Summer Transfers 2013

Christmas Tree

The Journal understands that Kinnear believes he was given a transfer fund of around £20m to spend by Mike Ashley – and the club want a striker and wide man to add to the acquisition of Loic Remy and complete their squad.

But he has been unable to make progress in a number of deals proposed over the summer – and their struggles have prompted United’s director of football to receive calls from a number of agents pitching potential forward options.

Newcastle’s modus operandi is not to sign players without a dossier of scouting work behind them and the likelihood is they will stick to a first-choice list that was compiled before Kinnear’s arrival.

United are understood to be monitoring the situation of Florian Thauvin, who is rumoured to be available despite signing for Lille in January.

Newcastle made two bids for the France under-20 striker at the turn of the year before he signed for Bastia.

The move for Bafetimbi Gomis has been torpedoed by the complications of agents’ demands, while Darren Bent has been asked to take a pay cut and a two-year contract to complete his move to Newcastle. The England striker

continues to wait for alternative options, with Crystal Palace linked over the last 48 hours.

Another name explored by Kinnear – Braga striker Eder – has hit a roadblock because the player will be missing until the start of October with a serious ligament problem.

There is no truth at all in talk of a move for Genk striker Jelle Vossen, the prolific Belgium international.

In the meantime, Pardew continues to talk up the chances of his team overcoming Manchester City, who have invested heavily over the summer.

United were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool in a behind-closed-doors friendly yesterday – a game which saw Gabriel Obertan and Vurnon Anita get much-needed minutes, while Dan Gosling scored. But Pardew believes that his team can go to the Etihad and win.

He said: “Look at Manchester City and their outlay. There’s a statistic that they have spent £400m just on strikers over the last six years. It’s phenomenal. But actually, when we get to Monday, August 19 they can only put a couple on.

“They won’t put four on – although they might do over the course of the game – but it’s still 11 v 11. You must always enter every game in the belief that you can go and win it and I’ve always done that. Even last year when we were really struggling for confidence and even personnel we had to enter the game with a game plan and a belief that you can win.

“Trust me, we will be looking to do that next season too.”

Pardew also insists the “loyalty” of his supporters is another constant that he will take into next season. He is desperate to repay that by replicating the success of the 2011/12 season.

“I haven’t got that (local knowledge) but I have got the knowledge that it’s there,” he said.

“I think there have been decisions made at this football club – both good and bad. But they always react in the same way: they turn up, they’re passionate about the team.

“There’s not many big clubs that have had quite the turmoil these fans have had and my passion is to give them something back – a trophy, success of some description.”

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Ashley is incapable of making two decent decisons in a row. He may not be alone in that, but thinking the remedy to last season was to appoint a fuckin dinosaur as DoF ranks among the very worst he's made. Second only to choosing Denis Wise over Keegan. In spite of a brief period of samity when he appeared to be getting the hang of this football thing,Kinnear's appointment shoes he's actually learnt the square root of fuck all.

Personally, I don't believe that Ashley had any intention of spending money in this window. We basically spent this summers money in January to keep ourselves up and all of the supposed bids have been no more than a load of hot air. As for JFK's appointment - I reckon he's been brought in as a target - someone to blame for when things go tits up.

It's beyond belief, really. We almost got relegated last season because Ashley refused to strengthen the team over the summer. You would think that maybe, just maybe, he'd learn from his mistakes. Unfortunately it looks like, because we don't have European football to contend with this year, he thinks that we should just about have enough bodies in to maintain a lower - mid table position. Ignoring the fact that we've lost a bunch of players from what has been a threadbare squad since he took over.

:lol: Ashley is incapable of making two decent decisons in a row. He may not be alone in that, but thinking the remedy to last season was to appoint a fuckin dinosaur as DoF ranks among the very worst he's made. Second only to choosing Denis Wise over Keegan. In spite of a brief period of samity when he appeared to be getting the hang of this football thing,Kinnear's appointment shoes he's actually learnt the square root of fuck all.

:lol: And that's the root of why we'll do nowt with him in charge. 11/12 was a blip, in the sense that things were a perfect storm and achieving that once in a while isn't too hard in the grand scheme of things. Keeping it going requires competence from boardroom to pitch level and it's only the players on the pitch that fit that bill. Pardew is too negative and stubborn to get the best out of them, the coaching staff clearly needs supplementing if our set-pieces and general organisation are anything to go by, Kinnear couldn't get a nun into church and Ashley, well, we all know about him. Anyone expecting everything to click in place with this squad is in fantasy world as the people in charge of making it click are incompetent in the extreme.

"The Journal understands that Kinnear believes..."

Has there ever been a more vague introduction to a piece of writing.

That's where I stopped reading. :lol:

But he has been unable to make progress in a number of deals proposed over the summer – and their struggles have prompted United’s director of football to receive calls from a number of agents pitching potential forward options.

"faackin' agents seem keen until we meet 'em, then the caants ain't 'avin it! I ain't got a Danny Larue why!"

Aye me too. They may as well have started it with "What you are about to read is total guesswork."

I can make a better guess - we've given Kinnear and Pardew FUCK ALL to spend. :banana:

all of the supposed bids have been no more than a load of hot air.

I dislike the owner as much as the next fan but don't twist the truth. It's fact that we had genuine, actual bids accepted/publicly acknowledged for Gomis and Kone.

Unless you think Aulas and Whelan are liars in league with Ashley?

"The Journal understands that Kinnear believes..."

Has there ever been a more vague introduction to a piece of writing.

Someone suggested that there may have been...

The most depressing part of this summer window is seeing all the activity and signings by the other teams, and it's surprising how many strikers have been signed. Norwich for example has signed 2 strikers (not saying they are any good) but it's an indication that there are strikers on the open market. Some have been signed for reasonable fees (don't know about the wages) that seem to fit our signing agenda.

6 days away from our first league game and looks like not one new face will be on show. Was Joke-inhere told he had so much money to work with but he spent it all on Remy and there's nowt left??