Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

No way he would go to Wistaam if we were in for him.

agreed. looks like those who said this was one that was led by ITKs, fans and second rate reporters were right. Shame as I think we’d all love to see that Brazilian midfield three but Howe must not fancy him or I think he’d be here too. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, trophyshy said:

People wouldn't bat an eyelid nowadays, but back in the 90s footballers in dresses was a big deal.

How does autocorrect frequently get it so wrong btw? :lol: 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

agreed. looks like those who said this was one that was led by ITKs, fans and second rate reporters were right. Shame as I think we’d all love to see that Brazilian midfield three but Howe must not fancy him or I think I’d be here too. 

Like I said...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Bit of a sour note for  Dubravka to leave on but if he can’t hack the slightest bit of competition in his position, he’s welcome to fuck right off. I’m sure we could well find a cheap, dependable enough back-up on deadline day

De Gea can warm a bench.

I understand Dubravka. To be a substitute at Newcastle, I am a substitute at Manchester. And don't get me wrong. I would choose Newcastle a million times over ManU, but I am not Dubravka. I explain.

For years, De Gea has been somewhat compromised in the starting goalkeeping position. Here, Dubravka, after 3-4 years at a very good level, has suddenly found that he is a substitute, and from the first day he has been without anyone giving him the opportunity to play.

The bet on Nick Pope is very serious and it is assumed that he will fight with Pickford (and perhaps Henderson) for the starting position in the selection, so Dubravka here would be a safe substitute.

Instead, in Manchester, Dubravka may have higher chances of everything. In fact, right now he is not assured of starting in Slovakia. Manchester plays the Europa League, in addition to the two Cups, so it is possible that, being a substitute for De Gea, he may have more options to play 10-15 games this year and that would help him have options to fight for the position in Manchester United.

In addition, Manchester United continues to be one of the 3 biggest teams in the world in terms of merchandising, fans, income, etc. This would make the image of him grow.

I don't know. I think that at the point where Dubravka is, he has two options: Either go to a lesser team to be a starter (go back to Prague, for example), or go to be a substitute in a Top Europe team (although football-wise Manchester today not be) of those looking for a goalkeeper, such as Barcelona, Manchester, PSG...

• Like 2

It seems good to me that Paquetá goes to West Ham.

His adaptation to Serie A was not good and he failed there in Milan, so it's great to see him running around for a year in the Premier at West Ham and, if it goes well, in 2023 we will already sign him.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

It seems good to me that Paquetá goes to West Ham.

His adaptation to Serie A was not good and he failed there in Milan, so it's great to see him running around for a year in the Premier at West Ham and, if it goes well, in 2023 we will already sign him.

Yeah as I was saying the other day Moyes has a tendency to shit the bed, especially with high profile players, so I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham fail to repeat their heroics from last season, and at the very least I can't seem him maintaining that level beyond this season. Moyes' most successful years were at Everton when he had no pressure on him whatsoever, and he was still very up and down with them. Although that was perhaps understandable given lack of funds. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

His Everton sides tended to play the same way and get figured out with in 12 months, then he’d rejuvenate and they’d back up the table. 

if we use that logic they’ll finish about 13th this year. I just think they have had a slow start. I fear paqueta may well not suit his style of play…. 

1 minute ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Diaby incoming :wank::wank::wank:

imagine if we closed the window with Diaby and Maddison. We’d soon forget about Paqueta.

Suspect one of the Chelsea lads on loan might be more realistic 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Don't get your hopes up with Diary lads. This is Paqueta all over again.

We were linked with Isak and Diaby right at the start of the window then heard nothing about either player for over a month. All bets are off after we signed Isak out of the blue for £60m

Edited by Dr Gloom

I think we’re likely to sign one other player. I doubt we’ve got 2 incoming. 

BTW all the fucking journos saying we’ve,had a quieter window than expected. We’ve signed 4 players, all with a decent chance of being involved at the WC and with one more likely to come in. They’ve quickly forgotten what things were like pre-takeover. In 8 months we’ve signed:

Trippier

Wood

Burn

Bruno

Targett

Pope

Botman

Isak

Some fucking perspective is most definitely required.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Craig said:

I think we’re likely to sign one other player. I doubt we’ve got 2 incoming. 

BTW all the fucking journos saying we’ve,had a quieter window than expected. We’ve signed 4 players, all with a decent chance of being involved at the WC and with one more likely to come in. They’ve quickly forgotten what things were like pre-takeover. In 8 months we’ve signed:

Trippier

Wood

Burn

Bruno

Targett

Pope

Botman

Isak

Some fucking perspective is most definitely required.

It’s been an unbelievable couple of transfer windows. Wood the only real blip so far but we were desperate and he did a job last season. I don’t mind him as third choice striker actually as he offers something different off the bench were we ever to go two up front chasing a game 

Was Wood a blip?  We took him off a relegation rival and he contributed to our survival over a period of games where we were unbeaten?  Yes his goal scoring wasn't the biggest contribution, but his work rate and defending surly helped us out.

• Like 4

For me, a striker is judged on goals, especially if he's up top there on his own. In the absence of goals, their ability to play others into goalscoring positions. I think Wood should still be a useful option from the bench due to his size and ability to muscle defenders but he's not some goalscoring machine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Bit of a sour note for  Dubravka to leave on but if he can’t hack the slightest bit of competition in his position, he’s welcome to fuck right off. I’m sure we could well find a cheap, dependable enough back-up on deadline day

I hope so because Darlow is shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Was Wood a blip?  We took him off a relegation rival and he contributed to our survival over a period of games where we were unbeaten?  Yes his goal scoring wasn't the biggest contribution, but his work rate and defending surly helped us out.

It grumpily did.

Wood wasn't a blip, it was a needs must transfer at a time we were without our 1st choice, in a relegation scrap, without a DoF, CEO and our manager had only had his feet under the desk for a comparatively short time. We unsettled a relegation rival and his contributions definitely helped us stay up, even if there weren't a lot of goals.

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season