Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

11 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

You know how things are going with the PL when you genuinely haven't heard of people getting picked for the national squad. I watch us because you can't not, the rest of the games now are neither here nor there and ingurland have left me cold since at least 1998. :lol:

Usually I get forensic on opposition teams and the table and shit, but the past two seasons I've barely been able to remember where we are in the table, let alone anything else. The disappoint in Ashley staying compounded by Bruce's appointment, and then the subsequent shitdrizzle that he passes off as football is killing me. 

If we stay up, and if we get bought buy someone else, and if Bruce is booted into the Tyne, I might be interested. But another season of Ashley, Bruce and boring relegation struggles in the Premier League? Nah, not for me.

• Like 5

Aye I tend to only hear of players when they score past us :lol: 

Football is just background stuff now. NUFC are so predictably shite in every department it’s not worth watching. 

As a club we haven’t been trying for an awful long time so there’s nothing to support.

• Like 4

Both spot on, I don’t even know why I bother watching anymore. The football is embarrassingly bad, in fact the club as a whole is just fucking embarrassing. I basically don’t get excited when we score, under Ashley it’s become pretty meaningless since we will never ever kick on. The fucking thought of staying up and having another year exactly like this is just horrible, but it’s the more likely option when compared with staying up and the club being sold, Ashley won’t sack this fucking ball bag if we stay up and another PL season will be even worse than this one under those circumstances imo. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Both spot on, I don’t even know why I bother watching anymore. The football is embarrassingly bad, in fact the club as a whole is just fucking embarrassing. I basically don’t get excited when we score, under Ashley it’s become pretty meaningless since we will never ever kick on. The fucking thought of staying up and having another year exactly like this is just horrible, but it’s the more likely option when compared with staying up and the club being sold, Ashley won’t sack this fucking ball bag if we stay up and another PL season will be even worse than this one under those circumstances imo. 

Aye, when we've been bad before it didn't feel as self inflicted. Honestly, after the initial Gettin! on Lascelles' equaliser I just felt a bit numb. First time we went down, I was gutted and pessimistic, the second I was frustrated but hopeful, now I'm just 'shrug'. If we stay up I won't be half as excited about another season in the top flight as I should be. Not with these cunts in charge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Howay said:

I don’t even know why I bother watching anymore. 

I am just thankful for the mini match option, which means I can get on with the rest of my day with minimal time wasted (because even that time is wasted).  The last match went from the second minute to the twenty-fifth, without anything clearly happening.  However, not sure why it didn't go from two to eighty really.

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I am just thankful for the mini match option, which means I can get on with the rest of my day with minimal time wasted (because even that time is wasted).  The last match went from the second minute to the twenty-fifth, without anything clearly happening.  However, not sure why it didn't go from two to eighty really.

This for me also. As soon as I saw that there was 4 minutes devoted to the first half I knew I’d made the right decision to sleep in and watch the highlights. And the only reason they didn’t just skip to the 80th minute is because there needs to be 24 minutes of footage for the extended highlights.

The 3 minute highlights are looking a better option all the time tbf.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Howay said:

I am mostly not even bothered to stand up and get a beer out of the fridge watching it, as I don’t want to waste it. Watching us play is the best way for me to stay sober tbh.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I am mostly not even bothered to stand up and get a beer out of the fridge watching it, as I don’t want to waste it. Watching us play is the best way for me to stay sober tbh.

That's a sad state of affairs for a German.

At least Stuttgart are safe in middle table obscurity for you.

11 minutes ago, sammynb said:

That's a sad state of affairs for a German.

At least Stuttgart are safe in middle table obscurity for you.

I would bother if I did care about them.

My German team is sitting two points above the relegation zone in the 4th division.

On 17/03/2021 at 15:41, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Luke Ayling getting an England call-up :lol: 

Fucking great player, don't know what you're talking about 😉 😂

Edit. Fucking VAR, I could cry so I'm going to choose to laugh manically instead.

Edited by Polarboy

56 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

More like overrated in this country and soon to be in Spain.The Dutch ‘Darren Fletcher’.

Totally disagree and the fact so many people like yourself claim he's over-rated is the main reason I think he's under-appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Wijnaldum’s probably got about as many international goals as Fletcher has in his entire career 

Not far off if you count u23 level but its probably unfair to rate either of them on goals scored.

Always rated Wijnaldum though. Nae ego, quietly goes about his business, rarely loses possession, never injured. Cunt never misses a match and puts in a shift in whatever position he's asked.  

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

As long as you play every match at home.

That's how I remember him for us too. He was canny at home and you could see there was a great player in there but he always went missing when playing away and didn't have the stomach for a club battling relegation constantly - thanks Mike.

Still about 1000 times better than anything we currently have or are likely to get in the future.

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

As long as you play every match at home.

Was he really that tragic away from home in his year with the Toon? I've heard Liverpool fans throw this same accusation at him. 

I'll concede he's not a player I'd rely on single handedly turning games around but I've always thought he was pretty dependable (albeit untheatrical)

Only weaknesses in my book would be  he's not vocal enough for someone who can read the game so well. That and he ends up deputising too many other positions. 

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Not far off if you count u23 level but its probably unfair to rate either of them on goals scored.

Always rated Wijnaldum though. Nae ego, quietly goes about his business, rarely loses possession, never injured. Cunt never misses a match and puts in a shift in whatever position he's asked.  

👍It was more the fact that it was an odd comparison. 

He was definitely a ‘homer’ but so was Nobby and nearly everyone adores him (me included). And he’s at a different level to Solano