Damien Duff

Akabusi

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wonder who the option is on? zoggy, taylor?

Abramovich must be chuffed Mourinho is writing off £10-12mil on players at a time!

163744[/snapback]

Mourinhos leaked dossier seemed to state the Zoggy was a danger man....

I guess the £5m is actually the only payment, otherwise it would have to be stated wouldn't it?

Anyway, heard that we're signing 2 more players this week. Waiting on an answer from Klose, if he rejects us we're going back in for Ashton. Also a left back, and in the future another midfielder. Sounds like we're only getting one more striker though.

Incredible !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/5204958.stm

Newcastle say Duff cost them £5m

Newcastle have landed winger Damien Duff for just £5m from Chelsea.

Duff, 27, signed for the Magpies on Saturday but when a statement was released to the Stock Exchange on Monday it included details of the fee.

"The directors are pleased to announce that Damien Duff passed his medical and his transfer has been completed for a fee of £5m," read the statement.

"The player has agreed personal terms and signed a five-year contract ending in June 2011."

The statement did not include details of any add-ons but the price for the Republic of Ireland international is significantly lower than the £10m that had been reported.

Duff will be unveiled by Newcastle at a news conference at 1400 BST on Monday.

He is understood to have chosen Tyneside ahead of Tottenham, who were also believed to be in the race to sign him.

In 2003 Chelsea paid £17m to Blackburn for Duff and he made 125 appearances and scored 19 goals for the Blues.

Duff, who has been capped 58 times for the Republic of Ireland, picked up two Premiership title medals during his time at Stamford Bridge.

"I can't tell you how pleased I am about getting a player of that quality," manager Glenn Roeder told Setanta Sports 2 prior to his side's Intertoto Cup win over Lillestrom.

"I would think it will excite our fans as well."

Roeder hopes the capture of Duff will be the start of a busy summer of transfer activity at St James' Park.

I've heard we are also signing Petrov to pad out the midfield.

163762[/snapback]

Superb player, best in Scotland IMO.

He could be the midfielder that I was talking about then. Had thought it might be Malbranque, as Fulham are still trying to offload him.

I've heard we are also signing Petrov to pad out the midfield.

163762[/snapback]

Superb player, best in Scotland IMO.

163765[/snapback]

Agree :lol:

Supposedly it's being reported on SSN that Angel is being lined up for £1m. I don't think too much of him but he's alright, and for that price, as striking cover, that's not a bad deal. We desperately need decent quality cover.

Supposedly it's being reported on SSN that Angel is being lined up for £1m.  I don't think too much of him but he's alright, and for that price, as striking cover, that's not a bad deal.  We desperately need decent quality cover.

163767[/snapback]

If he can regain some form from a few seasons ago then he will be decent.

If Petrov was to come in too (I'd be happy with Malbranque instead though) it will mean we've got some decent attacking options for the first time in a while. Obviously need another striker or two to come in (especially if Luque is off).

Supposedly it's being reported on SSN that Angel is being lined up for £1m.  I don't think too much of him but he's alright, and for that price, as striking cover, that's not a bad deal.  We desperately need decent quality cover.

163767[/snapback]

Actually Scott, I think (especially at that price) he'd be a good signing. Quite underrated and looked decent when Villa were playing well when Nobby was there.

163767[/snapback]

Actually Scott, I think (especially at that price) he'd be a good signing. Quite underrated and looked decent when Villa were playing well when Nobby was there.

163776[/snapback]

So do I, daft lad. :lol:

Although according to the N-O lot, Roeder has already specifically said he's not interested in Angel. :lol:

Im sure i saw FFS sat in front of strachan on tv yesterday. Couldnt for the life of me figure out which playuer he was interested though. Petrov is canny but if the prices are similar id rather have malbranque.

Could see trouble ahead like

petrov

nobby

zoggy

emre

dyer

parker. 4 into 6 doesnt go and its only a matter of time til one of them takes a huff.

Now we just need bridge and chimbonda, 2 new strikers and we are on for the title!

£5m is a fucking joke.

So it looks like he'd rather be at Nufc than spurs - because they could have easily matched our bid.

163774[/snapback]

well they had a 7mil bid turned down. The only reason I can think for it is that Mourinho sees spurs as more of a threat than us!