mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Anyone fancy it as a Feeder club? According to Kieran Maguire the entire club is worth, at most £30m, which is less than we spent on Bruno.

Imagine being worth less than Andy Carroll :lol:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If they fall much further we'll be able to buy them using the excess Patreon funds.

I've heard a rumour Meenzer has been siphoning funds off from the Patreon to pay for his next Eurovision jolly to Gran Canaria :cuppa:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I've heard a rumour Meenzer has been siphoning funds off from the Patreon to pay for his next Eurovision jolly to Gran Canaria :cuppa:

Could be worse, he could be a TICKET TOUT! :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Craig said:

....and how did that game end up for them? 

BTW, 5 times they've been involved in play-offs. 4 of those times they got the final (1987 it was the final game under a different format). They've won none of them. They'll crow on about how they were promoted in 1990 but that was only due to Swindon Town being corrupt.

Conversely, we've appeared in it once (we all know what happened). Since then we've been promoted back to the top tier 3 times - each time as Champions.

How had I forgotten all about that tbh, they couldn't even get promoted properly, team that finished third should have gone up (and who was that again?? :()

Edited by Toonpack

Just now, Toonpack said:

How had I forgotten all about that tbh, they couldn't even get promoted properly, team that finished third should have gone up (who was that again??)

Aye. Team that finished 6th ended up going up despite the fact they never won the final. TBF it was a farcical mess and all 3 teams had an argument for going up - Mackems because they lost the final, us because we finished 3rd and Blackburn as they should have been in the final at Swindon's expense. 

Football League's fault - they should have dealt with the Swindon situation BEFORE the play offs began but they choose to delay it in the hope they wouldn't win the thing.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

We were something like 6 points clear of the mackems iirc as well. Can't remember why they didn't just demote the bottom 2 that year with 2 going up, would have made more sense. 

Good point, And wasn't the case for Sheffield Wednesday staying up strongly argued as well? The went down on GD from Luton. Both of them finished 13 points ahead of Charlton who were 19th.

47 minutes ago, Alex said:

I remember there being relegation playoffs initially. Who could’ve foreseen the bother that would cause? :lol:

I wonder which was the most senior club to get relegated during that first year? :lol:

That said, I would champion the simplifying of the playoffs. 17th in the Premier League v 3rd in the Championship. 2-legged affair, aggregate winner takes all.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tom said:

No sympathy. Ever.

It was quite prophetic to be fair, given that auf wiedersehen literally means “until we meet again”. We didn’t wait long. Same can’t be said for them.

Edited by Toonpack

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/keane-on-why-he-turned.1572728/

RTG reacts to Keane saying he wanted more money than they could afford to pay him. Outraged that he wasn't falling over himself to pay Sunderland for the opportunity to manage such an illustrious club, the consensus is that they've dodged a bullet, he's shit, can't motivate people cos he only cares about money, will never get a chance like this again, etc

Full on scorned ex-girlfriend sentiments.

• Haha 5