The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Kiwi, wicketkeeper/batsman Conway out of final, smacked his bat down when he was out and broke his hand !!

if the fucking Aussies win this it’s a travesty 

Paging Ken? :aussie: 🍷

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

In my experience as a contractor for about 20-odd years, I’ve yet to meet a white Yorkshireman who isn’t a rancid racist, and I’ve met fucking loads. 

Obvs, I’ve never met Wykiki 😉

I just saying this to my sisters fella. I don’t think I’ve ever met a Yorkshireman that isn’t racist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’d add to my initial post, not too long after Mrs.F. and I got married we went to stay with some friends who’d moved to Elland. 
We went out for a wander along the canals, all very nice, then went to a party at their neighbours house. 
It was fucking Britain First with hors d’oeuvres- house full of racists decrying “ t’Pakehs” and planning their transport arrangements to an EDF rally- not joking either, that’s what they were talking about as we arrived. 
The craziest part was one them was a black lad, fully in to the anti-Asian crack. 

Mental.  

Mrs.F. unloaded her full wrath and it was a fucking joy to behold.:lol:

• Haha 4

I’m a (very) middle aged white man, I’ve worked in/on building sites, shipyards, general engineering & manufacturing plants, oil refineries etc etc since the mid 80s, places where a shovel is very much termed a shovel by my various mostly working class colleagues…I’ve heard some disgusting racist things said over the years in conversation by people who think they’re safe doing it among their almost exclusively white workmates. I’ve never heard or seen anyone racially abuse a colleague to their face, not in banter or any jokey way, not  In anyone’s face in front of others. For this to be going on at one of the country’s most esteemed sporting institutions beggars belief. I’m not suggesting people I’ve worked with over the years aren’t racist, a fair few undoubtedly were. Were they just cleverer than your average Yorkshire cricketer? .. :unsure:

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I’ve never heard or seen anyone racially abuse a colleague to their face,

I have mind. 
One time they got absolute pelters for it, on a site in Dumfries. 

The other time was in Leeds, and the bloke getting the abuse was my former business partner, who’s half Indian ( no, he’s not called Ian). 
We both gave the lad pelters but were very much in the minority. 

There’s a pattern emerging here :lol:

• Jaysus... 1

14 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I’m a (very) middle aged white man, I’ve worked in/on building sites, shipyards, general engineering & manufacturing plants, oil refineries etc etc since the mid 80s, places where a shovel is very much termed a shovel by my various mostly working class colleagues…I’ve heard some disgusting racist things said over the years in conversation by people who think they’re safe doing it among their almost exclusively white workmates. I’ve never heard or seen anyone racially abuse a colleague to their face, not in banter or any jokey way, not  In anyone’s face in front of others. For this to be going on at one of the country’s most esteemed sporting institutions beggars belief. I’m not suggesting people I’ve worked with over the years aren’t racist, a fair few undoubtedly were. Were they just cleverer than your average Yorkshire cricketer? .. :unsure:

It’s incredible like. When I heard about the latest lot of revelations I couldn’t believe it. I have a mate from the west end and (not that I ever would of course) if I called him a ‘Paki’ to his face I think he would probably chin me. It’s like something you’d expect to hear about from Fred Trueman’s era. 

It’s a bloody mess like but we’ve got to hope people can delineate a couple of daft tweets a teenager sent from a that of a seemingly toxic & thriving culture of racism in cricket. 

His experience is still valid I suppose

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

It’s a bloody mess like but we’ve got to hope people can delineate a couple of daft tweets a teenager sent from a that of a seemingly toxic & thriving culture of racism in cricket. 

His experience is still valid I suppose

Definitely. And I agree there's a big difference, but the ECB have backed themselves into a corner by already chucking out multiple suspensions for players who sent a daft tweets as kids a decade ago