Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Force Awakens. I welled up on a few occasions. Brilliant return to the humour and energy of the original trilogy. I loved all the nods to the first films through various Star Wars nerd references and the way the universe looked a bit battered and rusty instead of the super polished cgi look of the prequels. Nice mix of models and cgi too

Paths of Glory (1957)

An anti-war, anti-establishment film by Stanley Kubrick which I'd never seen before although had heard of it. It's short, punchy and depicts the upper echelons in the French army of not giving a toss about the pawns who are very much expendable. Kirk Douglas is the Colonel who defends three of his men on a trumped up court martial trial brought by an incompetent and ambitious general. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it, not sure if it's a 'nice trip down memory lane/German and Japs' film that CT would like but it's a more than decent film.

Force Awakens. I welled up on a few occasions. Brilliant return to the humour and energy of the original trilogy. I loved all the nods to the first films through various Star Wars nerd references and the way the universe looked a bit battered and rusty instead of the super polished cgi look of the prequels. Nice mix of models and cgi too

Did you not think the bad guy was a bit pathetic?

It was a good film but he was a shocking villain. In my opinion at least

Edited by Rayvin

It's interesting how the whole spoiler thing has developed over the last few years. I remember when the first one came out it would have taken an extraordinary amount of effort to make it this far without knowing what happens as back then everyone was pretty open about it. Of course there was no Internet but still, papers and magazines were full of cartoonised plot descriptions.

I suppose it's an indication of how serialised quality US TV shows have taken over.

Honestly man, careful with spoilers. You've told me more there than any reviews I've read.

Edit: too late for me Rayvin. I'll let you off though. ;)

Sorry. I was pretty tired when I posted that and literally woke up this morning and the first thought I had was that I needed to edit it. Thought I'd got away with it.

Sorry. I was pretty tired when I posted that and literally woke up this morning and the first thought I had was that I needed to edit it. Thought I'd got away with it.

Harrison Ford Dog is displeased with you.

FQUph8K.png

Did you not think the bad guy was a bit pathetic?

It was a good film but he was a shocking villain. In my opinion at least

nah, I liked his petulant tantrums and the new things he could do with the force. Not as sinister as Darth Vader but he's clearly the dark villain of the new trilogy, and his showdown with his dad clears the path for him to "complete his training".

I imagine his will be the new story of redemption and an inevitable light sabre showdown with Rey - his cousin? The best bit about it was a return to the dysfunctional family soap opera plot lines of the originals. Not a trade dispute in sight, thank Christ - the Scifi is really just a backdrop.

I suppose the one criticism I had was it was almost a reboot or remake of a new hope. There was very little in the way of original story telling. But after the trade disputes and political negotiations in the prequels, Star Wars fans were clamouring for this. The big question is where it goes from here in the next two films

Edited by Dr Gloom