Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

IMG_2206.jpeg

I have it on good authority that we are only going to sign players that Adam P can pronounce.

Tonali was just at the limit of that so we are going to be looking at players like Eze going forward

• Haha 4

The club's strategy, for the moment, does not seem to be giving too many clues to the press.

The players that we have signed that have been more expensive have hardly been mentioned or it seemed that they were going to another team. Isak and Tonali arrived overnight when there were no rumors for them. Botman (Milan) and Bruno (Arsenal) did make a lot of noise, but because it seemed like there was a war that we had lost.

Those who have really sounded the most have been guys like Diego Carlos, Maddison or Paquetá, and they never came.

The Trippier, Pope or Burn thing was also sudden and almost without knowing. Gordon never made a sound either and when it seemed like he was going to Chelsea or Tottenham, suddenly we made it official.

If Szoboszlai doesn't end up coming, he doesn't worry me, although he seemed like a good player to me. Surely the club has other ideas that have not yet come to the press.

And if the level of Almirón or Murphy is the same as last season and Gordon and Saint Maximin can really contribute more than last year (something easy to do), it would not seem like a drama to me not to sign anyone.

• Like 7

Honestly, I'm bummed that it looks like we're not getting Szoboszlai. He's a really exciting player. BUT, I have to remind myself that we're 3-5yrs ahead of schedule and Szoboszlai is the kind of player who moves to an elite club. We're not there yet.

Patience and zen my friends, patience and zen.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly, I'm bummed that it looks like we're not getting Szoboszlai. He's a really exciting player. BUT, I have to remind myself that we're 3-5yrs ahead of schedule and Szoboszlai is the kind of player who moves to an elite club. We're not there yet.

we are the elite  

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

we are the elite  

Not yet. One good season, in a crazy season, does not a summer make.

Just now, The Fish said:

Not yet. One good season, in a crazy season, does not a summer make.

we’re got a one way ticket to establishment-ville

Bitches better recognise 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

None will be more upset about it than me (on here). Even more so if he goes to Liverpool. Sure we're not there yet, as far as being an elite club, but we're in the Champions League and they're not. I believe we have an elite club level hierarchy in place and an eager manager who is doing a phenomenal job and IMO will improve because he's young and adaptive. We need that sort of signing to try to maintain our champions league status through increasing our overall quality and depth.

Edited by OTF

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

we’re got a one way ticket to establishment-ville

Bitches better recognise 

Oh we're aboard the Elite-opolis express all right, but we're not yet at our final destination. 

e.g. I don't think we'll get CL this season (this prediction will be revised many times before the end of the transfer window) because Chelsea and Liverpool will likely have better seasons than they did in 22/23 (maybe Spurs too). We have a thin squad which is largely inexperienced playing in multiple competitions. Brighton and Villa may still be a threat too. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

The club's strategy, for the moment, does not seem to be giving too many clues to the press.

The players that we have signed that have been more expensive have hardly been mentioned or it seemed that they were going to another team. Isak and Tonali arrived overnight when there were no rumors for them. Botman (Milan) and Bruno (Arsenal) did make a lot of noise, but because it seemed like there was a war that we had lost.

Those who have really sounded the most have been guys like Diego Carlos, Maddison or Paquetá, and they never came.

The Trippier, Pope or Burn thing was also sudden and almost without knowing. Gordon never made a sound either and when it seemed like he was going to Chelsea or Tottenham, suddenly we made it official.

If Szoboszlai doesn't end up coming, he doesn't worry me, although he seemed like a good player to me. Surely the club has other ideas that have not yet come to the press.

And if the level of Almirón or Murphy is the same as last season and Gordon and Saint Maximin can really contribute more than last year (something easy to do), it would not seem like a drama to me not to sign anyone.

All a smokescreen for when we announce Diaby - that one has gone quiet 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OTF said:

None will be more upset about it than me (on here). Even more so if he goes to Liverpool. Sure we're not there yet, as far as being an elite club, but we're in the Champions League and they're not. I believe we have an elite club level hierarchy in place and an eager manager who is doing a phenomenal job and IMO will improve because he's young and adaptive. We need that sort of signing to try to maintain our champions league status through increasing our overall quality and depth.

They're not in the Champions League this coming season. But they're an elite side and it's likely that they'll be in the Champions League spots this season. We have the parts in place, but we're not there yet.

Oh, and we have that sort of signing in; Isak, Bruno, Tonali, Botman, Trippier. And there'll be more to come. Just maybe not this window.

I am not fussed. Many of us having seen only little of him, including myself although I could have watched him a lot more than you. He was very good for Hungary when they played Germany most recently and had some very good performances for the club as I can gather. He is certainly talented but there are definitely other players who are as good as him or even better. It will be interesting how much Liverpool will actually pay for him.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

I have it on good authority that we are only going to sign players that Adam P can pronounce.

Tonali was just at the limit of that so we are going to be looking at players like Eze going forward

Not sure that will work 🙂 

50 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

bit annoying that the two AMs we’ve allegedly been chasing might opt for rival PL clubs who can’t offer champions league football 

SUCCESSION — 4x01: The Munsters : you're my morning sun

Seems to me like weve stepped away from central midfield with the Tonali deal done.

No bids were reported for Maddison after that deal and so far its the same for Szoboszlai at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I hadnt even heard of him 6 weeks ago, so cant really bring myself to get too worked up about it

Clearly the lad has plans on Tuesday and Wednesday nights...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

SUCCESSION — 4x01: The Munsters : you're my morning sun

feels a bit like when they beat us to Nunez, but more annoying because they were clearly a better proposition at that stage. Hopefully he does about as well for them as Nunez 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season