 2 or 3, they arguably need another 32 points from their remaining 23 games to reach a safety mark of 38.

Even the 6pts that we gift them annually leave them needing 26 from 21.

Their last 10 seasons in the top flight have returned on average 0.95pts per game. (That includes the glory years under Bruce and the dark days under McCarthy & Wilkinson)

They might be fucked this year.

Shame.

They looked a lot better than I expected yesterday tbh. They defended well and Lens looks a decent player. Mind you I thought Spurs were pretty poor. Looks like the worst team they've had for a long time.

They often raise their game for the bigger clubs, but the old frailties persist. They're still ponderous at the back and a more dynamic Spurs should have torn the back line asunder. PAtrick van Aanholt is utterly terrible, Kaboul and O'Shea are average and slowing a little more every fixture. The latter is their Steven Taylor, loves to point the finger at others when a mistake is made. I do think Pantilimon will rescue many a point for them this year but not enough and an injury to the big Romanian could fuck the poor lambs.

Lens and Defoe will sharp get sick of a central midfield who'd be perfectly safe in the Tyrannosaurus Rex paddock.