Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

yeah, madison is the game-changer statement signing. 

i think we also need a ball-playing number 6. i'm not sure tielemens is that player. i think he's more of a longstaff upgrade. my only concern with him is whether he can do the work required off the ball to fit into howe's system, but if we get him i'll trust their judgement 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Craig said:

If it came down to Tielemans OR Maddison, which would you prefer? Maddison for me.

If they're the same price Maddison, if Tielemans is a fair whack less due to when his contract expires, Tielemans who is also younger. They're both quality so we'll get neither for cheap unfortunately and they'll be looking for a nice bump in their wages.

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think we also need a ball-playing number 6. i'm not sure tielemens is that player. i think he's more of a longstaff upgrade. my only concern with him is whether he can do the work required off the ball to fit into howe's system, but if we get him i'll trust their judgement 

The good thing about the system is the better you get at it, and the better the players enacting it are, the less work you need to do. I don't think Tielemans or Maddison would have trouble with it.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, I get that and its working at the moment so I would be hesitant to change the personnel and system too much. However, somewhere down the line we will start trading blood and guts for more ball retention and technical ability.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Yeah, I get that and its working at the moment so I would be hesitant to change the personnel and system too much. However, somewhere down the line we will start trading blood and guts for more ball retention and technical ability.

we definitely need players with better technical ability than the likes of Longstaff. But this high intensity pressing game seems to be the identity Howe is trying to stamp on this team so ideally we will sign technical players who also buy into his philosophy. I trust the recruitment staff to identify who those players are based on the work they’ve done so far. It’s only Wood really who has failed to impress - what’s that, one out of about 10 signings? That’s a decent hit rate. 

Tielemans would also help us keep the ball which can be a bit of an issue sometimes. He’d be able to sit behind Bruno, get the ball

on the turn and feed it into him when Bruno finds the space between the lines. Then Longstaff becomes the option you use to see games out. He comes on, presses and covers their passing lanes like a mad man for 15 minutes 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Tielemans would also help us keep the ball which can be a bit of an issue sometimes. He’d be able to sit behind Bruno, get the ball

on the turn and feed it into him when Bruno finds the space between the lines. Then Longstaff becomes the option you use to see games out. He comes on, presses and covers their passing lanes like a mad man for 15 minutes 

do you see tielemens coming in as the “number six”, as the youngsters put it? I thought he might be better suited as one of the two “number 8s” 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not sure if Tielemens personality fits the group mind. Comes across as a bit of a prima donna and he will no doubt be asking for £200k pw

That was my thinking. If he joins, he wont be getting 200k surely. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

do you see tielemens coming in as the “number six”, as the youngsters put it? I thought he might be better suited as one of the two “number 8s” 

Not sure it’ll be that rigid tbh. All our midfielders have the legs to run beyond and I’d think he’d fit in with that. Tielemans, Bruno, Trippier and Almiron on that right hand side is genuinely fearsome. Especially if ASM gets back up to speed on the left 

Well the worry that a couple of injuries could derail the season just took on a whole new meaning after today's performance. 

We could really do with a couple of upgrades this window. Even if nothing spectacular. A couple of players that aren't absolutely tragic and can hold their own when needed 

• Like 5

Aye, we need 2-3 in to just keep the build going and start to give us depth as the players who make up the current 11 become the back ups rather than some of the players we saw today. 

• Like 2

On 06/01/2023 at 11:42, Craig said:

If it came down to Tielemans OR Maddison, which would you prefer? Maddison for me.

Tielemans has been mooted on our forums but it seems the fact that Leicester fans fans seem to want him gone has put many off. Plus it's thought he just isn't that good.

City forums have also mentioned arsenals Ødegard and your Bruno. Both are deemed as unobtainable though. Rightly so in my opinion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

Tielemans has been mooted on our forums but it seems the fact that Leicester fans fans seem to want him gone has put many off. Plus it's thought he just isn't that good.

City forums have also mentioned arsenals Ødegard and your Bruno. Both are deemed as unobtainable though. Rightly so in my opinion.

We're mostly linked with Bellingham and Maximo Perrone.

Not gonna claim to know anything about Perrone ( although i do love his name ) but it sounds like its imminent.

Bellingham is linked to a few, but some of our itk's are claiming it will happen and that Liverpool and Madrid comments are sounding like they're positioning themselves not to get him. Not sure our club have said anything though.

Not sure what you guys need but your squad seems decent based on results so its probably safe to say that any new players need to be upgrades (to push you on to the next level)

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season