Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Just had a look and Trippier has played at LB 9 times for England. If anyone is going to switch to playing LB it likely will be Trippier, but I highly doubt it will be in the near future given how important Trippier is to us down our right flank, and in an attacking sense in general. You also have to factor in Livramento settling in and getting his full match sharpness back after his long layoff. As of now I'd be shocked if we don't play at least the first six or so games with the same back four we had last season, barring injury of course. If we can get the young, quick and athletic ball playing RCB understudy to Schar, we can take our time integrating both players. 

Am understudy to Schar would be great, preferably one with pace, which is our defence’s one obvious weakness - none of them are the quickest.

I’d still like to see us sign a proper modern attacking left back. I love Dan Burn but feel this experiment with him playing out of position will surely run its course when we play in the champions league. I’d much rather we was competing with Botman for the LCB spot.

I wouldn’t mind another forward option too. But then I’m a greedy cunt. Just nailed a massive vat of cheese fondue 🫕 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Targett was injured for a lot of last season and when he came back, they didn't want to unsettle defence so he didn't really get a look in. He's had a full pre season under his belt so provided he stays fit then I can see him getting starts this year. He did well for us when he came so I don't see any reason why he can't do it again. We've got Burn, and Ritchie and Dummett at LB if we're desperate. A LB or RCB would be nice to have as would another young striker or RW. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Am understudy to Schar would be great, preferably one with pace, which is our defence’s one obvious weakness - none of them are the quickest.

I’d still like to see us sign a proper modern attacking left back. I love Dan Burn but feel this experiment with him playing out of position will surely run its course when we play in the champions league. I’d much rather we was competing with Botman for the LCB spot.

I wouldn’t mind another forward option too. But then I’m a greedy cunt. Just nailed a massive vat of cheese fondue 🫕 

The thing about Burn is with Trippier bombing forward so much we quite often are almost playing 3 at the back which Burns ability as a centre half allows. I think his versatility and intelligence is underrated, and he is not really playing as a traditional left back in a flat back 4

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I remember the days on here when that would’ve been a euphemism 

Eddie Howe has been speaking to the media this morning and, though coy about the status of a proposed deal for Tino Livramento, has admitted he "likes" the Southampton player.

The Athletic reported on Thursday that Southampton had accepted an offer approaching £40million for the 20-year-old.

Asked if he could confirm the impending arrival, Howe said: “I’m not (able to), I’m slightly in the dark on that unfortunately, so let’s wait and see what happens over the next couple of days, but certainly I like the player."

Sandro Tonali and Harvey Barnes have also arrived this summer, but Howe is hopeful of a little more business, with Champions League commitments this term.

“We don’t want to carry a huge squad and we want everyone in the squad to feel like they’ve got a part to play, but we have the various competitions we’ll be involved in, so we need to be robust enough to deal with that challenge," he said. "Let’s see what happens – I think a maximum of a couple of players (to come in) but let’s wait and see.”

Howe did confirm that defender Harrison Ashby is heading to Swansea on loan.

"Harrison will go on loan to Swansea," Howe added."I think it’s crucial to his development that he plays games. Certainly he has done well for us in pre season but games are the next thing he needs and he’s never really had that in his career, a regular run of games. Fingers crossed he can get that at Swansea.”

I'm not sure it's a given that Livramento or Trippier will play left back. Last season we played with 4 at the back which morphed into 3 whenever Trippier advanced, Burn shifting across and the left sided midfielder and forward providing cover on the flanks. Part of the reason why ASM wasn't the man to hold down a place. 

Targett and Burn are fine at left back until such a time as a Trippier standard leftback becomes available at the right price. RCB is, for me, a higher priority. Without Schar we lose a lot of the outballs which caught so many opponents flatfooted. Dunno who we could pick up, Anderson from Palace is rumoured, but I dunno

image.png.0709bc232bda7a368dcac29ba3d00a1e.png

• Like 3

Personally, I quite like Andersen. He would see his signing well. He doesn't seem like a very different footballer to Schar to me and I think that what these graphs basically tell us is that Schar is better in the opposite area because we have scored more goals in his corner shots.

The other details are a little lower than those of Schar, but that can also be understood because it is not the same to play in a Newcastle that has been 4th than in a Crystal Palace, due to style of play.

I think he could be an interesting signing to be the third centre-back and to play now that Schar is not here.

Another option would be to spend a lot of money on a top center back and already trust him as part of the future with Botman and leave Schar in a secondary position. (Everything will depend on the severity of his injury).

• Like 4

Anderson is about as quick as Schar as far as I can tell. Maybe someone who watches Palace more can tell me otherwise, but if that's the case then I'm not keen. Anderson is basically just a younger version of Schar given his passing ability, particularly long balls. It'll cost obviously, but we need a younger version of Schar with elite pace. This van de Ven fella going to Spurs for example is absolutely rapid. 

Edited by Polarboy

12 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

80 million on a fella that scored 9 goals, crazy

Especially when you consider that we got Gordon with his seven goals for half that price.

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Don't believe it. I think we're in for a CB and nowt else at this stage.

So you can FORGET IT with your attacking midfielders.

Yeh I agree and hope they are wrong!

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Don't believe it. I think we're in for a CB and nowt else at this stage.

So you can FORGET IT with your attacking midfielders.

Shields Gazette going strong on Joachim Anderson :cuppa:

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Got to be bollocks. We've got 2 players for every position and then some across the midfield and up front 

We still need a left back 😀

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season