The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure about that. I think this Aussie side is the worst in my lifetime but the fact you're still making a game of it speaks volumes about the Australian fighting spirit. Better England sides would have rolled over already. Still don't think you'd have had much of a chance of winning the series, even if you were to get a result today, but at least it gives you confidence going into the next series, where the wickets will be more to your batters' liking.

England still look a better side overall to me but there isn't as much in it as many pundits were saying after Lords. The main thing we've got is the depth in the bowling attack. Bresnan arguably should have been dropped for Tremlett for this match. I fully expect onions to come in for the Durham test.

Today is set up to be a nail biter. The kind of day you want 11 Paul Collingwoods in the side to roll up their sleeves, get blocking and chalk up innings of 30 or 40 runs off 200 balls.

Shame the weather looks set to spoil it.

This Aussie team is far from great, but it is better than the one that graced England's shores previously, and conversely this England team is not as good as the previous one also. I stand by the affirmation that whoever wins the toss will win the match. Obviously the weather prevented that from happening for Australia in the 3rd test. Winning the toss is the most crucial part of the game between these two teams right now.

Chuffed that they've retained the Ashes but feels like a massive anti-climax.

Agreed. I thought we were in for another roller coaster ride after the first test. Bit of a damp squib in the end.

The positive is that there is a very quick turnaround before you lot come over here and test yourselves on our wickets. Then we'll see where things really are, silicon or no silicon.

This Aussie team is far from great, but it is better than the one that graced England's shores previously, and conversely this England team is not as good as the previous one also. I stand by the affirmation that whoever wins the toss will win the match. Obviously the weather prevented that from happening for Australia in the 3rd test. Winning the toss is the most crucial part of the game between these two teams right now.

well we'll see in the remaining games whether that is still the case but i'm not sure i agree.

surely the side with pointing, kadich and hussey in it was better than this one?

there's not much between the two sides right now but the big difference is swann - you lot just don't have an attacking spin option to compare. plus our batters have performed better, despite generally under performing in the series. your batsmen, clarke aside, have looked ordinary at best. watson has to move down the order doesn't he?

Met office saying light showers in the morning but ok after that on Sunday. Fucking hope so. Don't want to be wasting £80!

you get your money back if it's a washout, not that that's a massive consolation

well we'll see in the remaining games whether that is still the case but i'm not sure i agree.

surely the side with pointing, kadich and hussey in it was better than this one?

there's not much between the two sides right now but the big difference is swann - you lot just don't have an attacking spin option to compare. plus our batters have performed better, despite generally under performing in the series. your batsmen, clarke aside, have looked ordinary at best. watson has to move down the order doesn't he?

Purely subjective, but I thought Huss and Ponting struggled and were no longer to be counted as our backbone last time round. Not that this batting lineup is any better mind but it is a longer one. Our current bowling attack is much better. Look out for Jackson Bird tonight, the lad can play.

Your previous backbone of Cook and Trott are struggling a bit which I see as being a bit of an equiliser. As you've said though, Swann coming at us on the fourth and fifth days is a gamebreaker which is why I don't see us having any chance if we're batting second.

Should be a ripper, I'm staying in tonight and have a beer-beef stew in the slow cooker and I've bought a bottle of Highland Park to sip on during the night. And I bought some (mixed) cigars online last week (don't know why, I'm no regualr puffer of them) but I can't wait to get stuck into a Cuban Bolivar Havana. I've just got myself into one of those moods. :thumbup:

onions' international career possibly over. if he can't get a game with the ashes already retained, in his home ground when he's in the form of his life, when can he?

Edited by Dr Gloom