Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

China will be in Taiwan before August, they are just watching how little the US is doing regarding the Ukraine and planning how far they can "annex".

It's interesting how little has been mentioned about Putin wanting to maintain Europe's reliance upon Russia's supply of fossel fuels and his rejection of green power.

Taking control of the Ukraine's nuclear plants is a huge part of that plan, so one down.

Did anyone watch Occupied? This was a quote from the Russian Noweigan ambassador at the time:

Taiwan supplies some of the most advanced microchips used in military equipment, satellites etc. Neither Chinese nor American companies have been able to get anywhere near them technology wise so far. For this reason there's a view that the US will step in if China makes a move on Taiwan. The Silicon Shield they call it, the Taiwanese semiconductor industry. 

It's crazy times and who knows what will happen but I think history has shown money and strategic advantage are far greater motivators than human suffering.

• Like 4

As much as I'm glad Ukraine is defending itself, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing people being killed like that. This is of course a tragedy for the 20 year old Russians Putin has sent to their deaths as well.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

sickening 

They were so lucky. Like they said, others won’t be. They didn’t give a fuck who they were 

42 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

As much as I'm glad Ukraine is defending itself, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing people being killed like that. This is of course a tragedy for the 20 year old Russians Putin has sent to their deaths as well.

That’s the thing like. They’re victims too, he has about as much respect for the lives of his own forces as he does the people of Ukraine 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I hate seeing 'help our heroes' type posts on twitter about anniversaries of killed soldiers in Afghanistan, not because I'm callous and don't care that they died but more of the fact that I just don't understand why they were there in the first place. Total waste of a life even though I'm sure they thought they were doing a vital job. It's almost like those tweeting get a stalker on about it?

• Like 6

14 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Taiwan supplies some of the most advanced microchips used in military equipment, satellites etc. Neither Chinese nor American companies have been able to get anywhere near them technology wise so far. For this reason there's a view that the US will step in if China makes a move on Taiwan. The Silicon Shield they call it, the Taiwanese semiconductor industry. 

It's crazy times and who knows what will happen but I think history has shown money and strategic advantage are far greater motivators than human suffering.

Hope you are right but I think China knows it is the next world superpower and they will need to show it, sooner than later.

8 hours ago, sammynb said:

Hope you are right but I think China knows it is the next world hyperpower and they will need to show it, sooner than later.

FYP

The amount of war crimes happening is staggering. A lot of them are obviously without any shame knowing that this war is being pkayed out in public (unless you are living in Russia or China).

The disregard to international law and human rights that has developed is absurd and does set the clock back for more than 100 years.

I really hope this situation does find an end that does allow the ICC to do its work and hunt this barbarian s down. All of them. Give them a fair trial and then the verdict they do deserve.

• Like 4

I asked before what the legal basis/definition of corruption is as I can't see why there hasn't been charges over covid contracts so now I'd like to know how giving an alleged spy (as warned by the people whose actual fucking job it is to know these things) government contracts and a peerage doesn't amount to treason. 

• Like 1

What happens now will scare the shit out of China. Russia cannot control Ukraine and this is purely a land battle. 

China must use ships which will be sitting ducks to any invasion.

Fuck them

7 hours ago, Ken said:

Declare war Putin. You see the West as aggressors?

Declare it and let's get an outcome.

The fact that he hasn't done this, and has only threatened to, is telling.

Is this war a random event based on Putin wanting to leave a “legacy”?

Or is it a wider plan with Russia and China to “somehow” fuck over Europe and America over energy?

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

Is this war a random event based on Putin wanting to leave a “legacy”?

Or is it a wider plan with Russia and China to “somehow” fuck over Europe and America over energy?

Russia seems to be saying it's the former. That post Tom made the other day referenced a statement that I believe was from the Kremlin outlining how Putin had taken on a 'historic duty' to solve the Ukraine problem once and for all, so that future generations didn't have to. That honestly sounds like a legacy consideration to me.

I don't think fucking over Europe has legs beyond the next 10 years anyway - we'll be increasingly on renewables by that point anyway, based on this. The less dependency we have on them, the less power they have over us. I don't see how cutting us off there helps them longer term.

• Like 1