mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

They’re a bang average championship team, that’s the reality & not too big a shout to say Mowbray has them playing above there level. 

Also typical of a championship club, their best players are on loan. 

I’m not sure how they can’t process this.

Aye, halfway up a division in which the team in 6th has lost well over a third of their games. Get away from the top two or three sides and they’re well and truly mired in the dross below that. 

• Like 3

ANybody want to start the World's shortest thread and do a mackem version of this?

image.thumb.png.de5c277b03b6b3e32b4c464a657608cc.png

In all seriousness, I don't think I can think of a single one. Not because I dislike any of them in particular, maybe Johnson and Cattermole aside (and the former of those being non-football reasons), it's just I can't recall a single exciting player they've ever had. I'm completely ambivalent to nearly all of them, but there are obviously dozens of players we have had who were notable at a national or international level. Jordan Henderson maybe, but even then he's a utilitarian player who rarely excites. Thinking of those who have played for both clubs, even going back to the old days, the flow always seemed to be from us to them - players like Shackleton, Pop Robson, Bob Moncur and Stokoe (as manager for them).

Honestly, this is said sincerely, I would fucking struggle to watch football if I was from Sunderland. The absolute dearth in any quality they've had over the years must be soul destroying. Add to that the fact the city is a fucking shithole, then I think it explains a lot about their psychological make up.

Please, feel empathy for them. Hug a mackem today. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Darren Bent 👍🏻

:lol:

Loved him in his Burton days. And assuming this was a serious reply, which I doubt, and ignoring the inevtiable ignominy of his departure and him subsequently relegating them to the third tier, he probably was their best player over the last two decades, alongside Henderson (who I don't even think played for them much). Totally forgettable. 

Jordan Henderson…..first time I saw him play was when we fuckin twatted the orcs 5-1 at SJP. There’d been a lot of hype about him but I remember thinking “hah they’ve got their own Jack Colback now “ …. so yeah that’s proved somewhat inaccurate :lol: 

Great career and comes over as a good lad :good: 

• Like 2

Think I'm in the same camp as Renton. I honestly can't think of a player for whom I'd tear my eyes away from Stats and Data Weekly.

Phillips was canny, I guess. Put it this way, in a combined Tyne-Wear 11 from the Premier League era, they'd all be wearing Black and White, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Think I'm in the same camp as Renton. I honestly can't think of a player for whom I'd tear my eyes away from Stats and Data Weekly.

Phillips was canny, I guess. Put it this way, in a combined Tyne-Wear 11 from the Premier League era, they'd all be wearing Black and White, right?

Now? Definitely? All time? Probably also definitely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never hated Phillips and he endeared himself to me by refusing to accept a smaller pay-off when they went down.

Against his rules but Bracewell and Venison were obviously excellent for us as was Jeff Clarke.

My dad reckoned Jim Baxter was special but that's before my time, they've had nobody special since imo - maybe Todd and Watson but they weren't world beaters.

• Like 1

I mean, you'd have Ba, Ferdinand, Wilson ahead of Phillips and Bent, right?

Given ahead of Pickford. Lee or Speed ahead of Henderson, maybe Bruno too. Cant think of any left wingers who'd be fit to lace the boots of Ginola, Robert or Ben Arfa. et-fucking-cetera, Marra

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Given ahead of Pickford. Lee or Speed ahead of Henderson, maybe Bruno too. Cant think of any left wingers who'd be fit to lace the boots of Ginola, Robert or Ben Arfa. et-fucking-cetera, Marra

I'd put Wilson on a par with Bent, Ferdinand way above him. Ba, dunno, not here long enough and always worried his knee would explode. But that still leaves Cole and Shearer as CFs who wipe the floor with theirs in the premiership era. And Beardsley as a stiker/attacking midfielder come to think of it. The more I think about it, if you restrict it to the premiership era, I'm struggling to think of one of their players making our bench.  

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

:lol: Making friends. Also, this E-Sunderland bloke smells a bit like a Walter Mitty? Isn’t tabbing and yomping the same thing but used by different parts of the forces? The mention of selection too…. I mean in general it’s a weird thing to bring up but that’s mackems. 

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

All of whom would take their seat on the bench as they bow down to the unstoppable goal machine known as Milton Nunez. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Making friends. Also, this E-Sunderland bloke smells a bit like a Walter Mitty? Isn’t tabbing and yomping the same thing but used by different parts of the forces? The mention of selection too…. I mean in general it’s a weird thing to bring up but that’s mackems. 

He comes up on my Twitter a lot and it’s always people quote tweeting him saying he watched from a bush whilst a burglar shagged his wife!?

• Haha 6

30 minutes ago, NJS said:

I never hated Phillips and he endeared himself to me by refusing to accept a smaller pay-off when they went down.

Against his rules but Bracewell and Venison were obviously excellent for us as was Jeff Clarke.

My dad reckoned Jim Baxter was special but that's before my time, they've had nobody special since imo - maybe Todd and Watson but they weren't world beaters.

Your dad was right tbh, I was just a young'un but my grampa raved about him..

Was a story he was being interviewed and was pinging show off passes all over and groundsman had his wheel barrow on the ptich at halfway and interviewer said, can you get the ball into that? Baxter said no problem, picked the ball up jogged to the barrow dropped ball in, jogged back and said "there you go".

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There's an argument to be made that Henderson's achievements outshine those of Lee or Speed so he would deserve a place ahead of them.  But of course all those achievements were with someone else and not in the whopping 71 league games he played for them.  Their biggest hope is that Venison gets in the team at right back, but Trippier has probably already fucked that for them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Howay said:

Yes he sounds like an arsehole for mentioning "selection and beyond" which is claiming he was in the SAS basically. Tabbing is Army and Yomping is Marines. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

There's an argument to be made that Henderson's achievements outshine those of Lee or Speed so he would deserve a place ahead of them.  But of course all those achievements were with someone else and not in the whopping 71 league games he played for them.  Their biggest hope is that Venison gets in the team at right back, but Trippier has probably already fucked that for them.

And the fact the Venison played for us anyway too of course, arguably at a higher level. FUck it, that's not even arguable tbh. 

ALways remember Gloom had him as his avatar back in the day...... My God how time has flied.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

And the fact the Venison played for us anyway too of course, arguably at a higher level. FUck it, that's not even arguable tbh. 

ALways remember Gloom had him as his avatar back in the day...... My God how time has flied.  

Aye sorry my point was Venison getting in as one of ours but they would claim that as a win of course.

I think i picked David Kelly as my user name when he was still playing for us.  Fuck me I feel old just thinking about that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Bruno has played a little over half as many games for us as Henderson did for them. He's scored nearly twice as many goals already, plus he speaks better English.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Tom said:

He comes up on my Twitter a lot and it’s always people quote tweeting him saying he watched from a bush whilst a burglar shagged his wife!?

Sounds like an average Tuesday in Pennywell tbf. Couple of stray staffys milling about nearby and a bloke passed out on a nearby bench to really set the scene. 

• Haha 4

It’s always the squaddies who saw no active service but got into lots of fights in Germany and Cyprus during their four years in the army that make a big deal of being a ‘veteran’ on Twitter / Facebook. And the Tory Reservists. And essembee 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 4