Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

Ull just equalised against the Scouse mackems. (There was a 'Rafa, get out of our club' banner in the away end. Disappeared presumably when they went 2-1 up, might see it back up in minute). :lol:

Cameroon 2-1 Burkina Faso: Engaging match between the hosts and a decent BF side. Comedy defending gifted two penalties to Cameroon, without which they might not have scored. BF had scored the opener after Cameroon's keeper flapped at a simple cross. Not doing the stereotypes of African keepers any favors. Aboubakar is a good striker with a solid scoring record wherever he's been, but for whatever reason, he moved to the $audi league this $ea$on, can't imagine why. 

Ethiopia 0-1 Cape Verde: Dire match between probably the second and third worst teams in the competition, played in front of a 90% or more empty stadium. Ethiopia received a red on 10 minutes and offered literally nothing from that point on. Cape Verde for their part labored to get the ball in the box and failed to take advantage of a few 2-on-1s that should've resulted in goals. If I were Burkina Faso I would definitely fancy my chances against either of these sides. 

• Like 2

Algeria 0-0 Sierra Leone: Algeria huffed and puffed to little effect, easily repelled by a lad who'd probably never even seen Africa before this tournament. When you look at the millions of pounds of talent in the Desert Foxes' side this has to go down as a very disappointing result. Slimani looked every inch the carthorse who played for us, Mahrez was mostly anonymous, and Brahimi missed a gilt-edged chance. As you can guess I'm absolutely torn up that the 2019 winners and tournament favorites, blah blah blah, couldn't get out of the blocks. 

Nigeria A-A Egypt: This match was cancelled due to lack of interest (from the Egypt players.) 

Sudan 0-0 Guinea-Bissau: Another tepid match. Guinea-Bissau may not have many household names but their squad is full of players with experience across the lesser lights of European leagues, and they'd have expected to win. Sudan were just happy to be here after a recent thrashing. GB had the chance to win but Pele (no relation, clearly :wink:) ballsed up his penalty after an atrocious run-up, then three GB players contrived to miss follow-up opportunities. If Pele had been playing for the school side I coach, and took a penalty like that, he'd have had the bollocking of his life and for a full international to fuck around like that was a big embarrassment, especially as this is the only match GB will be expected to win. 

Overall I have to be brutally honest and state none of these teams have lit the tournament up so far. Not a single match so far has featured more than one goal and most have been dry as the Sahara. The spirit-sapping conditions (more than 80% humidity) in Cameroon, plus COVID, aren't helping, but this is not exactly a feast of football. Morocco have impressed me the most so far. Maybe Cote d'Ivoire can announce themselves tomorrow against Equatorial Guinea, another side just happy to be present. 

That's all from Slapheed Makemba, your 2016 Yaounde Mirror Group Sports Writer of the Year and African footy correspondent. Laterz, lol.  

• Haha 1

canny bit of reporting there by the bbc's live text updates....

announced a goal for norwich. 

a few seconds later changed to goal for west ham's jarod bowen.

then a couple of more seconds disallowed it altogether!

:lol:

and now he has scored....

Edited by thebrokendoll