The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Not necessarily, if you look at some of the promoted clubs, the model they seem to follow is building a solid team and then adding quality where it's needed rather than overhauling their sides with loads of new players. The priority is to get promoted and if we do that, a strong team spirit should emerge like last time we got promoted. Some of the players we have should also develop into better players and buying a lot now gives the manager more chances to develop the sort of player we would need.

I get that that's what some promoted clubs do (out of necessity) but I don't think Rafa would be prepared to gamble with some of this dross and pin hopes on team spirit. He'll be looking to kick on quickly if we go up

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that that's what some promoted clubs do (out of necessity) but I don't think Rafa would be prepared to gamble with some of this dross and pin hopes on team spirit. He'll be looking to kick on quickly if we go up

I assume he is also banking on the fact that some of the players won't be good enough. I think he sees the players brought in as all having potential to play at this level and the next but that not all of them will show that. The two central defenders are probably a good example where if we do go up, the better one will be kept and the other one let go.

Hopefully it's a short term deal and a short term fix, it must be hard to bring in someone willing to be a back up for a Championship side to be fair. I've got a feeling that if Murphy comes in he'll be our lot for up top, until January anyway. Hopefully we get the deal for this left back wrapped up as well. 

Bit of a head scratcher this one. Agree about the need for a striker with a physical presence but can we genuinely not attract better than an Ipswich reserve? Feels like a panic buy, hard to imagine he's a player Rafa was demanding we buy

Bit of a head scratcher this one. Agree about the need for a striker with a physical presence but can we genuinely not attract better than an Ipswich reserve? Feels like a panic buy, hard to imagine he's a player Rafa was demanding we buy

I agree with Quiff saying it's to ensure continuity in the system Rafa wants to play, he's not a reserve at Ipswich is he? he's their number 9 iirc. The worry is the bloke is a complete Championship striker and doesn't do well in the PL (and he's 33), I suppose if he does fire in a bunch of goals for us and we get promoted he's worth the money. As I said just before I don't imagine it's the easiest sell to try and bring someone in as back up striker for a Championship side so I suppose this is a half decent one to bring in.

Absolute shite at international level. We really seem to be building a side for the Championship rather than one to compete in the PL.

Just what I was thinking. Can see Chez's point to an extent but Daryl Murphy ffs :lol: 

I wasn't referring to Murphy earlier, more the overall approach of who to buy to get you up. The strategy can't be to buy players that are top premiership players as that obviously makes no sense whatsoever on any level. So what do you do? Only buy players that want to drop down a level for money? Buy players that are clearly going to be top players but aren't there yet?

You need a mix of players in the recruitment mix. I would have thought the thinking would be somewhere along these lines. Firstly you need players who are good enough for the Orem, like Ritchie, Gayle, Mbemba, Elliot, Perez (you can argue who goes in which category). Then you need a whole plethora of players who are young and in development who look like they can develop into better players and move up a level. Those players are the hardest to identify so you need to have a few shots on target and fill the squad. You plan to keep only the ones that do well and buy up if you go up (Hayden etc). Then you need players who can do a job for you in the championship (we had plenty the last time). This third type of player you definitely don't plan to keep. The difference being this time we don't have players like Ranger, Lovenkrands etc to do a striking job already on the books and getting a Harewood type of player costs a bit more nowadays.

So 'wtf' in general to Murphy but don't think it makes sense to view each transfer with the same perspective.

The good thing is Townsend was the only one of that lot I wanted to keep and I think Richie is as good if not better. People argued the toss a couple of weeks ago but Townsends done fuck all since he left and Richie has been easily our best player

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic